Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

HELP!! car won't start, battery is charged and the ignition tuns on but no crank.

Hello,

Recently I have purchased a 2014 Fiesta ST from Copart. The car will not crank over, but with a fresh battery the car will enter the on position and relays will click like the car is trying to start, but no crank. The only mechanical issues that I have identified are a broken MAP sensor and wiring, broken fan shroud, and a torn evap line. I believe that I heard the fuel pump priming as well. I have the clutch pushed in and brake engaged. Please if any techs know what is going on or can help me get it to crank any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Bad starter? Bad starter wiring? And 2014 have a known issue that the ground of the battery is not secure enough to the body and with corrosion will limit amperage.

OP
L
Thread Starter #5
Update: cleaned negative ground and replaced fob battery, still no start. Clutch switch is still functional, and starter will spin when solenoid is jumped but will not engage the engine. Had battery tested and it came back as bad. Will replace tomorrow and update.

OP
L
Thread Starter #6
Update 2: replaced battery, problem persists. Car is throwing a P007B and P0113 code, presumably because of the map sensor. I'm going to rep;lace that nest, but i don't think it's likely that it is the issue.

Wow. It sounds like you really bought into a project. I hope you knew this going in and the price was right.

OP
L
Thread Starter #8
I knew it didn't run, but I didn't think it was going to be this tough. I bought it cheap so there's plenty of money that I can invest before I'm underwater.

Yeah, some time ago a friend bought a barely running car for pittance because the owner assumed the worst and didn't want to fix it. It turns out one spark plug had the electrode finger broken off. So replacing a dollar spark plug fixed the car. You never know.

OP
L
Thread Starter #10
Update: cleaned the engine to body ground, no change. looking through the notification log in the settings, I found a warning from a while back that said "Immobilizer malfunction. Service now!". Starting to think that the immobilizer is causing the no start. Once the body and suspension repairs are squared away I will tow the car to the dealership to get reprogrammed.

OP
L
Thread Starter #11
Update: MAP sensor was installed last night, still no start, same symptoms. I seem to have misplaced my code reader, but i will pull codes when I find it again

Remember that I was having that same problem? Well in the dealership they changed the clutch switch sensor and apparently the problem is fixed. I will post any update if anything changes. I'm at work right now, later I will post the warranty bill with the details.

OP
L
Thread Starter #13
Problem Solved. The connector on the front left side of the car was not fully engaged, once the lever was closed the car started right up. Additionally, I highly recommend the factory service manual, it has a 26 step diagnosis guide that made this much easier.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Problem Solved. The connector on the front left side of the car was not fully engaged, once the lever was closed the car started right up. Additionally, I highly recommend the factory service manual, it has a 26 step diagnosis guide that made this much easier.
Can you elaborate connector on the front left side?

The clutch switch sensor didn't solve the problem, this morning the car didn't turn on. What's that front connector? Where is it located?

PunkST

2000 Post Club
I am also curious. Ive had an intermittent no start since my car got repaired from a deer hit.