Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

help with dissapearing coolant please

hey guys so my coolant is disappearing I fill it up to the max line and about 2-3 weeks later its at the minimum line. keep in mind where I am its like 90degrees everyday... there is also not a drop on my driveway or anything under the car...so iv done some research and it says it could be leaking internally? or it could be a shitty reservoir cap? if its leaking internally wouldn't my temps be off or my cylinder corrections? everything is normal iv just had my car tuned by adam and everything looked normal to him to power is fine to...also would it be leaking at this rate if its internal issue or more or less? I'm looking for some knowledgable input pls, has anyone else had this issue? I'm pretty concerned...I just wqanna drive my damn car and not have to be worried about problems or issues lol. thanks in advance

OP
F
Thread Starter #2
I just cant see how that coolant could be sitting in the cylinders, it would have to mess up the detonation right? coolants not explosive like gas....and I'm full bolt on e30 dealerships just hassle and its far easier to blame something on mods for them...u guys are my only hope lol

Auto parts stores sell simple kits to test your coolant to determine if products of combustion are getting into the coolant.

You can also pressure test the cooling system.

If still no conclusive results, you might try a bit of radiator stop leak ( I.e. Bar's Leak). Some people frown upon coolant stop leak products, but when investigative teardown/ repairs are not feasible, its a good option.

Pressure test the system, and try using a concussion tester like mentioned above, but please for the love of God avoid stop leak unless you want to gunk up your entire cooling system and everything it touches.

OP
F
Thread Starter #5
to be honest I think I'm just being paranoid, its been super hot here and I heard in warm weather you should use a little more water then coolant, I haven't done that. the cars never overheated and I just got a new radiator installed from a fender bender possibly there is some air in there?if it persists I will try the dip test thingy.

There could be a small amount of air bleeding out of the cooling system as well. There's a lot of plumbing in our cooling system, which means a lot of places for air to get trapped. Keep on adding coolant and hopefully it will fully burp free of air. If not, I would pressure test if for a possible loose hose connection (due to is recent past service).

Also, don't rule out another damaged external component in to cooling system as well. Lots of times a pressure test will only show to largest leak. You go on to fixing the leak, and it crazy.... another leaking down the chain in the system.

It can be very hard to visually diagnose an external cooling system leak because some leaking only happen at a pressurized/running temperature state. Any small leak at running temp will instantly evaporate and not drip/stream out of the leaking area.

Hopefully a pressure test will show another external leak in the system. If not, its time to look at the HVAC side of the system or worse, any signs of hydrocarbons/carbon monoxide in the cooling system.

OP
F
Thread Starter #7
There could be a small amount of air bleeding out of the cooling system as well. There's a lot of plumbing in our cooling system, which means a lot of places for air to get trapped. Keep on adding coolant and hopefully it will fully burp free of air. If not, I would pressure test if for a possible loose hose connection (due to is recent past service).

Also, don't rule out another damaged external component in to cooling system as well. Lots of times a pressure test will only show to largest leak. You go on to fixing the leak, and it crazy.... another leaking down the chain in the system.

It can be very hard to visually diagnose an external cooling system leak because some leaking only happen at a pressurized/running temperature state. Any small leak at running temp will instantly evaporate and not drip/stream out of the leaking area.

Hopefully a pressure test will show another external leak in the system. If not, its time to look at the HVAC side of the system or worse, any signs of hydrocarbons/carbon monoxide in the cooling system.
iv checked around every hose clamp and hose leading from the coolant reservoir and there all tight and not even a hint of moisture, iv never seen a drop on the ground underneath the car and I haven't seen any droplets forming anywhere under the car. I filled it up yesterday and drove about 10 miles today in the heat its exactly where it was yesterday. lets hope for the best

I'm banking on the fact that there was some air still in the system post the radiator replacement. These cars bleed into the overfill as you drive them, which means that as that air bubble got pulled out of the system, it had to pull coolant into the system to make up for it.

Just keep an eye on it for a little bit.

OP
F
Thread Starter #9
I'm banking on the fact that there was some air still in the system post the radiator replacement. These cars bleed into the overfill as you drive them, which means that as that air bubble got pulled out of the system, it had to pull coolant into the system to make up for it.

Just keep an eye on it for a little bit.
that's what I'm thinking I mean theres not a drop anywhere everythings tight as hell, no white smoke. performance is great, I mean there would have to be some sort of indicator all this coupled with the fact I just had a new radiator put in (its brand spanking new oem for sure).. I think its prob air in the system. as you said though I gonna keep an eye on it. I hate worrying about my car lol I love this little thing to much..but you cant worry about every little thing. thanks so much for all the input guys, you all really help out a lot.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Mines at the dealer a second time for this. It pressure tested fine but on first morning start it runs rough and puts out white sweet smelling smoke. They didn't have a test kit available for checking coolant for hydrocarbons. Takes about 500 miles to drop below min. I've read up on escapes having this problem due to micro cracks in the head. This was supposedly cured in 2014's.

OP
F
Thread Starter #11
Mines at the dealer a second time for this. It pressure tested fine but on first morning start it runs rough and puts out white sweet smelling smoke. They didn't have a test kit available for checking coolant for hydrocarbons. Takes about 500 miles to drop below min. I've read up on escapes having this problem due to micro cracks in the head. This was supposedly cured in 2014's.
yea I don't think mine has that going on because it doesn't have the white smoke. goodluck, I know how annoying these things can be... post baack the results and what ends up happening. all the best