Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hyundai Elantra N-Line

Business6

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/amp33584436/2021-hyundai-elantra-n-line-revealed/

1.6L Turbo w/201hp, 195lb ft
6 speed manual (yay)
18" wheels

No mention of weight, yet, but between 3000-3200lbs is obvious enough. The lower the better, of course.

I don't have any interest in this but it's good to see a new option. Unfortunately I can't shake that it looks far too much like the Saturn in the rear. Seriously, that back end whale tail looks awful.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
I like the car. The price, not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I guess this is what they are calling the Elantra Sport now? Same drivetrain from the 2017-2020 models. Neat cars, I drove a couple. Nice, but I wasn't blown away. Still, always nice to have more options

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The N 'line' hatch will look tons better.

But WHY can't they just bring in the actual N i30 hatch instead??

It's not like the Veloster model Ns are flying off of the dealers' lots, and they would 'hurt it's sales', since the sheeple in this land will only buy SUVs/CUVs anyway.

The N 'line' hatch will look tons better.

But WHY can't they just bring in the actual N i30 hatch instead??

It's not like the Veloster model Ns are flying off of the dealers' lots, and they would 'hurt it's sales', since the sheeple in this land will only buy SUVs/CUVs anyway.
The Elantra GT N-Line (which is an i30 N-line) is dead in the US starting in 2021. The Veloster is getting Hyundai’s backing on this continent, and they apparently don’t want the Elantra GT to poach Veloster sales.

Which is all something I’m sorta bummed about. The Elantra GT N-Line was on the short list of cars and that I’d consider replacing my FiST with, I quite like the Veloster but it’s limited to 4 seats and I need to squeeze in 5 every once in a while (done it about a dozen times in the FiST) I get that they aren’t as good to drive but their spec sheets line up very nicely with the FiST, just the Elantra GT is a bit bigger, I figure it’d be a set of dampers and swaybars away from greatness.

Last edited:
I'm definitely mixed on this. On the one hand, available with a manual! On the other, Hyundai seems to have fallen in to the trap of axing features on their manual cars (the good stuff like ventilated seats couldn't be had on the manual GT N-Line hatchback). Also, it's a sedan, and I have zero interest in sedans, though sedans are still a segment of small cars that sells well in the US, so I get why Hyundai is moving their resources there.

R/GTI/CTR/Veloster N look to be the only options left in hot hatches (or even warm hatches). The new Mazda3 turbo doesn't count, because auto only. Really hoping Toyota doesn't screw up the GR Corolla.

Mikey456

R/GTI/CTR/Veloster N look to be the only options left in hot hatches (or even warm hatches). The new Mazda3 turbo doesn't count, because auto only. Really hoping Toyota doesn't screw up the GR Corolla.[/QUOTE]

I think the regular Corolla Hatch has some potential. Speed Academy did a “Toyota Corolla Build-Daily Driver Challenge” on YouTube. I’m not a fan of the gold wheels but the car looks good. Just needs a little more power (maybe a supercharger or some bolt ons).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the regular Corolla Hatch has some potential. Speed Academy did a “Toyota Corolla Build-Daily Driver Challenge” on YouTube. I’m not a fan of the gold wheels but the car looks good. Just needs a little more power (maybe a supercharger or some bolt ons).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Corolla hatch with the 6MT is very close to being a "warm hatch", no argument there. The platform is definitely capable of taking a lot more power, which is why I really want to see the GR Corolla do well.

I'm definitely mixed on this. On the one hand, available with a manual! On the other, Hyundai seems to have fallen in to the trap of axing features on their manual cars (the good stuff like ventilated seats couldn't be had on the manual GT N-Line hatchback). Also, it's a sedan, and I have zero interest in sedans, though sedans are still a segment of small cars that sells well in the US, so I get why Hyundai is moving their resources there.

R/GTI/CTR/Veloster N look to be the only options left in hot hatches (or even warm hatches). The new Mazda3 turbo doesn't count, because auto only. Really hoping Toyota doesn't screw up the GR Corolla.
Plenty of hatches that are considered hot hatches across the pond come in auto only. Obviously we all need to see how it drives, but discounting the Mazda 3 turbo because of its transmission seems a premature decision, especially since if there is enough interest in a mass appeal model like an auto equipped one they may offer a manual down the line. The reason the GTI is still available in the US while the real ST products have been abandoned in this market is because VW understands the importance bulk sales models make, so while they offer a manual their auto version outsells it by a wide margin and they are therefore able to make a business case for the GTI (and R) in general. Makes me wonder if we’d have the current Fiesta ST if ford had offered a better auto in the non ST models and had also made it an option on the ST.

Plenty of hatches that are considered hot hatches across the pond come in auto only. Obviously we all need to see how it drives, but discounting the Mazda 3 turbo because of its transmission seems a premature decision, especially since if there is enough interest in a mass appeal model like an auto equipped one they may offer a manual down the line. The reason the GTI is still available in the US while the real ST products have been abandoned in this market is because VW understands the importance bulk sales models make, so while they offer a manual their auto version outsells it by a wide margin and they are therefore able to make a business case for the GTI (and R) in general. Makes me wonder if we’d have the current Fiesta ST if ford had offered a better auto in the non ST models and had also made it an option on the ST.

As a Miata owner it hurts me to say, but Mazda's six speed auto is old and it feels old. It's just not in the same class as VW's DSG. I hope to be pleasantly surprised, but I don't think I will be. VW is also moving to a wet clutch DSG on the mk8 GTI, which is going to make that gap even bigger.

To me at least, a "hot hatch" must have three pedals.

As a Miata owner it hurts me to say, but Mazda's six speed auto is old and it feels old. It's just not in the same class as VW's DSG. I hope to be pleasantly surprised, but I don't think I will be. VW is also moving to a wet clutch DSG on the mk8 GTI, which is going to make that gap even bigger.

To me at least, a "hot hatch" must have three pedals.
You know VW’s DSG predates the skyactiv trans in Mazda by about a decade, right? DSG was first used in a mass market car in 2003, current skyactiv transmission debuted in 2013, and is the only torque converter auto on the market that uses a clutch to lock the torque converter in every scenario above creeping speeds. I’ve never driven a DSG, but I’ve had experience with dual clutches from both Ford and Hyundai (Hyundai’s is actually generally well regarded) and both drive worse than Mazda’s slushbox.

I’ve never had an issue with Mazda’s current slushbox, shifts quick when you manually call them, will hold gears and let you bang off the rev limiter all day, even left in auto mode does a decent job with aggressive downshifts. You want to feel an old feeling trans, try out Fords 6F35.

You know VW’s DSG predates the skyactiv trans in Mazda by about a decade, right? DSG was first used in a mass market car in 2003, current skyactiv transmission debuted in 2013, and is the only torque converter auto on the market that uses a clutch to lock the torque converter in every scenario above creeping speeds. I’ve never driven a DSG, but I’ve had experience with dual clutches from both Ford and Hyundai (Hyundai’s is actually generally well regarded) and both drive worse than Mazda’s slushbox.

I’ve never had an issue with Mazda’s current slushbox, shifts quick when you manually call them, will hold gears and let you bang off the rev limiter all day, even left in auto mode does a decent job with aggressive downshifts. You want to feel an old feeling trans, try out Fords 6F35.

I’m aware, but VW has been continuously iterating the DSG with improvements, and Mazda... hasn’t. I would still prefer it to any other torque converter auto, excepting maybe ZF’s 8 speed. But I wouldn’t have it in anything I would consider a hot hatch, nor would I have a DSG. Both are good for what they are, but it’s that “what they are” part that turns me off. That analog connection to the gearbox is a big part of what makes the experience for me.

I know a lot of people rave over Ford and GM’s 10 speed as well, but I’ve never found an application of it that I liked. Maybe it’s just me.

A lot of us are looking at their next car to replace the Fiesta ST and Ford has nothing to offer. My 2017 is starting to show signs of the dreaded corrosion working it's way through seams and hinges so I've started the process also. Ford Performance did their job and gave us a fun car to drive but the build quality just wasn't there. So It's adios Ford....

A lot of us are looking at their next car to replace the Fiesta ST and Ford has nothing to offer. My 2017 is starting to show signs of the dreaded corrosion working it's way through seams and hinges so I've started the process also. Ford Performance did their job and gave us a fun car to drive but the build quality just wasn't there. So It's adios Ford....
It was a cheap car. A lot of hot hatches were cheap cars. It's kind of one of the hallmarks of a hot hatch (take your cheap commuter car, add a lot of power and a sharper suspension). The last true incarnation of the hot hatch, in my opinion. Everything else has strayed too far in one direction or another, or falls short on some point.

I’m aware, but VW has been continuously iterating the DSG with improvements, and Mazda... hasn’t. I would still prefer it to any other torque converter auto, excepting maybe ZF’s 8 speed. But I wouldn’t have it in anything I would consider a hot hatch, nor would I have a DSG. Both are good for what they are, but it’s that “what they are” part that turns me off. That analog connection to the gearbox is a big part of what makes the experience for me.

I know a lot of people rave over Ford and GM’s 10 speed as well, but I’ve never found an application of it that I liked. Maybe it’s just me.
No I’m firmly of the opinion that Ford has no idea how to program a transmission. Pretty much every other manufacturer hat builds torque converter autos at least provides a transmission that stays out of your way. Every time I’m driving a Ford auto, it always seems to be gear hunting and consistently incentivizes me to keep it in manual mode, which then highlights how poor a job they do at intigrating manual mode into their autos. The only automatic transmissions I’ve hated more are Nissan/Mitsubishi CVTs. I haven’t driven a GM product in ages but I’m now curious to see if it is just a ford software issue or if the trans itself is just poorly designed.

No I’m firmly of the opinion that Ford has no idea how to program a transmission. Pretty much every other manufacturer hat builds torque converter autos at least provides a transmission that stays out of your way. Every time I’m driving a Ford auto, it always seems to be gear hunting and consistently incentivizes me to keep it in manual mode, which then highlights how poor a job they do at intigrating manual mode into their autos. The only automatic transmissions I’ve hated more are Nissan/Mitsubishi CVTs. I haven’t driven a GM product in ages but I’m now curious to see if it is just a ford software issue or if the trans itself is just poorly designed.

The Straight Pipes did a video recently on the Camaro ZL1 with the 10 speed. They liked how fast it was, but noted that some of the ratios seemed too close for how fast the ZL1 builds revs. They don't change the gear sets for different applications... which is a problem. Just changing the rear end isn't going to magically make it work with every type of engine and use case. It does look like there's a new revision on the way that makes some mild changes to the gear set, but I'm not convinced that's going to fix the issues.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
That is hot, and I like it better than both the i30N, and the Veloster N, but does us no good if it is never going to be offered HERE! [:(] [mad]

Last edited:

SteveS

1000 Post Club

The 10 speed in my F150 is great