Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

I have been reading about people with over heating issue

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I just swapped in the Mountune + Whoosh hoses. Also changed to 25% coolant + Redline WW. It gets pretty hot here (will break 115* on occasion) and my 18 can't keep up on those extreme days with traffic. I don't need the subzero antifreeze protection. YMMV there.

Also oddly enough, my car came with a 180* thermostat from the factory. Took the housing apart for nothing.
Yep, that's what I thought, '18-'19 get the 180... Yet they wouldn't approve my '17 for that because they couldn't get mine to overheated at 70 degrees even with a blanket over the grill, sigh...

Ive yet to have any cooling issues on my 2014 fist, but I believe the previous owner installed a 180* thermostat also.

koozy

3000 Post Club
You're gonna need to prove with photos or something to confirm 18+MY have a 180 Thermo from the assembly line.

There are several guys with '18's who have overheated.

Ford parts show same thermo part # for 14'+ MY.

The 180 thermo is a Motorcraft part designed to address the recall for '14-'15MY.

I just swapped in the Mountune + Whoosh hoses. Also changed to 25% coolant + Redline WW. It gets pretty hot here (will break 115* on occasion) and my 18 can't keep up on those extreme days with traffic. I don't need the subzero antifreeze protection. YMMV there.

Also oddly enough, my car came with a 180* thermostat from the factory. Took the housing apart for nothing.
Burp that radiator a few times and add coolant/water as necessary. Ask me how I know 🤮

No issues after a few days of daily driving in 100+ temps. I filled it until the nipple started peeing, then several heat cycles.

I didn't take photos, but 82* was clearly stamped on the bottom. I'm not making any statements as to which cars got them and which didn't, just stating my finding.

From all my reading, there's an "issue" with the early USDM fists, but there are also complaints that the FiST cooling system in general is undersized. I think other countries get a 2 row radiator but we only get a 1 row? Doesn't make sense that a UK FiST would get a 2 row, but someone in AZ or TX gets a one row :p
Hi I am based in the UK, I do not suppose you could point me in the direction of the information you found indicating that our version of the radiator is a 2 Row, Thanks Jason.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Crossposting this new post I made on the other thread:

Actually I have since determined it was simply one that PumaSpeed offers that is single pass but 2 row 40mm... it's also available unbranded from China cheaper but appears to be identical including very decent quality. If I decide to keep this car long term, which I very well might, then I'm going to invest in one. But still, I'm very frustrated they can't at least offer the 180 thermostat that appears to maybe be standard on '18-'19 (mk7) that we have over here. The early ones affected by the recall get it, but for those of us with late '15-'17, we are kind of stuck in the middle.

My 2017 over heats in traffic and some mountain climbs. Anyone notice any cooling affect from hood vents?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
You're gonna need to prove with photos or something to confirm 18+MY have a 180 Thermo from the assembly line.

There are several guys with '18's who have overheated.

Ford parts show same thermo part # for 14'+ MY.

The 180 thermo is a Motorcraft part designed to address the recall for '14-'15MY.
180 is actually the recommended temp now, many parts sites show this but official parts don't really get updated as to not cause mass hysteria for no reason. And yes, I can't accurately claim that all '18-'19's got them, I take that back, but at least some people are reporting they got them stock for sure, just weird how it seems to be so random. But keep in mind that the recall (always a safety thing, never just reliability) was specifically about the plastic lines that can break, spew coolant and cause a fire, also because of a lack of an overheating sensor to even know when to pull over before it gets to that point caused a dangerous condition. So on top of switching to rubber hoses they add the sensor and add that thermostat, but that thermostat was included mainly because those early ones didn't have full opening until 207 which they switched to 194 in mid '15. But we could all use the 180 to help for at least a little better head start on cooling for shorter stop and go situations. But the biggest thing Ford screwed up big time on, was by going so cheap on the radiator on a turbo car by using the same radiator for a non-turbo car, especially one making so much more power, that's the real travesty.

Last edited:

danbfree

3000 Post Club
My 2017 over heats in traffic and some mountain climbs. Anyone notice any cooling affect from hood vents?
I really don't think they help too much, maybe a little with additional air flow under the hood while moving during mountain climbs, but the main part of our our problems are from a tiny radiator anyway, don't think vents would help enough to consider them for that purpose, although they do look pretty good.