Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hey Ford Service! What gives with the HATCH LEAKS!??

Its insane to me that Ford hasn't put out a recall for the lack thereof in properly sealing these cars from the elements. This is not a wear and tear problem this is manufacturer error for sure.

I decided to source the leak and I found numerour leak points.

1. The rubber plugs which the tail lamp presses into.
2. Anywhere ford used crummy duct tape: Under the taillamp, under the bumper
3. The air escape vents below the bumper
4. THE MAIN CULPRIT. A weld seal right the side of the the hatch hinges. Starts at the rain gutters and goes down to the weather strip. As i pour water there the water immediately drips between the two metal body panels and ventually soaks the cloth liner and travels along the side of the interior and eventually makes a pool in the rear passenger footwell.

Ford, I hope you're paying attention. This has to be recalled.

Its insane to me that Ford hasn't put out a recall for the lack thereof in properly sealing these cars from the elements. This is not a wear and tear problem this is manufacturer error for sure.

I decided to source the leak and I found numerour leak points.

1. The rubber plugs which the tail lamp presses into.
2. Anywhere ford used crummy duct tape: Under the taillamp, under the bumper
3. The air escape vents below the bumper
4. THE MAIN CULPRIT. A weld seal right the side of the the hatch hinges. Starts at the rain gutters and goes down to the weather strip. As i pour water there the water immediately drips between the two metal body panels and ventually soaks the cloth liner and travels along the side of the interior and eventually makes a pool in the rear passenger footwell.

Ford, I hope you're paying attention. This has to be recalled.
I assume you're having trouble with water getting into your car?

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Recalls are Fed NHTSA mandated for safety issues, this would not be a safety issue I wouldn't think. Ford can issue a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin?) if a problem is widespread. I have not heard of one issued on leaks. Have you searched the forum to see if others have this issue? What has the dealer done to fix it? My 2016 has never leaked, what year is yours? It would make me nuts to have to deal with that.......let us know what happens please. Santa Rosa?.....Geothermal area?

OP
HAHAFiST
Thread Starter #5
Recalls are Fed NHTSA mandated for safety issues, this would not be a safety issue I wouldn't think. Ford can issue a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin?) if a problem is widespread. I have not heard of one issued on leaks. Have you searched the forum to see if others have this issue? What has the dealer done to fix it? My 2016 has never leaked, what year is yours? It would make me nuts to have to deal with that.......let us know what happens please. Santa Rosa?.....Geothermal area?
I’ve done everything. I’ve checked YouTube videos I’ve checked the forums and none of them are very conclusive and I’ve tried everything that people have suggested still getting a slow leak but it’s definitely somewhere at the top either the weatherstrip at self the welded section up top or the roof weatherstrip where the bodies seemed. Mines a 2015. The dealer is going to fix it but they’ll charge me money and I think that’s ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I had barely noticeable spots where the visors mount at the head liner. They said it was the windshield. 2016 still leaks. I don't have a lot of time to keep taking it in.

I have the same issue. Mine is 2014 and during heavy rain the left rear passenger footwell will be soaked. I thought it was the weather seal from the rear passenger doors since there was a tear from the roof rack. I replaced the both rear door weather seals when I took out the roof rack and still have the wet floor issue. I’ll look at my rear hatch and look at the leak points you mentioned.

OP
HAHAFiST
Thread Starter #8
I have the same issue. Mine is 2014 and during heavy rain the left rear passenger footwell will be soaked. I thought it was the weather seal from the rear passenger doors since there was a tear from the roof rack. I replaced the both rear door weather seals when I took out the roof rack and still have the wet floor issue. I’ll look at my rear hatch and look at the leak points you mentioned.
I’m almost 100% it’s sleds undee the rooms gutters towards the back. I’m tracing water trails that start high up on the rear pillars.

Have you fixed the source of leak? We’re going to get rain all next week so I want to avoid having wet floor on the left rear passenger side.

OP
HAHAFiST
Thread Starter #11
Have you fixed the source of leak? We’re going to get rain all next week so I want to avoid having wet floor on the left rear passenger side.
Nope. I’ve had no time. Best of luck man. If I. When life allows me the time I’ll make a post but I can’t help you with that at this moment.

No problem. I’m going to focus on those rubber seals, duct taped area, and weld seal that you mentioned and see how it goes.

Nope. I’ve had no time. Best of luck man. If I. When life allows me the time I’ll make a post but I can’t help you with that at this moment.

OP
HAHAFiST
Thread Starter #13
No problem. I’m going to focus on those rubber seals, duct taped area, and weld seal that you mentioned and see how it goes.
I’m 90% certain it’s at the top rear of the weather rails and it’s the actual body seams underneath them.

Yeah I’m sure you’re right on. I saw a few videos that had bad seals and they used Permatex RTV sealant and that fixes the issue

I’m 90% certain it’s at the top rear of the weather rails and it’s the actual body seams underneath them.

JB Weld makes an epoxy putty stick called Water Weld that is very good at plugging leaks and can actually be sanded and shaped when dry.

So I’m happy to report that the Fiesta stayed dried this whole week [^] and didn’t have any of the previous internal water leaks issues from the hatch. The areas I fixed where the body seams right below the weather rails. Thanks to HAHAFIST [rockon]. I used JB Weld RTV Silicone over the seam. Additionally, I redid the duct tape that was covering the hole right under the tail lights. The old duct tape was barely sticking and was exposing the hole. I used gorilla duck tape to cover the hole.

OP
HAHAFiST
Thread Starter #17
So I’m happy to report that the Fiesta stayed dried this whole week [^] and didn’t have any of the previous internal water leaks issues from the hatch. The areas I fixed where the body seams right below the weather rails. Thanks to HAHAFIST [rockon]. I used JB Weld RTV Silicone over the seam. Additionally, I redid the duct tape that was covering the hole right under the tail lights. The old duct tape was barely sticking and was exposing the hole. I used gorilla duck tape to cover the hole.
Rad dude! Can you post photos of the seam welds you treated and indicate how? My leaks are much more minimal but I think I still have some.

Ok I’ll try and take pictures tomorrow. I’ll see how the pictures look with the rain.

Rad dude! Can you post photos of the seam welds you treated and indicate how? My leaks are much more minimal but I think I still have some.

So I spoke too soon. Three days of rain and it was bone dry. Today on the fourth day, left passenger footwell was wet [:(!].

Intuit

3000 Post Club
So I spoke too soon. Three days of rain and it was bone dry. Today on the fourth day, left passenger footwell was wet [:(!].
Was in a parking lot with probably a dozen different vehicles of all brands and ages. I noticed there were a lot of Fords, some older, with fog on the inside of the windshields.

For the second time I've dropped mine off with the dealer hoping they can find and resolve the leak(s).

The first visit they said it was the windshield. There were water marks at the mount points for each of the visors so that makes sense.

I'll letcha know what they say this time.

The leak(s) seem to be from somewhere up front. Sitting in the sunshine after sitting through a rain, the front windshield fogs up, and gets progressively lighter as you move toward the rear of the vehicle. Rarely does the fog reach the rear door windows. The metal behind the glove box had a fair amount of surface rust.