Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Holy crap look! Ic pipes.

Young L

The Volkswagen guys have it really bad. This could also be the reason for small ic on these cars. Heat.
This is exactly what I was thinking about, people hydro locking there engines because of to many short drives not allowing the motor to fully warm up

Here's what I've been catching in my catch can.

But the PCV vents to the intake manifold so it doesn't make sense where you're seeing it. I just thought the liquid looked similar in color/consistency

I'm in Michigan so lots of changing temperatures lately

felopr

But the PCV vents to the intake manifold so it doesn't make sense where you're seeing it. I just thought the liquid looked similar in color/consistency

Does it smell?

me32

1000 Post Club

Looks really milky. What does it smell like.

Oil vapors and Moisture I bet weird it is that much though ..
It was pure black during the dead of summer, but then I started running E40 and the temperature started changing more over nights which I think caused the condensation.

I do think some of it is ethanol related, but I'm running 93 octane now during winter so we'll see if it gets more black again

OP
re-rx7

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #29
Its water vapor and oil. Ive been lurking alot of VW threads lately. Look it up and you wil understand how it works.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Its water vapor and oil. Ive been lurking alot of VW threads lately. Look it up and you wil understand how it works.
Hmmm you been on VWvortex too ?? talk about drama and the new Golf R launch LOL fun fun fun
anyway yes moisture in the cold as the motor warms up is normal to a point but it still amazes me how these things run sometimes ;) let us know how it works on the new fuel

OP
re-rx7

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #31
Hmmm you been on VWvortex too ?? talk about drama and the new Golf R launch LOL fun fun fun
anyway yes moisture in the cold as the motor warms up is normal to a point but it still amazes me how these things run sometimes ;) let us know how it works on the new fuel
Guess I missed it lol. Link?

Sekred

1000 Post Club
The condensation is normal, not sure about the volume you have there but. Have you been doing lots of short runs?. The engine oil temp needs to reach at least 100 C for the moisture to evaporate and burn off . Blow-by gases contain some unburnt fuel so maybe its the E40 attracting the moisture.

The condensation is normal, not sure about the volume you have there but. Have you been doing lots of short runs?. The engine oil temp needs to reach at least 100 C for the moisture to evaporate and burn off . Blow-by gases contain some unburnt fuel so maybe its the E40 attracting the moisture.
It looks like a lot but it's only about 2-3 oz max when I pour it in a water bottle it looks like less. I'll measure the capacity of the catch can next time I have it off. That is about 5000 miles of driving, most of it is from a 2000 mile trip I took out to the East Coast.

OP
re-rx7

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #34
It really isn't a lot and looks like it's mainly a problem in a colder climate. Most of the warmer places are fine and aren't having problems from what ive researched.

It poured out of my charge pipe when I changed to ATP. One of the reasons I am installing a catch can.

OP
re-rx7

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #36
It poured out of my charge pipe when I changed to ATP. One of the reasons I am installing a catch can.
It wont help. Mine is VTA and it still does it. The IC are to efficient.

me32

1000 Post Club
I guess this is a cold weather issue then. I didn't see anything come out of my intercooler hoses when i checked. I also live in ca an run 91 which has E10 in it. I mostly do not do short trips that are less than 20min

OP
re-rx7

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #38
Absolutely a cold weather thing. Its condensation from the IC cooling air efficiently unlike the stock IC. Sucks balls though..I think?

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Isn't this what happened on the ecoboost trucks? Water in the cooler, old people driving the trucks around trying to get 45mpg, and then when they NEED the power to get out of the way or something the truck would shutter before actually taking off. Condensation would puddle up inside the cooler.

They fixed it by blocking part of the intercooler, which sounds like the worst thing ever, but... It fixed the issue, lol

me32

1000 Post Club
Isn't this what happened on the ecoboost trucks? Water in the cooler, old people driving the trucks around trying to get 45mpg, and then when they NEED the power to get out of the way or something the truck would shutter before actually taking off. Condensation would puddle up inside the cooler.

They fixed it by blocking part of the intercooler, which sounds like the worst thing ever, but... It fixed the issue, lol
Looks like you are right sir.

http://blog.bluespringsfordparts.com/245/ecoboost-shudder/