Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hood Vents and Under Hood Temps

TemecFist

Ha! Right, sorry, pretty stupid of me to assume people want to properly control underhood temps. Guess there is no reason to look at removing hot air and so I'll just continue to stuff more hot air into the car and out the exhaust tunnel.

Lol
That's crazy your having such problems with underhood temps. Lol. I mean, I've BEAT on my car, at the track, in SoCal where its 115*, relentlessly, and have never had an under the hood temp issue. Maybe you got a lemon?
Are you actually having issues, or just speculating?

PunkST

2000 Post Club
So, as I understand, the low pressure zones are near the front of the hood behind the radiator and high pressure zone is up near the cowl, but what about that middle cowl spot that is right above the hot turbo and crossover? I've blanketed and heat taped my aluminum crossover, but what about cutting a section of lower cowl right below the middle screen area of the upper cowl? I run full recirc and no venting catch cans or anything, and there is already slits there anyway, so I think I'd be safe to try this, so what I'm thinking is with clearance *so* tight there, wouldn't it just *have* to run a little cooler with the heat able to rise away with that section of lower cowl cut out?
I do like this idea. But here are my 2 cents on it

The hvac draws air from there. Any form of gas or exhaust leak and fumes are being force fed into the cabin by the fan. If you could totally seal off the petion wit the hvac section it may work at slow speeds.

Not sure on a real solution myself.

That's crazy your having such problems with underhood temps. Lol. I mean, I've BEAT on my car, at the track, in SoCal where its 115*, relentlessly, and have never had an under the hood temp issue. Maybe you got a lemon?
Are you actually having issues, or just speculating?
I'm in NorCal and have nearly overheated a few times in good weather conditions. First time was due to a faulty thermostat from the factory that got replaced under warranty. Times after that were on the track, with the heat on to try and keep temps manageable. This was after bleeding the radiator and confirming with the dealership that they actually replaced the thermostat, and it wasn't that issue again.

TemecFist

I'm in NorCal and have nearly overheated a few times in good weather conditions. First time was due to a faulty thermostat from the factory that got replaced under warranty. Times after that were on the track, with the heat on to try and keep temps manageable. This was after bleeding the radiator and confirming with the dealership that they actually replaced the thermostat, and it wasn't that issue again.
Running a stock radiator, thermostat, oil cooler and a 50/50 mix. Proves my point. There are other things to upgrade for cooling instead of worrying about theoretical hood vent placement. Lol. Upgrade these simple parts, and voila'!!!!.....no more heat issues.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Running a stock radiator, thermostat, oil cooler and a 50/50 mix. Proves my point. There are other things to upgrade for cooling instead of worrying about theoretical hood vent placement. Lol. Upgrade these simple parts, and voila'!!!!.....no more heat issues.
If you STILL believe that the placement has nothing to do with the effectiveness.... well, I can't reason you out of a position you didn't use reason to arrive at.

TemecFist

If you STILL believe that the placement has nothing to do with the effectiveness.... well, I can't reason you out of a position you didn't use reason to arrive at.
Nope, never said that placement has nothing to do with it. What I said was that hood vents themselves will have zero effect for YOU. lol. Are you making 600hp like the car you are referring to? No. Have you upgraded other necessary cooling components? No. Have you even shown ANY proof or facts that support your hypothesis? No.

Game. Set. Match.

What's next? You gonna debate why your Fiesta needs active aero like an F1 car doing 200+ mph when you struggle do to 80 mph on a track? Common sense people.

And what was it that you were saying about "common sense"? Roflmfao. I guarantee your the type of guy that can "feel" a drop-in filter.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The WRC cars are inlet restricted (both here for ARA events, and globally, for WRC events) to at most 380 HP at the crank.
Also, their average speeds for whole stages are rarely over 80 MPH, although they can hit 120+ on long straights.

The unrestricted, 2 liter, World RALLYCROSS cars are the ones making over 600 to the wheels, but for much shorter bursts/durations than WRC cars must do, when at their max on stages. [wink]

Yes, it's a given that they are pushed MANY times harder on stage than any of us could ever possibly push our cars (MUCH 'shorter' gearing), even on an extended open track session, and even in hellish weather conditions (which they also face on many events as well).

They are also maximized as far as all cooling goes (within the limits of the rules & regs), and their under hood setup/arrangement is different than ours.

That all being said, I cannot see how it would ever hurt cooling to have these installed on a much more sedate, not pushed to it's absolute limits, street setup, (even IF "not necessary") but yes, it might let a bunch of water in if not done properly.

How's that for 'diplomacy'? LOL

TemecFist

The WRC cars are inlet restricted (both here for ARA events, and globally, for WRC events) to at most 380 HP at the crank.

The unrestricted, 2 liter, World RALLYCROSS cars are the ones making over 600 to the wheels, but for much shorter bursts/durations than WRC cars are, when at their max on stages. [wink]

Yes, it's a given that they are pushed MANY times harder on stage than any of us could ever possibly push our cars (MUCH 'shorter' gearing), even on an extended open track session, and even in hellish weather conditions (which they also face on many events as well).

They are also maximized as far as all cooling goes (within the limits of the rules & regs), and their under hood setup/arrangement is different than ours.

That all being said, I cannot see how it would ever hurt cooling to have these installed on a much more sedate, not pushed to it's absolute limits street setup, (even IF "not necessary") but yes, it might let a bunch of water in if not done properly.

How's that for 'diplomacy'? LOL
The problem with having a big fricking hammer, is that your always looking for a nail. It's like trying to find a solution for a problem that does not exist. IE: underhood temps.

Btw: I DUMP water on my hood, and use a power washer, foam cannon, etc, etc and nothing more than a few drops gets into the engine bay. Do people think their engine bat stays dry when they are driving in the rain? And not to mention I also use the power washer on my motor, and not liberally might I ad, and I've never had a problem, but this is a whole separate argument. Lol.
I applaud your efforts Mspor it is/was quite diplomatic. Lol

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Nope, never said that placement has nothing to do with it. What I said was that hood vents themselves will have zero effect for YOU. lol. Are you making 600hp like the car you are referring to? No. Have you upgraded other necessary cooling components? No. Have you even shown ANY proof or facts that support your hypothesis? No.

Game. Set. Match.

What's next? You gonna debate why your Fiesta needs active aero like an F1 car doing 200+ mph when you struggle do to 80 mph on a track? Common sense people.

And what was it that you were saying about "common sense"? Roflmfao. I guarantee your the type of guy that can "feel" a drop-in filter.
So glad you know I've got an upgaded Mountune radiator, thermostat, hoses, intercooler, and skid plate directing air from under the car in to the engine bay. I'm not here to advertise and so my logs of 234kmph runs in the mountains, at altitudes of 5500', are for my entertainment, not yours.

But you do you, I was young and dumb once too.

Last edited:

TemecFist

So glad you know I've got an upgaded Mountune radiator, thermostat, hoses, intercooler, and skid plate directing air from under the car in to the engine bay. I'm not here to advertise and so my logs of 234kmph runs in the mountains, at altitudes of 5500', are for my entertainment, not yours.

But you do you, I was young and dumb once too.
If you have all that, and are still having overheating issues to the point of you needing to look into hood vents, lol, then like I said, you just got a lemon. Nothing you can do about it now. You do you as well.......but I do call BS on a 145mph "mountain run".....especially considering your struggling with a shock setup. Lmfao.

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
If you have all that, and are still having overheating issues to the point of you needing to look into hood vents, lol, then like I said, you just got a lemon. Nothing you can do about it now. You do you as well.......but I do call BS on a 145mph "mountain run".....especially considering your struggling with a shock setup. Lmfao.
Absolutely 100%

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Sorry, 236.8km/h and 7299'

Being a mechanical engineer I actually know how to set up a suspension properly and don't just toss shit on - so, my bad for understanding HOW the suspension works and the fact it's not properly spec'd for this car.

You'd just toss shit on and thing 'fuck ya! looks good brah!' and congratulate yourself on having spent money on looks. Go back to driving at sea level and thinking no one else exists outside your little world.

TemecFist

Sorry, 236.8km/h and 7299'

Being a mechanical engineer I actually know how to set up a suspension properly and don't just toss shit on - so, my bad for understanding HOW the suspension works and the fact it's not properly spec'd for this car.

You'd just toss shit on and thing 'fuck ya! looks good brah!' and congratulate yourself on having spent money on looks. Go back to driving at sea level and thinking no one else exists outside your little world.
Hahahaha. Sure buddy!!! Whatever you say!!!
Anytime you want, bring that Lemon on down here. I'll introduce you to my "little world". You dont even know me, or anything about me, so go ahead and draw your own conclusions and believe that you know anythung about me, but hey, your "Mr Engineer"..you must be fast, right? Lol. Like I said, whenever you want to put your money where your mouth is, let me know, I'l gladly take whatever you can afford to lose.

Last edited:

TemecFist

Almost forgot. Heres my speedometer at 25k feet, I was running up Mt Kilimanjaro. Bwahahahaha. (It has about as much validity as your bullshit, right?). Stick to your paygrade.

istockphoto-911618064-170667a.jpg

TemecFist

A At this point, I'm done toying with you. You should stick to debating people on your own level that have 2 digit IQ's.
YOU YOURSELF MADE THIS STATEMENT.
Guess which coilover I "just threw on" Brah?.....and yes, they are the GT1's with Swift springs, corner balanced and all the other things that go along with having your car setup professionally. People like you are the reason forums suck and get a bad name. I'm done with you. Debate yourself from here on out, you've lost all credibility. 20210405_074048.jpg

Last edited:

Lays

A
At this point, I'm done toying with you. You should stick to debating people on your own level that have 2 digit IQ's.
YOU YOURSELF MADE THIS STATEMENT.
Guess which coilover I "just threw on" Brah?.....and yes, they are the GT1's with Swift springs, corner balanced and all the other things that go along with having your car setup professionally. People like you are the reason forums suck and get a bad name. I'm done with you. Debate yourself from here on out, you've lost all credibility. View attachment 39467
I love my MeisterR's, although I wish I had gotten a stiffer rate. 5k 3k is too soft for my setup IMO. The car squats really bad in the rear under acceleration, and dives too far forward under heavy braking for my liking. I want to try 7k 5k or 8k 6k I think.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I love my MeisterR's, although I wish I had gotten a stiffer rate. 5k 3k is too soft for my setup IMO. The car squats really bad in the rear under acceleration, and dives too far forward under heavy braking for my liking. I want to try 7k 5k or 8k 6k I think.
what do you have your settings at on the shocks? Reason I ask is two members local here have the same setup and I have driven with them and have not see excessive squat. One of which is a very fast driver.

Lays

what do you have your settings at on the shocks? Reason I ask is two members local here have the same setup and I have driven with them and have not see excessive squat. One of which is a very fast driver.
I've tried a lot of settings, even maxing the rears, but it still squats under hard acceleration. Normally I run like 8 from stiff up front and 10 from stiff in the rear. I bought a set of 10k springs from them for the drags to help fight it, and it barely squats at all with that setup, but I wouldn't want to drive around like that on the street, the rear would kick out definitely in corners, and hard braking doesn't feel very great lol. Ya have to steer it a little, lol

With stock turbo it was fine, but the car makes like twice that amount of power now, so I think it just overpowers the springrates.