Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

HP upgrades by cost, including labor?

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Well, this thread blew up. OP should have lots of information by now. If you have specific questions about changing parts yourself if you wanna give it a go, just message this thread again and I'm sure you'll get lots of help.

Mikey456

I was gonna start typing a book but then I read what @Dpro said, he's right on, listen to all of that.

To your original question here's what I'd do if I were in your shoes trying to pinch pennies:

STEP 1
Don't buy anything on credit - save up cash for mods...and don't keep secrets from your wife in this regard...just my .02 fwiw, secrets are never good

STEP 2
Get a used Accessport, panel filter
AP = $300 used + $30 panel filter
LABOR = free - both of these are very simple install, anyone can do it
Use one of the free Cobb OTS 'stage 1' tunes for now, enjoy it for a time

STEP 3
Get a used FMIC
FMIC = $300 used
LABOR = $200ish, but it is pretty simple you can do it yourself for free, just saying...it's just legos at this point
Use one of the free Cobb OTS 'stage 2' tunes for now, enjoy the power bump over 'stage 1'

STEP 4
Get some proven air mods that help with spool/small HP and TQ increases
INDUCTION HOSE, CROSSOVER PIPE = <$200
LABOR = $200ish, but again these are pretty simple to install, perhaps a member lives near you who can help you, I don't remember where you're at but if you're in the southeast I'd help you install all this stuff for free

STEP 5
Get a better tune
STRATIFIED or DIZZY etc. tune = <$100, a nice bump in power/drivability over Cobb's OTS tunes
or
CUSTOM TUNE = $350, this is the ultimate way to go, I suggest a lifetime package which is more $$$ but will be needed if you want more power with a turbo upgrade later...

At this point you're about at the max power level for stock turbo...forget the exhaust and downpipe and charge pipes...my .02...you should be at/around 220-230hp and 280-310tq with a good custom tune depending on whether you're on pump gas or ethanol blend...

At this point you have a car that is still slow but feels really quick, has horrible torque steer, wheel hop, etc.

I'd recommend doing some traction/suspension mods before going for any more power...that is a whole different discussion...
If you decide to take the next step which is upgrading the turbo, get ready to spend more money. I'll offer a video I made that might give some insight, this is what I learned and what I spent...true "big turbos" like the Garretts and MRX offer great power with a later power curve than the hybrids...you'll need to research that as well before spending your money...hybrids spool earlier and offer comparable power while keeping stock spool/feel...it's all about how you want the car to drive...anyhow here's that video on the true cost of a turbo upgrade...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3NtaeQZBRo&t=7s
Good luck!
Question on step 2, buying used Accessport. Can/or should you delete all the files that were originally on the Accessport? Or are you starting with a blank slate when you buy it when it is “uninstalled”, just like buying a new AP? Is there risk to buying a used one such as potential damage/misuse or are they pretty bulletproof? Thanks

Spork1569

Question on step 2, buying used Accessport. Can/or should you delete all the files that were originally on the Accessport? Or are you starting with a blank slate when you buy it when it is “uninstalled”, just like buying a new AP? Is there risk to buying a used one such as potential damage/misuse or are they pretty bulletproof? Thanks
Mine came with some tunes from the previous user but they were custom tunes(meant for that specific car only) and thus I wiped the whole thing clean as soon as I installed.

I think the option is "restore OTS map tunes" which basically equates to a factory reset of the maps on the AP.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #48
Well, this thread blew up. OP should have lots of information by now. If you have specific questions about changing parts yourself if you wanna give it a go, just message this thread again and I'm sure you'll get lots of help.
Yep i really like how helpful this place is, you guys rock. I will definitely be sticking around. Im also a member of a forum for my other hobby which is photography, been a steady poster for about 8 years on that site. I don't have many hobbies but the ones i do im into long term, and i think i got the automotive bug now.

I think im also addicted to thee STs, i don't have another car in my price range i'd rather have, i love my FIST. If this one exploded tomorrow, i'd buy another one to replace it.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Yep i really like how helpful this place is, you guys rock. I will definitely be sticking around. Im also a member of a forum for my other hobby which is photography, been a steady poster for about 8 years on that site. I don't have many hobbies but the ones i do im into long term, and i think i got the automotive bug now.

I think im also addicted to thee STs, i don't have another car in my price range i'd rather have, i love my FIST. If this one exploded tomorrow, i'd buy another one to replace it.
There's a reason the Fiesta is the number one selling car in Europe/England. The ST is probably the best "bang for your buck" cars under $50,000 (imo) and is really fun and easy to work on. You came to a great place. If you ever have any questions, dm me and I'll help however I can.

Last edited:
OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #50
There's a reason the Fiesta is the number one selling car in Europe. The ST is probably the best "bang for your buck" cars under $50,000 (imo) and is really fun and easy to work on. You came to a great place. If you ever have any questions, dm me and I'll help however I can.
Wow i didn't know it was #1 there, at least somebody appreciates it (Ford im not happy with you in the US). I appreciate the offer and will keep you in mind Hyper, tyvm.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Wow i didn't know it was #1 there, at least somebody appreciates it (Ford im not happy with you in the US). I appreciate the offer and will keep you in mind Hyper, tyvm.
Happy to help! Also, I just made a thread on Photoshop so as a photographer I figured that would interest you. Feel free to check it out as it grows (hopefully)

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #52
Happy to help! Also, I just made a thread on Photoshop so as a photographer I figured that would interest you. Feel free to check it out as it grows (hopefully)
LOL will do. I use PS as i shoot only raw but im not the most versed, just do basic processing. I was going to mention if anybody had questions about photography im willing to help but you may be ahead of me there too 🤣

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
LOL will do. I use PS as i shoot only raw but im not the most versed, just do basic processing. I was going to mention if anybody had questions about photography im willing to help but you may be ahead of me there too 🤣
The only photography/editing knowledge I have is from high school lol so you've definitely got me there. If anyone needs photography help I'll send them to you.

jeff

2000 Post Club
A used AP should be unmarried, that unpairs it from a specific car and allows it to be paired to a new car. It can only be paired to one car at a time, make sure if you buy used that they send you a picture of the "unmarried" screen.

A used AP, even after being unmarried, could have two types of files on it, depending on how much the previous owner deleted before selling:

(1) OTS or "canned" tunes - these are the same ones anyone can download for free from the Cobb website - you get options for 91 and 93 gas and also valet tune, eco tune, a few other options iirc...these tunes will work for any Fiesta as long as it has the proper hardware, which is designated by the "stages" 0,1,2, and 3.

You might also find other "canned" tunes that work on any car as long as the hardware/fuel is right...many tuners sell a canned tune, these are beneficial, just make sure it's canned and not custom...Stratified, Dizzy, many other sell these, they are usually cheap, like under $100.

(2) Custom tunes - these are tunes that were purchased and made specifically for a certain car. They take time to build are more expensive; the owner sends logs to the tuner who uses them to tweak the tune, and then sends it back to the owner, who loads it, tries it out, does more logs, repeat. Usually a custom tune takes 3-7 of these exchanges if it's done over e-mail. Of course it can also be done in person, though e-tuning gets great results these days. But even if you have the same hardware as the car that previously used these tunes, I would be wary of using a customized tune from another car, as there are all sorts of variables that were taken into account when building that map/tune, and it is likely not safe/optimal for your particular car.

If I were buying a used AP (I did actually) I'd just wipe all the tunes and start over downloading the free ones myself, just to be safe and get a clean slate.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #55
A used AP should be unmarried, that unpairs it from a specific car and allows it to be paired to a new car. It can only be paired to one car at a time, make sure if you buy used that they send you a picture of the "unmarried" screen.

A used AP, even after being unmarried, could have two types of files on it, depending on how much the previous owner deleted before selling:

(1) OTS or "canned" tunes - these are the same ones anyone can download for free from the Cobb website - you get options for 91 and 93 gas and also valet tune, eco tune, a few other options iirc...these tunes will work for any Fiesta as long as it has the proper hardware, which is designated by the "stages" 0,1,2, and 3.

You might also find other "canned" tunes that work on any car as long as the hardware/fuel is right...many tuners sell a canned tune, these are beneficial, just make sure it's canned and not custom...Stratified, Dizzy, many other sell these, they are usually cheap, like under $100.

(2) Custom tunes - these are tunes that were purchased and made specifically for a certain car. They take time to build are more expensive; the owner sends logs to the tuner who uses them to tweak the tune, and then sends it back to the owner, who loads it, tries it out, does more logs, repeat. Usually a custom tune takes 3-7 of these exchanges if it's done over e-mail. Of course it can also be done in person, though e-tuning gets great results these days. But even if you have the same hardware as the car that previously used these tunes, I would be wary of using a customized tune from another car, as there are all sorts of variables that were taken into account when building that map/tune, and it is likely not safe/optimal for your particular car.

If I were buying a used AP (I did actually) I'd just wipe all the tunes and start over downloading the free ones myself, just to be safe and get a clean slate.
Well i know you know your stuff Jeff, everything here is pretty much what i read last night with hours of searching. The only thing else mentioned is unless you see the used AP in person when buying, you don't know for sure it's not still married. I'd assume most people aren't sadists so probably safe to buy used but still possible.

I think i will buy used also, if it means i can shave a month or two off my saving up time. If i plan this right, i can have a OTS tune in my car before Halloween, and for Christmas i can give myself the gift of a used FMIC, labor included 🤑 , followed by a stage 2 tune.

Spork1569

Well i know you know your stuff Jeff, everything here is pretty much what i read last night with hours of searching. The only thing else mentioned is unless you see the used AP in person when buying, you don't know for sure it's not still married. I'd assume most people aren't sadists so probably safe to buy used but still possible.

I think i will buy used also, if it means i can shave a month or two off my saving up time. If i plan this right, i can have a OTS tune in my car before Halloween, and for Christmas i can give myself the gift of a used FMIC, labor included 🤑 , followed by a stage 2 tune.
If you buy used here it's a requirement to have a pic of the unmarried AP before it sells, I would make sure to request the same from wherever you buy it.

jeff

2000 Post Club

That’s what I did, I bought a used one, just make sure they have the “unmarried” picture, they come up for sale all the time.

I did the same thing you mentioned there, added little bits of power at a time to appreciate each one and appreciate the differences.

Mikey456

Great info... I know a lot of folks run these Access Ports in their cars. Does excess heat or cold effect the function of the AP? Or when buying a used AP it is the case of it working or not working because there are no moving pieces. The new one comes with a warranty from Cobb too? And the manual is presumably downloadable from Cobb? Never had one, that’s why I ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #59
Great info... I know a lot of folks run these Access Ports in their cars. Does excess heat or cold effect the function of the AP? Or when buying a used AP it is the case of it working or not working because there are no moving pieces. The new one comes with a warranty from Cobb too? And the manual is presumably downloadable from Cobb? Never had one, that’s why I ask.

As the resident noob im gonna go on a limb and try to answer. From what i've read, you don't even need the AP hooked up once you install the new tune. Once it's in the CPU, it's in. Perhaps it could get so cold/hot that when you hook up the AP it wouldn't work but that could happen to anything no? The car CPU, our phones, ect. I don't think you should worry about this issue. With that said i wouldn't leave it in a hot car in the sun, same with phones ect.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club

As with all electronics, try not to get them too hot, cold, wet, or in humidity if possible. They shouldn't be too bad, but don't take the risk imo. Buying a used Accessport should be fine, since unless it is physically damaged from a drop or something. One thing you should know is that you need to MAKE SURE IT IS UNMARRIED BEFORE PURCHASING, meaning make sure the previous owner took his car off of it before you buy it, or it will not work.