Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Help with Intercooler Install

OP
Hypergram

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
look at the photos of the whoosh V1 or stock. They bolt onto the cooler vertically near the ends. The nipple goes into a hole in the car to keep the intercooler from moving around, the bottom is bolted in place to help hold the intercooler up if memory serves.
Thank you! Any other special info you think I should know about the install?

Attachments

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The V1 intercooler had those brackets built into the intercooler.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Insert a flat head into that flattened out section and pry up the middle to remove the whole thing. Kind of works like a wall-molly for hanging heavy objects into drywall (kind of)...

OP
Hypergram

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
Insert a flat head into that flattened out section and pry up the middle to remove the whole thing. Kind of works like a wall-molly for hanging heavy objects into drywall (kind of)...
yeah that’s what I was trying, but I was getting a fair bit of resistance so I didn’t want to push too far.

OP
Hypergram

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
Are these on far enough? They don't look like it, but they really wanna go on any further...

Attachments

Spork1569

Are these on far enough? They don't look like it, but they really wanna go on any further...
I'd try to loosen it as far as the clamp can and go as far in as possible. The charge pipes can have a tendency to pop off with enough boost.

I'd also recommend double clamping the hot side for that exact reason as well. Jeff also made a video about the double clamping a while back.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
You can also use Hairspray as lubricant to help get the hose on and then it acts as a light adhesive to hold the hose on the Pipe or intercooler inlets as it dries. I also Double clamp everything as I had issues with blowing hoses off. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

DEss

No it doesn't appear to be. And it may be worth the extra few dollars to get some t-bolt clamps. If you do, make sure the angle of the bolt is accessible with the bumper cover back on - otherwise you'll need to remove it again if you didn't tighten it enough or if the hose gets blown off.

DEss

OP
Hypergram

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
Next time I get a chance I will get some T-Bolt Clamps and some hairspray to get them on extra secure. They're on tight at least, and I managed to pull it on about 3/4 of an inch further.

OP
Hypergram

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #16
What would happen if I did blow off a charge pipe? Would the car still be drivable, atleast to get it home? Would there be any serious damage?

Spork1569

What would happen if I did blow off a charge pipe? Would the car still be drivable, atleast to get it home? Would there be any serious damage?
Had it happen before and it's just not fun because there's no power at all. The hose off of my turbo popped off while on the highway and it was basically driving with no power, you couldn't speed up at all. I also noticed on the accessport that the turbo was spooling but no boost was building so the turbo was a lot louder than usual as it was exposed.

OP
Hypergram

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #18
Had it happen before and it's just not fun because there's no power at all. The hose off of my turbo popped off while on the highway and it was basically driving with no power, you couldn't speed up at all. I also noticed on the accessport that the turbo was spooling but no boost was building so the turbo was a lot louder than usual as it was exposed.
But it won't have any damage if you drive without it right? It just happened to me now. Ugh

Spork1569

But it won't have any damage if you drive without it right? It just happened to me now. Ugh
Nah just no power till you get it back on. You can always go to the hardware store to buy some clamps in the meantime while you get your t bolt clamps.

OP
Hypergram

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #20
Nah just no power till you get it back on. You can always go to the hardware store to buy some clamps in the meantime while you get your t bolt clamps.
I'll just get a ride to Walmart for hairspray and Autozone for 4 T-Bolt clamps tomorrow. And I'll watch Jeff's video...