Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hyundai gettin the aftermarket tune love finally

I'm not sure the VN has the chassis for much more power - like, it could probably handle it, but I'm not sure if it can put it down as well as the R without significant changes. The last couple times I drove a performance package N and the new DCT it would squirm a bit at the current power level. I do kinda wish the VN had the ZF 8 speed auto instead of the dct's just don't feel right creeping in traffic.(yes I know that's a RWD trans but you know what I mean).

Someone could always go full bonkers and do a dual engine setup like that old Tiburon from Sport Compact Car lol - with the DCT instead of manuals it would be a lot easier to have a totally separate package front and rear
https://www.motorauthority.com/news...i-tiburon-does-donut-dance-rips-off-10s-video
If it doesnt squirt, whats the fun? Lol oh, you said squirm. Nevermind..

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
The DCT in the VN is a 8 speed so it's a completely different transmission than the one in the other N-line models. I believe this transmission in going to elevate Hyundai to another level. The ZX is good but I have a feeling the one in the VN is a faster shifting trans. I know they added a lot of bracing to the VN and am still researching the chassis changes so dont have much info. The ZX can cetainly handle 800HP but I dont see the VN making that kind of power effectively putting it down.

I almost bought the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio a couple months back but didn't want to pay the 30% increase in used car prices (given the chip shortage) so I passed until next year and am considering getting it new if the price gouging continues on used cars.

I really like the hot hatch platform and in an age where fossil fuel vehicles are being eradicated for more toxic production electric vehicles, we could be seeing the last of gas powered automobiles at this very moment and I want some to keep as family heirlooms before they go extinct. Even considering the GT350 just for history sake.

At the end of the day, were are running out of time.
yeah the dct just didn't feel great in traffic, I'd love a really good fwd auto like the zf one in the stinger gt and so on. Just really smooth for dailying

Magnetic

yeah the dct just didn't feel great in traffic, I'd love a really good fwd auto like the zf one in the stinger gt and so on. Just really smooth for dailying
I'm planning to go check out the VN on the 11th next week. Need to check if my 6'4 frame will fit LoL. I might even take it for a test drive if i do. (only if I do because I dont want to miss the car after test driving it if I cant get it due to my size) I'm curious to know how the DCT feels.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Kind of breezed through the thread and being that I have a VN and have spent many an hour over the EK1 development and release... My general thoughts are:

-Its very expensive. You have to buy the unit ($799), an unlocked ECU ($500), HKS Spark plugs ($150), and the tune itself ($350). So for about ~$1800 you get what is basically an OTS tune w/some revision.
-It is large, no matter where you mount it, it will be in the way of driver field of view or the infotainment.
-You can get a JB4 for around $500 used with all the bells and whistles, sure its not the "same" as a real ECU tune but its nearly 1/4 the cost.

I think its great that it exists, but nothing beats the price and versatility of the accessport. Shame Cobb isnt interested in KDM at all.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm planning to go check out the VN on the 11th next week. Need to check if my 6'4 frame will fit LoL. I might even take it for a test drive if i do. (only if I do because I dont want to miss the car after test driving it if I cant get it due to my size) I'm curious to know how the DCT feels.
You should be fine to fit in it. The seats might not be comfortable to you though (kind of like how the FiST Recaros don't work for everyone). The DCT is sort of clunky in slow traffic but its still fun, I have an MT but would have gotten the DCT had it been an option when I bought.

Whoever compared the N to the Golf R in terms of putting down power. Of course the R has the upper hand, its AWD. That being said I just added around 30hp with my JB4 and have no issues. The car has torque limiters that dont get turned off unless you go for an ecu tune, its great for the track and for carving corners.

Magnetic

You should be fine to fit in it. The seats might not be comfortable to you though (kind of like how the FiST Recaros don't work for everyone). The DCT is sort of clunky in slow traffic but its still fun, I have an MT but would have gotten the DCT had it been an option when I bought.

Whoever compared the N to the Golf R in terms of putting down power. Of course the R has the upper hand, its AWD. That being said I just added around 30hp with my JB4 and have no issues. The car has torque limiters that dont get turned off unless you go for an ecu tune, its great for the track and for carving corners.
I was surprised that I actually fit comfortably in the FiST when I went to check it out back in 2016. God to hear the VN will be a similar fit. I'm 6'4 but a slim guy and the Recaros in my FiST fit just about perfect so hopefully it'll be similar in the VN.

People seem to be comparing the VN also to the Civic Type R which I guess is fine because if it's almost as good I think that's a good sign. Hyundai said the VN wasn't built to compete with the Type R so for it to be close to the Type R says a lot. (Maybe Hyundai has something in store for the Type R? LoL

I also heard they're going to make a Mid-Engined VN which I would totally get depending when it would be released. (If it ever does)

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I also heard they're going to make a Mid-Engined VN which I would totally get depending when it would be released. (If it ever does)
Don't hold your breath for this. The 2022 model year is the last year for the Veloster N anyway. All other models of Veloster have already been discontinued.

Magnetic

I did not know that! Crap looks like I'm on borrowed time. Hate it when it goes down like this. LoL

If it is the last model year it's def a must have now. This will be rare and unique and probably more so the the FiST's because of it's limited production and probably much smaller sales figures. Future rare classic/legend is what it's looking like. I'm going to refinance the house in a couple months and after that I'm going to buy one in Lunar white.

OP
akiraproject24

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Thread Starter #29
I did not know that! Crap looks like I'm on borrowed time. Hate it when it goes down like this. LoL

If it is the last model year it's def a must have now. This will be rare and unique and probably more so the the FiST's because of it's limited production and probably much smaller sales figures. Future rare classic/legend is what it's looking like. I'm going to refinance the house in a couple months and after that I'm going to buy one in Lunar white.
Could try and hold out for the GR Corolla.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
It's going to depend on where those 6 feet 4 inches are allocated. I'm all torso (think penguin-like build) and my head was on the headliner, but I had plenty of leg and knee room - especially in the DCT since I didn't need to dick around with a clutch. The only thing I don't like about DCT's is creeping in traffic, which there is a lot of in SoCal.

Magnetic

gr engine in the 86 asap

if Toyota can put a turbo on a goddamn yaris they need to put one on the f-ing 86.
The reason I never even considered the 86 was because NO TURBO. I dont think I can ever go back to a Non-Turbo car again. The upgradeability and the cheap power gains got me hooked. That car will always be a bastard to me LoL

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account

With the introduction of the Kona N and Elantra N, the Veloster N will be discontinued. Hyundai already released a statement about the Veloster EXCEPT the N being discontinued. It is extremely unlikely that Hyundai will continue to produce the VN as a stand alone model.

Could try and hold out for the GR Corolla.
I hope its good, because knowing Toyota US, it wont be.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
The reason I never even considered the 86 was because NO TURBO. I dont think I can ever go back to a Non-Turbo car again. The upgradeability and the cheap power gains got me hooked. That car will always be a bastard to me LoL
GR Corolla hasn't even been teased yet, Toyota put out a poll about it last year and havent heard anything since.

The new 86/BRZ is a fantastic car. Leagues better than the old one.

Magnetic

With the introduction of the Kona N and Elantra N, the Veloster N will be discontinued. Hyundai already released a statement about the Veloster EXCEPT the N being discontinued. It is extremely unlikely that Hyundai will continue to produce the VN as a stand alone model.

I hope its good, because knowing Toyota US, it wont be.
I just looked up the GR Corolla and it's not nearly as mean looking as the VN. The FiST at least had this sporty fun feisty look to it but the GR is meh... (at most) Plus that Hyundai 100k/10 year warranty and 3 year free maintenance is unbeatable.

The VN has a DL mean look and when you remove the H badge most people will find it hard to identify. I would keep the N badge though.

Magnetic

GR Corolla hasn't even been teased yet, Toyota put out a poll about it last year and havent heard anything since.

The new 86/BRZ is a fantastic car. Leagues better than the old one.
I agree the new car is better. (much better) Matt Farah loves it. But torqy turbs are so much more fun to me. Plus the 86 got played out in my eyes. Everyone has them but not everyone has the FiST or the VN.

OP
akiraproject24

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Thread Starter #38
Yet ANOTHER car I havent heard of!! haha I'll start getting googly but what are your thoughts on it? Are they out yet?
I don't think we are supposed to see it until Late 2022/early 2023. It was Toyotas answer to North America being left in the cold when it came to the GR Yaris which is a sick little car, all wheel drive, carbon roof, built in the GR plant for Toyotas entry into some rally stuff so even without coming to NA, being built in small numbers. The Corolla hasn't a lot of info yet but same power plant as Yaris. Kirk Kreifels channel on youtube covers every little detail as they come out on this car. I will have to wait and see but I have a feeling I am going to want one. I bet the doors wont rust out on them though.

Magnetic

I don't think we are supposed to see it until Late 2022/early 2023. It was Toyotas answer to North America being left in the cold when it came to the GR Yaris which is a sick little car, all wheel drive, carbon roof, built in the GR plant for Toyotas entry into some rally stuff so even without coming to NA, being built in small numbers. The Corolla hasn't a lot of info yet but same power plant as Yaris. Kirk Kreifels channel on youtube covers every little detail as they come out on this car. I will have to wait and see but I have a feeling I am going to want one. I bet the doors wont rust out on them though.
Yeah the GR Yarais was a Homologation car meaning they purposely built it for Motorsport and had to sell a specific number to the public so it could qualify for entry. Homologation cars have always been the creme de la creme because they're purpose built race cars that are setup to be road legal (barely) but with all the smog crap here in the US they may not make any for us anymore. Especially with all this Green Deal garbage our government is doing. So sad!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Actually, Toy GR did not have to build a set/certain number of Yaris GR street cars in order to compete in the WRC.

The WRC has been on a 'kit car' type formula for their top spec cars ever since the end of the Group A class era (in 1996), which DID require the building of 5000, (and then 2500 later) 'base' versions of their AWD competition cars.

The current 'kit' formula uses the absolute most base, FWD, econoboxes from each manufacturer, and then applies a whole set rules meeting 'kit' to convert them into the AWD/turbo/sequential gearbox/carbon aero wonder monsters they now are.

It is almost as if Toy 'reverse engineered', 'de-aeroed', and de-tuned their Yaris GR street car from their WRC GR for the sake of enthusiasts (and 'bragging rights', I guess?), since they did NOT have to build it that way in order to compete (it actually was released AFTER they were already competing with the Yaris WRC in events).

But, a carbon fiber roof is VERBOTEN by the FIA in the WRC, so they gave the street cars a little 'something extra'. LOL

Next year the WRC Rally 1 class goes to a hybrid formula, so even LESS chance of any manufacturers building a SMALL hot hatch with a co$tly powerful hybrid AWD drivetrain just to 'appear like' their ultimate WRC weapons. [:(]