Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hood Vents/Louver

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
does anyone run some vents? if so what kind and what kind of temp difference did it make?
I have Verus vents, I didn't notice any material change in charge air, coolant, or oil temps. However I already have an upgraded radiator.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
There is a thread for that somewhere on these forums, again there was no material change. We lack an underbody plate that keeps air in the engine bay flowing towards the rear.

You can feel the heat coming out of the vents at a standstill, but they aren't doing much while moving.

As far as I know, no one has given any real world data on temp change from hood vents, mostly just discussed the ideal vent location (I believe the consensus was on the sides, closer to the windshield).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Fiestig

I had watched temps for before and after with no change in temp between vents/no vents in the hood. As mentioned previously, the dynamic pressure while moving will mostly keep the air under the vents in place. I never monitored before/after sitting still temps.

Here are the vents that we run. When ambient temperatures are in the 96+F range with humidity, the hood vents were good for ~ 10-15F.

Without the vents the car would hit 235-240, and start to pull power on clear empty track
With the vents the coolant temp was 215-225, and when not running a time attack style session temps were 205-210.

1597269602840.png

Business6

What I'd love to see is you running something like another hood with the verus vents and the results with that as I'm curious as to any differences regarding position.

Aside from those temps I suspect there are other hotspots under the hood that get some benefits from vents that we aren't aware of. Luckily we have to mainly just worry about the brakes and fluids compared to heat expanding hoses so they come into contact with radiator fans or frying coils but, again, that doesn't mean components don't benefit from the vents.

I love the idea of the vents and the looks (well, not all of them) I just wish we had more details. All of this stuff is pretty rad, though, so keep it up, gents

Oh, as an aside, I'd love to see how vents look in the winter.

What I'd love to see is you running something like another hood with the verus vents and the results with that as I'm curious as to any differences regarding position.

Aside from those temps I suspect there are other hotspots under the hood that get some benefits from vents that we aren't aware of. Luckily we have to mainly just worry about the brakes and fluids compared to heat expanding hoses so they come into contact with radiator fans or frying coils but, again, that doesn't mean components don't benefit from the vents.

I love the idea of the vents and the looks (well, not all of them) I just wish we had more details. All of this stuff is pretty rad, though, so keep it up, gents

Oh, as an aside, I'd love to see how vents look in the winter.
I don't know of anyone that has a verus vented hood to swap and test. However, from a post on the forum I thought I read it would actually put air into the engine bay, instead of acting as an extractor. I have not confirmed this.

We have had pretty good results to date with the Msport hood vents, but I have never ran them in the winter and added a water deflector to ensure water stays off the fuse panel in the summer. The factory hood goes back on after race/track season.