Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

I think i have a boost leak?

So when i left this evening the car offered a new noise, guessing it's a boost leak but i figured i'd ask here first. The problem, once i get past about 15 psi, it will make a vibration and sound and loses power. The sound is like a loud fluttering, a very fast thud thud thud thud, almost like an old car with bad exhaust leak, similar to when it was constantly misfiring on #2 due to a bad plug connection. But this only happens once i get past about 15psi. In all other circumstances it sounds and drives exactly as it should. For reference it has been running as high as 27psi with no issue until this today. Charge temps are as they have been for months so i assume the FMIC itself is operating normally, it would seem there's a threshold of about 15psi where everything is normal till then, then it's spuddering. If i continue to WOT during fluttering it hasn't gone past 22psi, although i haven't been too pushy just in case it was something else wrong.

Looking up boost leaks i read a lot about hissing sounds and such but considering it seems to have that same 15/16psi threshold before it gurgles, i was hoping it was a hose clamp that's loose or something and was holding boost till that point. About a week ago i had a catless DP installed but that should be on the exhaust side and shouldn't affect boost right? No engine codes popped fyi. Taking it to the shop that has done all my work so far first thing in the morning but i wanted to ask here in case i had any advice/info to bring with me in the morning.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Little Turbskys like back pressure* you now have none...this could be playing into the issue.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #3
Little Turbskys like back pressure* you now have none...this could be playing into the issue.
I will run that by my guy in the morning too but i found something else that could be the prob. #2 from left to right (facing the front end) ignition coil was wiggly. The spudder sounds conspiciously like the misfire did a while back and now i find a loose coil, not flopping around but easily twisted a bit by hand. I tried tightening it down but i think one of the screws is cross stripped, making the 2nd screw take the load and i didn't want to over tighten it and snap it.

So i tightened it up a bit to where the coil was a good bit tighter (but definately not perfect flush) and took it for a drive. Spuddering was there but the breaks between putt putts were shorter, as in higher freqency, and holding WOT got up to 25psi, power was down but not as much. The only reason i checked ignition was many discussion online suggested plugs or coils and i remember the same feel to the car when i had that misfire, fixing it with reinstalling the coils several times.

On one hand if it is just a misaligned coil, simple. But if it's misaligned due to a cross stripped bolt, how many ways are there to fix that?

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #4
Ok just an update for whoever it may help. So it was apparently a bad coil. Shop hooked up their box while we drove it and it showed a #2 misfirmy guy suspected it was the coil. So I got a new one from Napa and bolted it in and voila. Over 27psi no sputters.
I was advised to get better coils as the Napa version are cheapos so I will and next week they will be looking at the stripped coil bolt to find a permanent fix.
So happy my baby can flex again !
With that said, any advice on what are good coils that aren’t $500?

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Ok just an update for whoever it may help. So it was apparently a bad coil. Shop hooked up their box while we drove it and it showed a #2 misfirmy guy suspected it was the coil. So I got a new one from Napa and bolted it in and voila. Over 27psi no sputters.
I was advised to get better coils as the Napa version are cheapos so I will and next week they will be looking at the stripped coil bolt to find a permanent fix.
So happy my baby can flex again !
With that said, any advice on what are good coils that aren’t $500?
I used NKG coils from rock auto. They weren't super expensive and they've worked fine for me so far

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I will run that by my guy in the morning too but i found something else that could be the prob. #2 from left to right (facing the front end) ignition coil was wiggly. The spudder sounds conspiciously like the misfire did a while back and now i find a loose coil, not flopping around but easily twisted a bit by hand. I tried tightening it down but i think one of the screws is cross stripped, making the 2nd screw take the load and i didn't want to over tighten it and snap it.

So i tightened it up a bit to where the coil was a good bit tighter (but definately not perfect flush) and took it for a drive. Spuddering was there but the breaks between putt putts were shorter, as in higher freqency, and holding WOT got up to 25psi, power was down but not as much. The only reason i checked ignition was many discussion online suggested plugs or coils and i remember the same feel to the car when i had that misfire, fixing it with reinstalling the coils several times.

On one hand if it is just a misaligned coil, simple. But if it's misaligned due to a cross stripped bolt, how many ways are there to fix that?
How many miles are on your FiST?

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk