Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How to know if Duel Mass Flywheel is failing?

Car makes a slight chatter when going from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd as the clutch is being engaged and the throttle is being depressed once and a while. I can only hear it with the windows down, with them up I hear zero noise. I let the engine idle and there's no noise, I moved the clutch very slowly in and out and tried to hold it where I thought the bite point might be in a few different spots and didn't hear any noise. I know duel mass flywheels are notorious for going especially in these cars, what's the proper way to diagnose it?

Added a video for diagnosis
View: https://youtu.be/kiQ6XuM5V6E
You can hear me starting the vehicle, shutting it off with the clutch engaged, then shutting it off with the clutch disengaged and also a little where I'm pushing the clutch in and out.

The difference will be clear, clutched disengaged is much quieter I just don't know if it's normal noise or Dual mass flywheel noise.

Last edited:
OP
Esoterikk
Thread Starter #2
View: https://youtu.be/qONzIVeGT5c

Note: You can hear the noise from the second video as I let the clutch out after the first start in the first video.

Here is another video filmed near the clutch so you can hear the chatter as I engage the cluth then hear it quiet down as I disengage. Its a little hard to hear after the first engagement but it's still there. sounds like a fast clunking.

haste

1000 Post Club
I have a '15 with 83k miles on the odometer and it's made that noise since day one.

I have a '17 with 13k miles on the odometer and it's made that noise since day one.

I think it's just the nature of the beast.

Mine's does the same. I just started noticing it recently too. Prolly been there since i've had the car. i have a 16