Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Having trouble updating SYNC 3

I have a 2016 Fiesta and I’m currently on SYNC 3 version 1.0. I followed the instructions on Ford’s website and downloaded the update onto the usb and ive tried to download into my car multiple times and its not updating. Any tips?

SteveS

1000 Post Club
What does it do/not do?

Did you follow the procedure of creating the USB drive to the tee? It's rather arcane.

OP
G
Thread Starter #5
What does it do/not do?

Did you follow the procedure of creating the USB drive to the tee? It's rather arcane.
Yes, I made sure to format it correctly and everything. When i plug it in it says “device detected” but it never starts the update.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
And you got the update from Ford's website using your VIN? https://help.ford.com/update-sync/usb/

Have you made any modifications to your screen and system?

At the bottom of the page I linked are links to contact Ford support by chat or phone if you have trouble with the update.

We have 2 Fords with Sync 3 that I've done updates on and once I figured out you have to sit there the whole 20-30 minutes with the car running, watching the screen for the appropriate time to press OK, there really isn't anything to doing the update if you follow the instructions exactly as written on that page.

OP
G
Thread Starter #7
And you got the update from Ford's website using your VIN? https://help.ford.com/update-sync/usb/

At the bottom of the page I linked are links to contact Ford support by chat or phone if you have trouble with the update.

We have 2 Fords with Sync 3 that I've done updates on and once I figured out you have to sit there the whole 20-30 minutes with the car running, watching the screen for the appropriate time to press OK, there really isn't anything to doing the update if you follow the instructions exactly as written on that page.
Yes, I followed the instructions exactly with my vin. Theres no modifications done to my screen. I just erased the flash drive and I’m currently trying again. I drove around with it for about an hour yesterday and nothing happened so I’m pretty confused.

OP
G
Thread Starter #8

Update: I wasn’t using Ford’s detailed instructions. I’m now doing it again and following everything exactly. Thanks for your help!

OP
G
Thread Starter #9

Just finished all of the steps on the computer, but when I plugged it into the vehicle I got this message: “Installation failed. The installation has run out of space or does not work with this version”

try removing android auto/apple car play, remove all paired bluetooth devices and then do a master reset, it may help with the space issue

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
My 2016 non-nav required changing the Sync 3 to a new version by the dealer to get updated. Ford gave up on trying to update the non-nav version with too little memory to do an auto update and installed a new unit. Has worked fine since.