Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Has anybody replaced the audio system?

I was messing around with the audio setting in my ST with the Sony HD system and and try as might for whatever reason it doesn't sound as good to me as the sound system in my SE. So I'm wondering if anybody has had this issue and if so, what did you replace it with?

HBEcoBeaST

I added an lc7i line out converter to a budget pioneer 5 ch amp, speakers and slim 12" sub. Coupled with some cheap dynamat and foam acoustic panels it sounds great. Problem with the FiST is a lot of road noise to overcome.

Replacing the head unit is not OEM quality, you lose steering wheel controls and the metra dash unit is ugly. Or you can add a digital signal processor (DSP), but $$$. Any other solutions are piggybacks and you lose steering wheel controls.Unfortunately, You can't just 'drop-in' a new head unit in most newer cars.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Another option is using Forscan to remove the Sony Sound Processing, which should "clean" the signal to each speaker allowing you to turn them up louder. Our stock speakers really aren't that bad, but we do seriously lack "low end" so any kind of sub is advisable.

My plan at some point is to run a 4-channel amp to the door speakers, and keep my mono amp & sub setup the way it is. I really like the stock functionality of everything so I don't want to go with a separate DSP or head unit.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Another option is using Forscan to remove the Sony Sound Processing, which should "clean" the signal to each speaker allowing you to turn them up louder. Our stock speakers really aren't that bad, but we do seriously lack "low end" so any kind of sub is advisable.

My plan at some point is to run a 4-channel amp to the door speakers, and keep my mono amp & sub setup the way it is. I really like the stock functionality of everything so I don't want to go with a separate DSP or head unit.
How do you disable the sound processing? I poked around last weekend in ForScan but didn't find the setting to change. Help...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Off the top of my head I can’t remember the exact line you need to change to disable the Sony processing. I’ve tried it in the past and the volume gain was nice but I found that I didn’t quite like the sound afterwards so I changed it back (this was just my preference). I do have a 10” sub in the trunk with an LC2i and didn’t notice the bass quality change one way or another regarding the processing.

However, to the original poster, there is a way to change another line of code in Forscan to both disable the factory processing and convert the signal to line-level out. Supposedly this makes a DSP installation easy peasy since you have a flat signal to work with. I have not tried this personally, but it would be an option for you since replacing the head unit in this car is no bueno. Hopefully someone chimes in with the lines in Forscan required for the change, I can’t remember right now. It’s been posted in the past.

Yeah I'm unsure of the specific details regarding Forscan useage, but have just read that it can be done. At some point I started to take notes but in all honesty after the addition of my sub, I'm pleased with the current sound system. It's not gonna win any awards but it'll turn a few heads up close :) lol

OP
Xiocuatl
Thread Starter #10
Hmmmm what subs would you recommend and is installation difficult?

Hmmmm what subs would you recommend and is installation difficult?
Installation is fairly simple. There's a plug on the driver side firewall you can run the power cable through and then down driver side to the rear (or under driver seat). And then just find a ground somewhere. Tap off the front speakers and run them to a line-output converter (I recommend the LC2i or LC7i or whatever by Audiocontrol) and then RCA's to amp. I used an Add-A-Circuit on the sunroof fuse for the remote wire, but there are many options for that.

I think most people would either recommend an under-seat subwoofer in the front if you just want a little bass fill, or a 10" in the rear for a little more oomph. It all comes down to preference on sub recommendations. For reference, I'm running an Orion XTR 10" in a ported box tuned to 38hz on a Pioneer 800 watt rms amp. A little overkill for this car, I keep it turned down

danbfree

3000 Post Club
The Forscan thing is pretty easy, can't believe you guys are posting in the same sub and ignoring all the Forscan posts... Use THIS thread and the links there including the one to the Forscan settings spreadsheet for the exact setting to change... I couldn't possibly imagine trying to throw money at the problem instead when it can be so easily restored. It's makes a WORLD of difference, sound is FAR superior, you literally don't hear frequencies being clipped on the fly and have much more rounded sound. From there you can throw in some Kicker 6.75" in the rear doors for bass and even for the front doors if you don't care about the component tweeter, otherwise it's a custom install for a tweeter in a component package... Anyway, even after disabling Sony processing, I'd tap off the front channels for a sub just to make sure you get the full frequency, although as long as you never change the "Driver" or "all passenger" sound setting off "All passenger" supposedly the rear signal doesn't change.