Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hello from Vegas

DesertST

Hey there. Just recently picked up a 2016 fiesta ST with the works (seats, moon roof, mats etc. Love the car. Absolute blast. Especially as my muscle memory from 20 years ago comes back to me in regards to driving a stick shift. I was wondering though, when I picked it up from the dealer the coolant level was filled to "maximum" when the engine was cold. In the course of 4 days, the coolant level dropped to just above minimum and has stayed there ever since. Since it doesn't seem to still be dropping could this just be the system purging extra amounts? When the engine is warm, it will rise to about halfway between max and minimum. I suppose i'm a little extra cautious about this having known about the recalls on the 14 and 15 models before purchasing this car.

Flaco

2000 Post Club
Hey there. Just recently picked up a 2016 fiesta ST with the works (seats, moon roof, mats etc. Love the car. Absolute blast. I was wondering though, when I picked it up from the dealer the coolant level was filled to "maximum" when the engine was cold. In the course of 4 days, the coolant level dropped to just above minimum and has stayed there ever since.
Welcome ! If I fill my coolant level to the max line same thing happens. Don't think is a problem.

Business6

You can top off the coolant but the difference between min/max on the reservoir isn't all that much. After they did my coolant system recall I had the same thing and I had to go in for an unrelated maintenance two weeks later. I pointed out the same thing and they just topped it off.

One way or another, desert climate and the FiST, or any forced induction car, aren't a great combination so just be mindful of your driving and it should be fine. You can take a look at some of my most recent posts for an indication of what your car is probably experiencing as well.

Buy an extra container of the premixed coolant to ease your mind as it's almost like an accessory for this car. Same with an improved radiator.

OP
D

DesertST

Thread Starter #7
You can top off the coolant but the difference between min/max on the reservoir isn't all that much. After they did my coolant system recall I had the same thing and I had to go in for an unrelated maintenance two weeks later. I pointed out the same thing and they just topped it off.

One way or another, desert climate and the FiST, or any forced induction car, aren't a great combination so just be mindful of your driving and it should be fine. You can take a look at some of my most recent posts for an indication of what your car is probably experiencing as well.

Buy an extra container of the premixed coolant to ease your mind as it's almost like an accessory for this car. Same with an improved radiator.
I'm sad to say I returned the car today. I'm not going to lie, the statement that a bottle of coolant is like an accessory for the car played a part in it. The car continued to lose coolant and dealer could not find a leak even after pressure testing. Sounded identical to past recalls with the 1.6L and bad head gaskets with the car consuming coolant. Since the car was a 2016 there was no protection with ford over this. I've got a 2004 Mitsubishi that I've never, not once had to add coolant to. Really bummed though because I loved how it drove.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I'm sad to say I returned the car today. I'm not going to lie, the statement that a bottle of coolant is like an accessory for the car played a part in it. The car continued to lose coolant and dealer could not find a leak even after pressure testing. Sounded identical to past recalls with the 1.6L and bad head gaskets with the car consuming coolant. Since the car was a 2016 there was no protection with ford over this. I've got a 2004 Mitsubishi that I've never, not once had to add coolant to. Really bummed though because I loved how it drove.
I would say keep looking you got a bad apple it happens sometimes. It does not mean they are all that way look at 2017-2019’s hell even look at other 2016’s . Though I would say if your in Vegas I would recommend which ever one you buy make your first upgrade a Mountune or Mishimoto Alumiunum radiator.
The stock one is crap for desert climates. Then the other thing would be your intercooler as they are wimpy too. Get those two things out of the way and you will have a reliable car thats a blast.

OP
D

DesertST

Thread Starter #9
I would say keep looking you got a bad apple it happens sometimes. It does not mean they are all that way look at 2017-2019’s hell even look at other 2016’s . Though I would say if your in Vegas I would recommend which ever one you buy make your first upgrade a Mountune or Mishimoto Alumiunum radiator.
The stock one is crap for desert climates. Then the other thing would be your intercooler as they are wimpy too. Get those two things out of the way and you will have a reliable car thats a blast.
Did Ford update the engine for the 2017's and above? I tried searching but couldn't find out.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Did Ford update the engine for the 2017's and above? I tried searching but couldn't find out.
There was a part number change in 16. After the 2014-15 issue but honestly I have a number of friends that own and drive 2014-15‘s that have not had a problem. Most people do not. The ones that do of course always speak up about it. Happy people don’t complain or talk about how great it is they just enjoy it. lol

Like I said before you bought a bad Apple. First things first whatever you buy have it checked it out by a mechanic if its used. Unless you know enough to look it over yourself. Though hell for $70-100 you can get piece of mind knowing everything that A: might be wrong or B: will need fixing down the road possibly.
You gotta remember you live in a unforgiving climate its gonna torture cars that otherwise might be fine. lol
If you do buy from a dealer I would try to get a certified pre owned from Ford. Otherwise look on the private market and go the Mechanic route. There are good cars out there.

Business6

Well, shit.

If that specific car has an issue the dealer can't figure out it wouldn't matter what it is, I'd return it, too. The bottle of coolant is something I'd recommend for literally anyone with forced induction who lives in a place reminiscent of the surface of the sun: every turbo car struggles with cooling in 100°+ weather.

It's also best to hear honesty from people. The car is awesome as hell despite the flaws--practically all of which can be addressed by you.

Best of luck with whatever you choose to do but I'd highly suggest looking for another one.

There was a part number change in 16. After the 2014-15 issue but honestly I have a number of friends that own and drive 2014-15‘s that have not had a problem. Most people do not. The ones that do of course always speak up about it. Happy people don’t complain or talk about how great it is they just enjoy it. lol

Like I said before you bought a bad Apple. First things first whatever you buy have it checked it out by a mechanic if its used. Unless you know enough to look it over yourself. Though hell for $70-100 you can get piece of mind knowing everything that A: might be wrong or B: will need fixing down the road possibly.
You gotta remember you live in a unforgiving climate its gonna torture cars that otherwise might be fine. lol
If you do buy from a dealer I would try to get a certified pre owned from Ford. Otherwise look on the private market and go the Mechanic route. There are good cars out there.

Exactly THIS! I purchased my 2015 FiST at a local Ford dealership as a CPO vehicle (42k miles). None of the past or recent recalls have affected my car. She’s been reliable since the day I got her. I just love her with all my heart. (Not bragging, just my experience)