Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hyundai gettin the aftermarket tune love finally

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I don't really get the Forte GT (like where it lives in the lineup) but it's neat to see the Korean cars getting some tuning love. I have to admit I kinda like everything about the Veloster N DCT except for looking at it - I'm excited to see an Elantra N IRL. I think that might be my next daily, boys!

(Sidebar, I test drove a friend's RS5 and the sound alone almost sold me, despite my lifelong dislike of VAG vehicles. Best sounding VAG car since the R32 hands down).

OP
akiraproject24

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Thread Starter #3
I don't really get the Forte GT (like where it lives in the lineup) but it's neat to see the Korean cars getting some tuning love. I have to admit I kinda like everything about the Veloster N DCT except for looking at it - I'm excited to see an Elantra N IRL. I think that might be my next daily, boys!

(Sidebar, I test drove a friend's RS5 and the sound alone almost sold me, despite my lifelong dislike of VAG vehicles. Best sounding VAG car since the R32 hands down).
Yes the Forte was an odd choice to showcase. This device appears to be useable on other Hyundai vehicles and will be like a Hyundai/Kia accessport.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
That's cool - way better than when I had my fiats. Having to pull your entire ECU and mail it to someone is nerve wracking. What they did was receive your ECU, clone it to a spare one, and then modify the spare with the tune and send them both back. Going in for service? Swap the whole ECU lol.

OP
akiraproject24

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Thread Starter #5
That's cool - way better than when I had my fiats. Having to pull your entire ECU and mail it to someone is nerve wracking. What they did was receive your ECU, clone it to a spare one, and then modify the spare with the tune and send them both back. Going in for service? Swap the whole ECU lol.
That was what most velosters were doing unless they used those piggy back chips. One of the reasons I went with the FiST instead of the Veloster N was the ease of tuning (and the 10k price difference). If this thing gets support from tuners, the korean cars may get a bump in the aftermarket as well.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
After I drove the RS5 I swear I almost straight up sold both my cars and bought one lol - the rs3 sounds pretty awesome too but god I hate VAG vehicles

Last edited:

Magnetic

I'm considering buying the Veloster N. Only thing holding me back is that they might be making a mid-engined version in a couple years. J

I'll be keeping the FiST just want something a bit more daily.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I'm considering buying the Veloster N. Only thing holding me back is that they might be making a mid-engined version in a couple years. J

I'll be keeping the FiST just want something a bit more daily.
I'm going to guess a midengine version is going to cost significantly more and be a lot less utilitarian but it would be cool.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Significantly more expensive. A small mid-engine car is not going to have room for anything.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Magnetic

I'm going to guess a midengine version is going to cost significantly more and be a lot less utilitarian but it would be cool.
\

I've been doing some research and it'll be between $40K and $50k. I'm happy to to get it so long as they don't mark it up. Will have 325-350HP.

If Ford would make a damn Fiesta ST Roadster I'd buy that but Ford is being a bunch of idiots right now. LoL

Magnetic

I
Significantly more expensive. A small mid-engine car is not going to have room for anything.

I'll be keeping the FiST so dont need any extra space aside from a weekend getaway bag. Plus a passenger seat for the hot chicks that I'll have riding shotgun LoL

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club

After years of building and driving v8 fieros and owning a couple other midengine cars... yeah trunk space isn't even a factor beyond "has some" or "has none" lol. So weird to stand in the trunk to work on the engine.

Business6

I'm glad this opens up the KDM cars' conservative tunes and provides more options. Figures there'd be a ton more power on tap but this should bring attention to the durability of the drivetrain and cooling systems. I'd be very interested in those numbers.

Magnetic

I'm glad this opens up the KDM cars' conservative tunes and provides more options. Figures there'd be a ton more power on tap but this should bring attention to the durability of the drivetrain and cooling systems. I'd be very interested in those numbers.
They're now using a wet DCT since they have a 10 year/100K mile warranty. This will bring durability and reliability to the platform. I'm really itching and holding back from getting they Veloster N. That warranty is SOLID!

They also warrant the car even if it's tracked. Hyundai knows the drivetrain is good for it.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
The G70 I have shares the same powertrain as the Kia stinger and I have seen some pretty impressive power numbers. Unfortunately at this time the tuning is limited to methods that I do not care for. So hopefully some better tuning options become available one day for the 3.3 twin turbo V6. Hyundai, Kia and Genesis definitely seem to play on the safe side.

Example of power levels below.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...hare_fid=2021206&share_type=t&link_source=app

Last edited:
OP
akiraproject24

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Thread Starter #16
The G70 I have shares the same powertrain as the Kia stinger and I have seen some pretty impressive power numbers. Unfortunately at this time the tuning is limited to methods that I do not care for. So hopefully some better tuning options become available one day for the 3.3 twin turbo V6. Hyundai, Kia and Genesis definitely seem to play on the safe side.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https://www.genesisg70.org/index.php?threads/4376/&share_tid=4376&share_fid=2021206&share_type=t&link_source=app

They appear to have some 3.3 TT calibrations for this thing. EK1 Pro, stuff looks pricy at least compared to our accessports.
https://sxthelement.com/ek1-pro/

Magnetic

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https://www.genesisg70.org/index.php?threads/4376/&share_tid=4376&share_fid=2021206&share_type=t&link_source=app

I think Hyundai/Kia motor group may be the next Honda in regards to big power potential. They have been selling cars with HUGE warranties so they must have learned something. I'm not sure if I would Tune the Veloster N mainly because of that sweet warranty. I hope the 2023 VN will have a bit more power from the factory. If it had another 25 to 50 HP so it would be 300+ I think it would totally be able to take the Type R for a good run.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I think Hyundai/Kia motor group may be the next Honda in regards to big power potential. They have been selling cars with HUGE warranties so they must have learned something. I'm not sure if I would Tune the Veloster N mainly because of that sweet warranty. I hope the 2023 VN will have a bit more power from the factory. If it had another 25 to 50 HP so it would be 300+ I think it would totally be able to take the Type R for a good run.
I'm not sure the VN has the chassis for much more power - like, it could probably handle it, but I'm not sure if it can put it down as well as the R without significant changes. The last couple times I drove a performance package N and the new DCT it would squirm a bit at the current power level. I do kinda wish the VN had the ZF 8 speed auto instead of the dct's just don't feel right creeping in traffic.(yes I know that's a RWD trans but you know what I mean).

Someone could always go full bonkers and do a dual engine setup like that old Tiburon from Sport Compact Car lol - with the DCT instead of manuals it would be a lot easier to have a totally separate package front and rear
https://www.motorauthority.com/news...i-tiburon-does-donut-dance-rips-off-10s-video

Magnetic

I'm not sure the VN has the chassis for much more power - like, it could probably handle it, but I'm not sure if it can put it down as well as the R without significant changes. The last couple times I drove a performance package N and the new DCT it would squirm a bit at the current power level. I do kinda wish the VN had the ZF 8 speed auto instead of the dct's just don't feel right creeping in traffic.(yes I know that's a RWD trans but you know what I mean).

Someone could always go full bonkers and do a dual engine setup like that old Tiburon from Sport Compact Car lol - with the DCT instead of manuals it would be a lot easier to have a totally separate package front and rear
https://www.motorauthority.com/news...i-tiburon-does-donut-dance-rips-off-10s-video
The DCT in the VN is a 8 speed so it's a completely different transmission than the one in the other N-line models. I believe this transmission in going to elevate Hyundai to another level. The ZX is good but I have a feeling the one in the VN is a faster shifting trans. I know they added a lot of bracing to the VN and am still researching the chassis changes so dont have much info. The ZX can cetainly handle 800HP but I dont see the VN making that kind of power effectively putting it down.

I almost bought the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio a couple months back but didn't want to pay the 30% increase in used car prices (given the chip shortage) so I passed until next year and am considering getting it new if the price gouging continues on used cars.

I really like the hot hatch platform and in an age where fossil fuel vehicles are being eradicated for more toxic production electric vehicles, we could be seeing the last of gas powered automobiles at this very moment and I want some to keep as family heirlooms before they go extinct. Even considering the GT350 just for history sake.

At the end of the day, were are running out of time.