Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Heat shielding?

Hey hey, what are everyone’s thoughts on using heat shielding on the air box, induction hose, and crossover pipe?

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
if yours are stock, they're plastic so already fairly poor thermal conductors - the return on investment would be negligible.

I got a metal crossover and it's got that cerakote stuff on it, it does a pretty good job of insulating.

seconded on pointless for airbox (unless you have an aftermarket metal one) and induction hose. i've heard if you go aftermarket crossover, heat reflecting/cerakote is a decent play. also read heat reflecting is pointless if the crossover pipe is polished metal.

OP
Wolfsbora
Thread Starter #4
if yours are stock, they're plastic so already fairly poor thermal conductors - the return on investment would be negligible.

I got a metal crossover and it's got that cerakote stuff on it, it does a pretty good job of insulating.
seconded on pointless for airbox (unless you have an aftermarket metal one) and induction hose. i've heard if you go aftermarket crossover, heat reflecting/cerakote is a decent play. also read heat reflecting is pointless if the crossover pipe is polished metal.
My airbox is stock but my induction hose, crossover pipe, and most other hoses are aftermarket. The crossover has the cerakote stuff.

OP
Wolfsbora
Thread Starter #5
If the plastic airbox is susceptible to heat because of its material, wouldn’t heat shielding help with that? I feel like it would be even more beneficial to plastic items.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
If the plastic airbox is susceptible to heat because of its material, wouldn’t heat shielding help with that? I feel like it would be even more beneficial to plastic items.
Really, heat will transfer through the metal shielding faster than it would through the plastic. The gold tape stuff doesn't do a whole lot to begin with the way most end users would install it.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
My airbox is stock but my induction hose, crossover pipe, and most other hoses are aftermarket. The crossover has the cerakote stuff.
Maybe investigate cerakote - but first, I would check IAT's and see what the delta is between car cold and car hot. Remember, the intake path constantly has air whooshing through it, so you're doing some level of air cooling it just by using the throttle. Idling in one spot isn't a good way to check IAT's because you're just sitting static, as soon as you start moving and using the throttle you've got air moving around and through the parts you are looking at cooling. I did the cerakote crossover because it doesn't really get much airflow.

Business6

Plastic parts have a LOWER heat transfer coefficient than metal parts. They will stay cool longer. Heat shielding is irrelevant on plastic parts most of the time.
But longer, in this case, means maybe a couple of minutes. The only benefit the airbox has over intakes is using the snorkel to cool IATs faster and maintain a better cap on temps while at sustained speeds. Otherwise IATs are just as bad as a lot of intakes.

This car produces far too much heat in the engine bay for plastic to be superior for more than a moment especially come summer time.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I’ve known the gold tape stuff isn’t very effective. I was looking into this adhesive backed shielding. It did some research and it seems to be pretty well regarded.

https://www.autozone.com/emission-c...OHt-UomadpXW9_4jSfhoCEnkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
If you like the look, go for it - but if you are doing it for overall improvement in cooling - with our engine bay setup its not going to make a huge difference. A lot of people check their IAT's sitting in one spot - but sitting in one spot doesn't matter, driving around does. Once you're moving and the turbo is suckin' air, its flowing enough that for the most part the air doesn't ever get to linger in one place long enough to pick up much heat. Get a bigger intercooler and drive the car and have fun.