Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

HP upgrades by cost, including labor?

jeff

2000 Post Club
As the resident noob im gonna go on a limb and try to answer. From what i've read, you don't even need the AP hooked up once you install the new tune. Once it's in the CPU, it's in. Perhaps it could get so cold/hot that when you hook up the AP it wouldn't work but that could happen to anything no? The car CPU, our phones, ect. I don't think you should worry about this issue. With that said i wouldn't leave it in a hot car in the sun, same with phones ect.
All the manuals/details are available on their website, there also might be some README files on the accessport manager software.

Like any electronic device I wouldn't leave it in plain view in the car or in the sun. When I'm parked I put a hat covering mine just in case. If I'm in a sketchy area I move it to the glove box or take it inside with me - only for extreme cases though like if I parked it at an airport and left it in parking. But most of the time it stays hooked up on my A-pillar.

If you load the tune yes the AP is no longer needed until you change the tune out but in my opinion you're losing the best parts of the device. You can do so many things with it - log times, log data, monitor hundreds of parameters...launch control, traction control, monitor estimated HP and TQ, fuel level, and probably tons more I don't know about...scrolling through the parameters to see what this device can actually tell you is mind boggling. Having the AP in view is part of it's usefulness so I'd be sad to hear someone loaded their tunes and then unhooked it, they'd be missing out on all the fun.

Lotta misinformation flying in this thread.
So lets start with the first stuff, the stock exhaust is really not that restrictive for the size of our engines and turbo’s Ford actually did a decent job with it. Is it too quite? Yes, hence a possibility why the put sound symposers on the cars.
Next up is downpipe unless you have gone hybrid or big Turbo the stock downpipe is fine . You will not see HP gains from changing it out unless you have upgraded your turbo. Plus there are guys running hybrids on stock downpipes and still getting pretty decent HP and TQ increases.
Also decating the downpipe on our cars does not give much more HP either though people love to do it because of what they read on the interwebs.
I put on an exhaust for one main reason to hear my car how I should hear it.
The added plus is it is a 3 inch exhaust some will tell you our cars do not need 3 inch exhausts that is debatable as in the rest of the Turbo world its alway been the less backpressure the better.
Oh and again deleting the cat does not create much less backpressure. Lol
‘Now on to the AP’s from Mountune, Mountune sells both Mtune AP’s that have their MP215 or MP230 tunes on them in those packages which are locked or unlocked AP’s with Custom tunes from Randy at Mountune.
You can load any tune you want from any tuner you want on those you do not have to stick with Randys tunes.

Like others have said an AP a RMM and your off to a good start. Other mods like a crossover pipe , dyno proven to increase power by Jason at Dizzy tune, an intake tube and intake allow you to hear your turbo and blowoff valve better.

A mod that is also good is to remove the baffled hot side charge pipe for an aftermarket one that is straight through with no baffles. It will increase charge flow and again allow you to hear more of your turbo and diverter valve aka blowoff valve.

Intercooers are wise as well as the stock one on are cars is dinky. It will heatsoak if you put it through a bunch of canyon runs or track runs.
Lots of ways to go with that.

Another good idea is radiator upgrade as again our stock radiators are on the small side and some have had overheating issues with them.
Not too many choices here Mountune and Mishimoto being the main ones.

All the other mods after this get into a fair amount more money.

I also feel Koni Oranges are a waste of money as they are too soft for the car. If you go Koni get the Yellows.

Its hard to list labor for some of this stuff because labor rates totally vary by region and cost of living in a particular region . For instance in a lot of the San Francisco bay area labor is $150 an hour or more but can be as cheap as $90 in parts of the east bay.
In LA labor bounces anywhere from $75-100 an hour and can go higher in expensive parts of the city.
So to ask for labor rates is really a variable question.
Hi I would like to ask for a little more insight into the Mountune AP's and the ability to add other Tuners maps. I am looking at getting a used Mountune AP that has the MR230 tune installed. In the first instance is the current owner able to Un-Marry the Handset from his vehicle in the same way as this is possible with the Cobb unit, does it follow the same routine https://www.cobbtuning.com/buying-a-used-accessport/ ? Secondly you mention other Tuners maps are these just Custom tunes based based on the Cobb/Mountune Maps or can you Flash Maps from other Tuners like Peron/Collins/AET/Maxd etc who normally use these programmers https://www.frieling-group.com/product/frieling-racing-obdii-iflash-tuning-cable/ Kind Regards, Jason.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Hi I would like to ask for a little more insight into the Mountune AP's and the ability to add other Tuners maps. I am looking at getting a used Mountune AP that has the MR230 tune installed. In the first instance is the current owner able to Un-Marry the Handset from his vehicle in the same way as this is possible with the Cobb unit, does it follow the same routine https://www.cobbtuning.com/buying-a-used-accessport/ ? Secondly you mention other Tuners maps are these just Custom tunes based based on the Cobb/Mountune Maps or can you Flash Maps from other Tuners like Peron/Collins/AET/Maxd etc who normally use these programmers https://www.frieling-group.com/product/frieling-racing-obdii-iflash-tuning-cable/ Kind Regards, Jason.
The owner can unmarry the unit from their car no problem. The MR230 though is an upgraded tune from the MP215 which is based on a locked down Mountune AP aka MTune AP which you cannot add another tuners tune to.
Like I said I mentioned Mountune does sell CoBB AP’s that are not locked down with Custom Mountune Tunes done by Randy which is open to having other tuners tunes flashed on it.
I would not buy an AP that has the MP215 or MR230 on it. Unless that was what I wanted specifically. Otherwise it is an open AP with custom tunes by Randy at Mountune then you are ok.

The owner can unmarry the unit from their car no problem. The MR230 though is an upgraded tune from the MP215 which is based on a locked down Mountune AP aka MTune AP which you cannot add another tuners tune to.
Like I said I mentioned Mountune does sell CoBB AP’s that are not locked down with Custom Mountune Tunes done by Randy which is open to having other tuners tunes flashed on it.
I would not buy an AP that has the MP215 or MR230 on it. Unless that was what I wanted specifically. Otherwise it is an open AP with custom tunes by Randy at Mountune then you are ok.
Hi Thanks for that, is the Dreamscience Imap a re-branded Cobb Access Port https://www.dreamscience-automotive.co.uk/product/dreamscience-stratagem-imap/

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Hi Thanks for that, is the Dreamscience Imap a re-branded Cobb Access Port https://www.dreamscience-automotive.co.uk/product/dreamscience-stratagem-imap/
Does not look like it. Look likes a similar product which is really not surprising all a company needs is a device and the maps from Ford. Before COBB we used to work with the APEXi PowerFC on Nissans to tune ECU’s. I consider the COBB to be the PowerFC on steroids as you had to have your PowerFC permanently hooked up to keep the tune.
Of course technology has advanced since then. Lol

danbfree

3000 Post Club
If you are in the UK you have completely different ECU and tuning methods than in the US. A good place to check with is PumaSpeed, they have this MAXD Out tuning system for UK cars. Also, Mountune UK does have similar packages as we do in the US with a re-branded Cobb AP but is definitely for UK cars.