Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

High oil consumption. Please weigh in!

Hello all,
Got the car with 69km on the clock. Changed the oil at 500 and again at 1000 then switched to Synthetic at 4000k.
Just changed the oil at 8000 and it's down one liter.
Is this normal?
Manual says it'll take some time for oil consumption to reach normal levels but that seems very high for a new modem engine.
Thanks

That doesn't sound great. I'd continue monitoring the oil level and hope you made a mistake when you first checked the oil level. Sometimes it can be a bit difficult to see the oil line on a dip stick with freshly poured synthetic. Did you change the oil yourself? Did you conduct your initial level check before you started the car? I ask because the filter holds a fair bit of oil and the filter is empty if you haven't started the engine.

OP
unspankable
Thread Starter #3
That doesn't sound great. I'd continue monitoring the oil level and hope you made a mistake when you first checked the oil level. Sometimes it can be a bit difficult to see the oil line on a dip stick with freshly poured synthetic. Did you change the oil yourself? Did you conduct your initial level check before you started the car? I ask because the filter holds a fair bit of oil and the filter is empty if you haven't started the engine.
Nope.
Changed the oil myself both times. Filled to the fill mark, ran it, topped it up for filter capacity. It was down a liter at the next change ~4K later.
I'll continue to monitor. If it doesn't improve though this isn't normal correct?

It is common for a turbo'd engine to consume oil, but not a a liters worth in our cars.

One thing I have noticed across all the EB engines - the oil and coolant seals in/on the turbo like to leak. Try inspecting the turbo and charge pipes for excess oil in or around the couplers/tubes.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
One thing I have noticed across all the EB engines - the oil and coolant seals in/on the turbo like to leak. Try inspecting the turbo and charge pipes for excess oil in or around the couplers/tubes.
It's losing oil somewhere. A liter in 4k? If it was burning it that bad, it would be running like shit, if at all.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I'm thinking it's losing oil somewhere. A liter in 4k? If it was burning it that bad, it would be running like shit, if at all.
I would disagree with that. The GT350 consumes a lot more oil than that, and you wouldn't even know it.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I would disagree with that. The GT350 consumes a lot more oil than that, and you wouldn't even know it.

It burns a liter in 4k?

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
This is from car and driver.
Over 40,000 miles, we added 21.5 quarts of 5W-50

Wow.
Mine's still low mileage, but it doesn't use a drop, as far as I've seen. Never added oil between changes.

Mines got 84k miles and burns 0 oil or coolant so somethings off. Pull your plugs and check for fouling, do a compression test and see if you cracked a ring. If the turbo seals went bad you’d see it or smell smoke at the exhaust outlet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 2019 purchased May 14, 2019. Just had it in for it's first oil change at 5000 miles and it hadn't used a drop. I will note that IMO Ford should use an oil that is dyed either blue or red. Because it's near impossible to read the oil level on that piss poor dipstick they put in the FiST. Really don't understand that change one bit because the old flat blade dipsticks with the cross hatching could always be read by angling the blade to reveal the bevel of the oil edge. But that's just another example of today's Engineering Graduates, don't ever study how something was done, just reinvent the wheel and if it comes out square tell any critics that it's an essential "styling" feature.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Our Coyote has not burned a drop in 5K............and neither has my FiST in 37K. Can't afford a Voodoo! If you wipe the dipstick and insert it (old school?) you can read it fine even with old bad eyes!

No sure I would call the Voodoo oil consumption an "issue" when Ford says in the manual addendum 1 qt per 500 miles for severe use. And you know and C&D admits they drove the hell out of it! My Mazda rotaries ate oil like mad in the early and late days. Even with 4K oil changes on the Coyote with 10 Qts.of oil it will run you $50-$60 plus a filter. But my wife will only put maybe 6K miles a year on it. The days of cheap high quality oils is over due to increased loads on the oil from modern engines.

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
At least its NOT a BMW...AUDI OR VOLKSWAGON. Those all burn oil off the factory floor. I Hit 60k last week....never been down on oil. Time for a compression check!. What's the mileage at? forgive me if you have already stated it.

OP
unspankable
Thread Starter #16
Thank you for all your replies. I'm waiting till my next change at 14000 to check for loss then I'll dive into the issue and check for compression and seal issues.
FYI it runs fine. There's a little soot build up on the exhaust tips. Not sure if that's normal or not.
Agree on the dipstick being shitty

Thank you for all your replies. I'm waiting till my next change at 14000 to check for loss then I'll dive into the issue and check for compression and seal issues.
FYI it runs fine. There's a little soot build up on the exhaust tips. Not sure if that's normal or not.
Agree on the dipstick being shitty
Soot on the tail pipe is common for DI turbo cars. Pulling your plugs only takes about 10 minutes and is something I recommend doing sooner rather than later. If anything it’ll give you an idea depending on the condition they’re in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk