Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Help Me Pick New Suspension

HBEcoBeaST

Wrapping my head around all options is making me confused. Now I'm indecisive. Insight would be appreciated. My FiST is a daily that sees 300+ miles of commuting every week and very spirited driving around town on a daily basis, occasional timed cone events and aggressive canyon runs. I want more performance, a less jarring ride and acceptable ground clearance for big dips and driveways.

Requirements:
-Budget < ~$900
-No unreliable/bad quality 'budget' coilovers
-No Loss of Turn-in/response
-Close to OEM ride height or minor drop. I drive on lots of steep driveways and potholed roads
-Fit 205/50r16 tires on 16x8 Konig Dekagrams (fender rolling in the front is a last resort but adds ~$120 in costs that takes form my budget)

Possible Set-Ups:
-Bilstein B14 for REGULAR Fiesta for minimal drop (will order off ebay UK due to backorder)+ new OEM replacement parts. Most expensive option, couldn't afford fender roll
-Bilstein B8 and spring combo (possibly OEM/swift/ST springs if not too low)
-Koni Orange/Swift combo (probably too low for me)
-ST Suspensions XT cheaper coilovers (not convinced on performance or quality)
-A better solution....

Anyone have any suggestions or experience to share? Much appreciated.
THanks!!!:D

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
The Bilstein B6 is what you would want with the OEM springs. Honestly that's what I plan in the future.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
If you're willing to stretch your budget a bit, BC Racing makes customizable coilovers. The set runs about $1k. I have had it for 4 years - a big improvement over the OEM setup, IMHO. No tower mods needed - straight bolt-in. You can dial in either caster or camber.

Bilstein B14s go for under $900. There's of course B6 or B8s+springs.

Last edited:
OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #4
The Bilstein B6 is what you would want with the OEM springs. Honestly that's what I plan in the future.

Definitely considered the B6s but was under the impression the b8s are more aggressive and for lower cars? Since Bilstein offers the same part # b6 and b8 for the regular fiesta and the st figured I'd go with the more aggressive, lower option since we are a little lower than the regular fiesta. Or do I have this all wrong?
It's definitely one of the more budget friendly options.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #5
If you're willing to stretch your budget a bit, BC Racing makes customizable coilovers. The set runs about $1k. I have had it for 4 years - a big improvement over the OEM setup, IMHO. No tower mods needed - straight bolt-in. You can dial in either caster or camber.

Bilstein B14s go for under $900. There's of course B6 or B8s+springs.
Is there only one model of BC Coils? What spring rates do you have? I've heard second hand stories of BC coilovers not holding up over time, squeaks etc, and honestly I'm a little weary of adjustable suspension since I don't have work space for me car to tinker with settings. But if there's like a settings guide and you have good experience I can get BC's for about $900 if they're all the same model.

Gives me confidence if you've had them 4 years. My FiST will most likely be a lifer lol.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
I have the BR series. They are adjustable (40 clicks on the top) and, I believe can be custom valved. 2jr has them - but they're more expensive if you customize. I have to see what spring rates are - I got two sets from Joe for the rears (and one is in the box, never used...)

There's also this option: =https://www.fiestastforum.com/threa...&share_tid=20898&share_fid=74193&share_type=t

And - again B14 or B8. One thing about non-sealed units is that if you live in the snow belt and drive in the winter, you may want to look into corrosion inhibitors. Im in Houston, so - no road salt for me.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Definitely considered the B6s but was under the impression the b8s are more aggressive and for lower cars? Since Bilstein offers the same part # b6 and b8 for the regular fiesta and the st figured I'd go with the more aggressive, lower option since we are a little lower than the regular fiesta. Or do I have this all wrong?
It's definitely one of the more budget friendly options.
From what I understand they are the exact same except the B8 has a shorter body for lowered cars.
Swift springs were designed to be used with the OEM shock. Ron and a few others actually recommended using the B6 with swift springs. Most seem to use the B8 anyway though.
I'm not lowering my car I can already see me ripping the front bumper off.

After doing a little bit of research it appears the B6 and Swift springs are recommended together across the board for all sorts of different cars.

Last edited:
OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #8
I have the BR series. They are adjustable (40 clicks on the top) and, I believe can be custom valved. 2jr has them - but they're more expensive if you customize. I have to see what spring rates are - I got two sets from Joe for the rears (and one is in the box, never used...)

There's also this option: =https://www.fiestastforum.com/threa...&share_tid=20898&share_fid=74193&share_type=t

And - again B14 or B8. One thing about non-sealed units is that if you live in the snow belt and drive in the winter, you may want to look into corrosion inhibitors. Im in Houston, so - no road salt for me.
I will look into them I see 6K front / 4K rear seems to be the go-to spring rate. Not sure on damping settings or height but looks like they have a LOT of height adjustability both ways which is nice. I don't have to worry about road salt at all but I am by the ocean.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #9
From what I understand they are the exact same except the B8 has a shorter body for lowered cars.
Swift springs were designed to be used with the OEM shock. Ron and a few others actually recommended using the B6 with swift springs. Most seem to use the B8 anyway though.
I'm not lowering my car I can already see me ripping the front bumper off.

After doing a little bit of research it appears the B6 and Swift springs are recommended together across the board for all sorts of different cars.

They are the only Bilstein model available domestically for the time being... But this description makes me nervous.

"B6 Series Front Driver Side Heavy Duty Twin-Tube Strut by Bilstein®. Quantity: 1 per Pack. If you expect more damping power from your shock absorber – even under loads – but don’t want to opt for an all-out sports model, the BILSTEIN B6 is the ideal solution." more details on - https://www.carid.com/2014-ford-fiesta-suspension-systems/bilstein-b6-series-shocks-288309764.html

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
They are the only Bilstein model available domestically for the time being... But this description makes me nervous.

"B6 Series Front Driver Side Heavy Duty Twin-Tube Strut by Bilstein[emoji2400]. Quantity: 1 per Pack. If you expect more damping power from your shock absorber – even under loads – but don’t want to opt for an all-out sports model, the BILSTEIN B6 is the ideal solution." more details on - https://www.carid.com/2014-ford-fiesta-suspension-systems/bilstein-b6-series-shocks-288309764.html
If you do decide to go with them don't get them from that site. Get them from RockAuto cheaper. Google RockAuto discount code and get 5% off as well.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
B6 is basically very close to factory replacement struts. Also I have never heard of Bilstein making a twin tube they are known for being Monotube gas.
Koni makes twin tube .
ST Coilovers are a division of KW . Both brands are twin tube design and KW used to source the parts from Koni so there area true Koni style shock.,
Some people like Monotube for smooth track use an twin tube setup is better for a car being used on street though as it rides better. There are more details online about this.
I put the ST’s on my car and like them they ride nice and they are very planted in the twisties.
I went for the top of the line ST’s for the sake of adjustability.

Another brand my friend swears by is Meister R and he is one of the fastest drivers on Angeles Crest.
So you might consider those, they are also a Monotube design.

I would stretch your budget slightly. Based on your "needs" you sound like like somebody that would really get the value out of higher quality coilovers vs the compromise of even the best shock/spring combos. I would look at the YCW coilovers advertised here in the vendor section. I have been doing my research and they look like the best option to me short of the really high dollar stuff. One user has them on here and sounds very happy with them relative to the ST's he replaced.

Good feedback on the BCs. I've had them for a few years on my Neon and love them. Glad to hear good things on this platform

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #15
Wow, so many new options to research. I am leaning towards coilovers at the moment although I don't want something I have to adjust or 'mess with' on a regular basis. Being a 'street mechanic' isn't really my cup of tea since it's frowned upon where I live (huntington beach) and sketchy/dirty in homeless/tweaker/garbage filled LA (USC area).

Leaning towards the BCs, Bilstein B14s for regular Fiesta and I'm debating on the MeisterRs. A little weary hearing several people saying that BCs and MeisterRs can be noisy and need regular tightening/adjustment? Is this true? Are coilovers in general like this?

The YCWs look awesome but are a bit above my budget constraints. Currently saving for a house, wedding, radiator, IC and will most likely need new tires by the end of the year.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I would stretch your budget slightly. Based on your "needs" you sound like like somebody that would really get the value out of higher quality coilovers vs the compromise of even the best shock/spring combos. I would look at the YCW coilovers advertised here in the vendor section. I have been doing my research and they look like the best option to me short of the really high dollar stuff. One user has them on here and sounds very happy with them relative to the ST's he replaced.
That was a very biased reaction by the person that posted the differences. In fact the differences he posted had nothing to do with how the rode and everything to do with the supposed durability in an area that does salt its roads. Thing is even though he says he did not drive the car in the winter Salt does not easily wash away and once you do get some on/in your car its extremely hard to get rid of.
In fact its so hard that cars that run Bonneville Salt flats actually get dissembled completely and gone over excessively after each time out on the flats.
I am not trying to start controversy here just stating that while the person had a problem its one of hundreds of thousands that run ST springs and coilovers with no problems . You never here from the happy people you only here from the people with problems.

That was a very biased reaction by the person that posted the differences. In fact the differences he posted had nothing to do with how the rode and everything to do with the supposed durability in an area that does salt its roads. Thing is even though he says he did not drive the car in the winter Salt does not easily wash away and once you do get some on/in your car its extremely hard to get rid of.
In fact its so hard that cars that run Bonneville Salt flats actually get dissembled completely and gone over excessively after each time out on the flats.
I am not trying to start controversy here just stating that while the person had a problem its one of hundreds of thousands that run ST springs and coilovers with no problems . You never here from the happy people you only here from the people with problems.

I have ST's on my MK2 VW right now. I have had V3's, PSS9's, FK's and probably 5 sets of good or top quality shock/spring combos. I think I can speak with some comparative 1st hand knowledge.

The ST's are at the high end of the budget coilover sets, they are notorious for corrosion issues and overall quality is decent but nothing spectacular. In my Mk2 that's a summer only 5k mile a year car that's fine for me. For a newer daily driven car I think there are better options.

I know little about the YCW stuff but from what I have read and tried to dig up they look like a budget high end set. My ST's have been ok but I would not buy them again. After having better stuff I know where the money went, and after having cheaper stuff dont think the ST's are worth it.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I have ST's on my MK2 VW right now. I have had V3's, PSS9's, FK's and probably 5 sets of good or top quality shock/spring combos. I think I can speak with some comparative 1st hand knowledge.

The ST's are at the high end of the budget coilover sets, they are notorious for corrosion issues and overall quality is decent but nothing spectacular. In my Mk2 that's a summer only 5k mile a year car that's fine for me. For a newer daily driven car I think there are better options.

I know little about the YCW stuff but from what I have read and tried to dig up they look like a budget high end set. My ST's have been ok but I would not buy them again. After having better stuff I know where the money went, and after having cheaper stuff dont think the ST's are worth it.
Fair I respect your assessment a lot more. I would honestly tell you the Meister R is gonna be a better budget coilover than the YCW due to the amount of testing and research they have done and especially running on our cars. I considered them seriously before picking up my ST’s. If Koni made a coilover setup for our cars I would buy that in a heartbeat as I am a big Koni fan.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #20
The MeisterR look pretty sweet and I'd get the remote adjustment so I wouldn't have to remove the wheels to adjust the rear compression/rebound.