Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How safe are Cobb OTS tunes?

boostedST

Im running Cobb OTS stage 1 93 tune, and have gotten a knock count detected most times i drive now. Multiple in individual cylinders when looking at those readouts on the AP. Does anyone have any experience looking over a datalog of a 3rd gear pull to maybe get insight into what's going on? Or point me in the right direction. This is my 3rd ST and finally decided to turn it up even just a little and now I'm not so sure lol.

I recently picked up an AP with both Cobb and Dizzy tune on it, but some of these stories aren't inspiring confidence.

I'm not familiar with these cars....what parameters should I have my AP set for? And what's my thresholds for those parameters?

CaptainCheesy

U.S. Army Veteran
Boost....AFR...Coolant Temp.....Ign. corrections 1 &4 Cylinders Oil temp....Maybe intake temp.
I like to run, and from top left to bottom right;

Boost Pressure | Oil Temperature
Actual AFR | Coolant Temperature
Charge Air Temp | Intake Air Temp

Should I change any?

I've also been running Stage 1 on 91 Octane for 2.5k miles, no issues yet!

Im running Cobb OTS stage 1 93 tune, and have gotten a knock count detected most times i drive now. Multiple in individual cylinders when looking at those readouts on the AP. Does anyone have any experience looking over a datalog of a 3rd gear pull to maybe get insight into what's going on? Or point me in the right direction. This is my 3rd ST and finally decided to turn it up even just a little and now I'm not so sure lol.
How much knock? Once or twice as the car is warming up is normal. Constant knocking is not.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
There is no such thing as a car that doesn't knock as I have stated in the past* The only ones that don't knock are Yard Art now. If you are that worried about it post a Data Log for interpretation.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I don't see the point in buying an accessport for OTS tunes personally.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I can monitor most of those parameters above with my Ultra Gauge (with the exception of the OIL temp, since it can only monitor actual PIDS from the ECM, and cannot 'extrapolate/interpolate' the oil temp from other parameters like the AP does somewhat?? accurately), and I don't even have to keep the co$tly, and very desirable to thieves, AP in the car, or subject it to the summer closed car oven temps.

I can monitor most of those parameters above with my Ultra Gauge (with the exception of the OIL temp, since it can only monitor actual PIDS from the ECM, and cannot 'extrapolate/interpolate' the oil temp from other parameters like the AP does somewhat?? accurately), and I don't even have to keep the co$tly, and very desirable to thieves, AP in the car, or subject it to the summer closed car oven temps.
The AP doesn't have to be kept in the car. I usually leave it at home, and only take it with me when I'm going canyon carving.

I don't see the point in buying an accessport for OTS tunes personally.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Plenty of valid reasons to have an AP for OTS tunes. Maybe the OTS tune does everything you want. Maybe your build is in progress and you don't want to spring for a custom tune until a certain milestone is reached. OTS tunes have their purpose. Plus it's your car, do what makes you happy.

Last edited:
Well I was going to go Cobb, because I don't really trust Stratified or Dizzy, but now.... geez man. Why is it so hard to find reputable tunes for our cars here. Wish Peron or some other UK companies would release tunes for ours.

Well I was going to go Cobb, because I don't really trust Stratified or Dizzy, but now.... geez man. Why is it so hard to find reputable tunes for our cars here. Wish Peron or some other UK companies would release tunes for ours.
Dizzy and Stratified are the top two custom tuners for our cars. If you don't trust them, no one will be good enough for you.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The Brit/Euro companies probably would never create tunes for our MAP based ECMs, since we (the USDM market cars, where ever they are sold) are in the vast minority of all of the FiSTs sold in the world.
It would not pay for them to try and compete with the tuners already here, for such a small market share.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Why wouldn't you trust Stratified or Dizzy? Is there a thread that I over-looked? I can't speak for Stratified (yet), but I have been very happy with Dizzy thus far (and Mountune).