Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How to Ruin a Perfectly Good Fiesta in 3 Years

Figured it would be fun to document the process of how I ruined a perfectly good Recaro-equiped Fiesta.

I have a bunch of my incredibly amateur driving events on YouTube if you like watching FiSTs race: https://youtube.com/@djchameli9165

When I bought this car, I made a promise to myself that any mods I did to it I would install myself (unless it involved opening up the engine or transmission). I wanted to keep it from turning into a money pit like my 335i. To my credit, I've stuck to that, with the exception of the LSD, clutch, and alignment/corner balancing.

4/4/20 - I bought the car used with 33k miles for $14.5k. I traded in a 2008 Honda Fit (hence the transferred "Jazz" license plate) because, although it was fun, the lack of a highway gear and Android Auto was a pain when driving 5hrs roundtrip for work

5/10/20 - I picked up some 16x8 Konig Dekagrams and some crappy Federal tires

6/8/20 - cp-e intercooler purchased and installed along with the Mountune short shifter and a Cobb RMM

At this point, I was planning on doing minimal mods to the car and to keep it relatively stock as it was my daily driver. I stuck with it for a surprising amount of time in retrospect. But, as it always does, the upgrade bug got me. I decided it's much cheaper and MUCH less stressful to race and beat on a Fiesta than it is my garage queen GT350. Upgrades started getting more frequent and severe after this.

6/1/21 - Turbo Tech Racing motor and trans mounts. Ran these for about a month, but the NVH was pretty rough especially while still driving a ton for my commute. Ended up swapping to new OEM mounts with the Powerflex inserts. TTR mounts were re-installed about a year later

6/5/21 - Full brake job with pads, rotors, and stainless lines

8/27/21 - Powerflex spring perches for the rear springs were ordered and installed. The OEM ones were practically non-existent at this point. Stock suspension was getting pretty work out so I replaces shocks and struts with Bilstein B6s all around

9/23/21 - Picked up a roof rack and basket because AESTHETIC

11/24/21 - I had been running a custom side exit exhaust for a little while now and figured I should get a proper exhaust to swap in for when the drone got to be too much. I went with the Milltek non-resonated exhaust. I loved the side exit too much and only recently switched to the Milltek within the last 2-3 months

4/14/22 - Picked up a sandwich plate and ProSport oil pressure and temp gauges

4/20/22 - Big life changes in the form of a new company which brought the benefit of a company vehicle. As the Fiesta was no longer needed as a daily, I got to fulfill my dream of turning it into a track focused car. Sparco bucket seat and all associated hardware ordered. This was huge and let me drop my seating position by several inches. I'm 6' 1" and with a helmet and the seat at it's lowest position, my head would hit the roof

4/27/22 - The gutting begins. I took out a little over 280lbs out of the car from what I had measured. This doesn't factor in the sunroof so the actual number is a hair over 300

5/11/22 - Got H&R Super Sport springs. These were the lowest drop springs I could find and I desperately needed them after gutting the car. The rear looked like I had a lift kit on it, and even with the H&R springs, it still sat a bit above stock ride height. I only installed them on the rear, still ran the stock springs up front

5/17/22 - First big, big upgrade in the form of an MFactory LSD and also some new tires, 225/45R15 Hankook R-S4s, to replace the absolutely trashed RE-71Rs. You may be saying "But those will not fit on your 16" Dekagrams" to which I say "Correct!" Dekagrams were sold to dhminer replaced with some Rota Slipstreams in 15x8. I also installed brake ducting up front to help the stock brakes out a little bit

5/31/22 - Installed DPro's camber plates to help with shoulder wear on the rear tires

6/7/22 - The big day. It finally arrived, my S280 turbo upgrade. This would sit in the bag in a box for 3 months. Hey, I had a baby, cut me some slack. Oh and I was busy cutting, fabricating, and welding in my Autopower roll bar.

7/11/22 - Passenger Sparco seat ordered and installed

7 through 8/2022 - Worked on the cage when I had the time, it was very slow progress and took me more time than I care to admit. It's done. Fully installed, painted, the whole 9. Never again...

9/25/22 - Vinyl letters and the like installed because race car

10/4/22 - Original clutch slipped during a pull so I ordered a replacement. I went with the RTS Performance Twin Friction clutch kit. I love it, a little lighter than stock and hold the power very well

2/something/23 - Sparco 6 point harnesses ordered and installed. Had to get a little creative with the mounting as there isn't a whole lot out there for where people mounted their stuff. Shoulder belts to roll bar obviously. For the lap belts, I fabbed up my own version of this: https://shop.watsonracing.com/HARNESS-LAP-BELT-MOUNT-p/wr-harnessmnt.htm. Mine was just two 19" sections of 2" x 3/16" steel with a 3/4" lap stitch welded on both sides and then eye bolts mounted at the corners for the lap belt quick connects. Anti-submarine belts were attached to the Sparco seat bracket.

3/16/23 - ISC Suspension N1 STREET SPORT coilover kit with the track spring rate ordered to replace the Bilstein setup. Car is just finishing up at the shop for an alignment and corner balancing. Very excited to take it out for my first event of the year in 4 days

6/4/23 - Whoosh 285mm BBK ordered

7/9/23 - Whoosh BBK delivered and installed

Last edited:
Hey! I also bought the ISC Suspension N1 STREET SPORT coilover with the track spring rates on advice from Ron from Whoosh. They will be going on next month. Would love a report on your experience/opinion of them after your first track day with them. Cool build, thanks for sharing!

OP
razr_m3
Thread Starter #12
Getting the corner balancing done
20230411_164648.jpg
These weren't the final numbers, but I had asked how much the car weighed as they were working on it. 2762lbs with a 175lb driver, the spare and jack in the rear, and the roof rack I forgot to take off. Should be right around 2500lbs empty car. Rocking that 62/38 weight distribution though
20230411_164643.jpg

As she sits now 20230412_182103.jpg

OP
razr_m3
Thread Starter #13
Hey! I also bought the ISC Suspension N1 STREET SPORT coilover with the track spring rates on advice from Ron from Whoosh. They will be going on next month. Would love a report on your experience/opinion of them after your first track day with them. Cool build, thanks for sharing!
Will do! Though this first session will be more of a shakedown for the car since it's going to be my first event with the R-S4s, the LSD, the S280, and the new coilovers. Trying not to break anything for this first run haha

Fusion Works

While the brake ducts located in the lower spoiler seem like a good idea, they got smashed the first time I went over the curb at Barber. Then one got ripped off the second time. Learned that lesson the hard way and went ahead and built some that duct from the fog light holes. FDD6ACAA-4FA5-4E52-B16E-990F5F84E43A.jpg IMG_1332.JPG

While the brake ducts located in the lower spoiler seem like a good idea, they got smashed the first time I went over the curb at Barber. Then one got ripped off the second time. Learned that lesson the hard way and went ahead and built some that duct from the fog light holes.
lol, dang. i was like "hold the phone...you can run the brake ducting that low?!"

i see you're putting that $1K welder to good use (y) (can still be putting the welder to good use but was commenting on Fusion Works' brake ducting work)

Last edited:
OP
razr_m3
Thread Starter #18
lol, dang. i was like "hold the phone...you can run the brake ducting that low?!"

i see you're putting that $1K welder to good use (y)
They surprisingly don't scrape and look MUCH lower in the picture than they actually are. I've tweaked the angles a bit since, but for the events that I have run, I haven't had any issues with them.

Yeah, the welder came in handy for the cage and my jank side exit. I'll have to try and clone Fusion Works ducting next. I also welded up some brackets for the 6 point harnesses. It's very similar to this for the S550: https://shop.watsonracing.com/HARNESS-LAP-BELT-MOUNT-p/wr-harnessmnt.htm

Mine was just two 19" sections of 2" x 3/16" steel with a 3/4" lap stitch welded on both sides and then eye bolts mounted at the corners for the lap belts.

Damn those welds look terrible. HAHA
Hey they may be ugly, but they work! :ROFLMAO: I'm curious where you picked up those flanges though. I thought about doing a fog light to duct conversion, but wasn't sure where would be best to begin.

Fusion Works

They surprisingly don't scrape and look MUCH lower in the picture than they actually are. I've tweaked the angles a bit since, but for the events that I have run, I haven't had any issues with them.

Yeah, the welder came in handy for the cage and my jank side exit. I'll have to try and clone Fusion Works ducting next. I also welded up some brackets for the 6 point harnesses. It's very similar to this for the S550: https://shop.watsonracing.com/HARNESS-LAP-BELT-MOUNT-p/wr-harnessmnt.htm

Mine was just two 19" sections of 2" x 3/16" steel with a 3/4" lap stitch welded on both sides and then eye bolts mounted at the corners for the lap belts.
Didn't realize he was talking about your welder. Oops

The driver side seemed to hold up OK, the passenger side that has to go under the engine wasn't as fortunate. Also when driving in a snow storm those brake ducts will pack full of ice and snow. HAHA It takes more than one session at NCM to actually melt the ice out.

Hey they may be ugly, but they work! :ROFLMAO: I'm curious where you picked up those flanges though. I thought about doing a fog light to duct conversion, but wasn't sure where would be best to begin.
I was referring to the welds in my pictures. HAHA. I didn't realize how bad they look. I made all of the pieces for my brake ducts. The flanges are .062 aluminum sheet I formed to weld to the aluminum tube. They should work better than the under ducts. I melted a set of BP20 pads at Barber and NCM with the under mount ducts. You get better packaging through the bumper and fog light holes. You will lose the washer bottle though.

OP
razr_m3
Thread Starter #20
Didn't realize he was talking about your welder. Oops

The driver side seemed to hold up OK, the passenger side that has to go under the engine wasn't as fortunate. Also when driving in a snow storm those brake ducts will pack full of ice and snow. HAHA It takes more than one session at NCM to actually melt the ice out.

I was referring to the welds in my pictures. HAHA. I didn't realize how bad they look. I made all of the pieces for my brake ducts. The flanges are .062 aluminum sheet I formed to weld to the aluminum tube. They should work better than the under ducts. I melted a set of BP20 pads at Barber and NCM with the under mount ducts. You get better packaging through the bumper and fog light holes. You will lose the washer bottle though.
I think he thought the fog lightbreak ducts were mine? Not 100% sure.

Fortunately I don't need to deal with snow too often down here. It's a blessing I've come to appreciate being from up North. The passenger side taking more of a beating is definitely something I've noticed.

I had figured you were talking about your welds, only because I didn't post any close-ups of my own 😁 I got to say those flanges look great, I'd buy a pair if you sold them. And I've already deleted the washer bottle, so no concern there!