Welcome to the #1 Focus RS Forum and Focus RS community dedicated to Focus RS owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Focus RS Forum today!

I need to just come out and ask...

GhostRS

1000 Post Club
Staff Member
I've heard/read a lot about "Leaking PTUs".... what the HELL is a PTU????? AND, has anyone one on here experienced this with their RS? Is this a common issue with them?

No, I have no issues with my car, but I keep reading about this issue and just can't seem to figure out what people are tailing about.

Thanks.

Power Transfer Unit, basically provides power to the rear wheels on fwd cars. It's been known to fail if you're doing lots of hard launches. Mountune sells a brace that's supposed to provide more support. I haven't seen any signs of leakage on mine.

It's the gray box in these pictures

OP
GhostRS

GhostRS

1000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #3
Power Transfer Unit, basically provides power to the rear wheels on fwd cars. It's been known to fail if you're doing lots of hard launches. Mountune sells a brace that's supposed to provide more support. I haven't seen any signs of leakage on mine.
THANK YOU!
Damn, I wanted to know WTF that was forever.

LonestarRS

Same no issues here either, another one to the checklist of items I need to keep an eye on.

OP
GhostRS

GhostRS

1000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #6
Same no issues here either, another one to the checklist of items I need to keep an eye on.
Right? Man I love my car but sometimes all I hear is doom and gloom. I don't want to think that way.

MKIIIRS

Staff Member
I wasn't even aware of this issue either and I do drive the Focus hard at times.