Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Illegal california mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
IF you actually get 'reffed' there, is the dyno/tail pipe sniffer a REQUIREMENT at that point?
Not sure if it is or not a lot of the stuff is up to the sole discretion of the ref. I have talked to refs in the past that were cool and advised you and others that were completely strict by the book I am gonna make you squirm types.
I went through that with a tailpipe ticked on a 240sx they literally lifted the hood and started inspecting all sorts of stuff unrelated to the citation and violation. It was rather ridiculous if you ask me . LA Trade Tech was the place and I think thats were Koozy went. Which explains why they looked his car up and down and every inch and then proceeded to tailpipe test. That school is the worst. Where as the guy over at El Camino college in Gardena was kinda cool when I was talking to him about engine swaps back about 10 years ago.

Mikey456

I remember reading about Koozy’s experience with regard to getting his car smogged. He passed smog with Cobb stage 1 tune. I would think a tune for a hybrid turbo is likely different then one for a standard turbo and would result in differing emissions results. I could be wrong?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
To add to the above...he did have to get a stricter tailpipe emissions as I recall.
yes I mentioned they tailpiped him . One could flash back to a stock or Cobb Tune to do the sensor check. As long as you are not boosting i.e. staying around 2500 -3k rpm going to the smog check place. All they do is plug in your OBDII.

There is a task force over here just for street racing called “street team” so if they think your modified they’ll pull you over and if they aren’t sure they send you to the state ref. It’s so stupid because in this area we have nothing but slow cars I don’t understand! But yeah as soon as he pulled up the my window he said “ you have an accesport too! Pop your hood” that’s it. Either I pop my hood or get my car impounded for 30 days nowhere on the ticket is there any other violation it says emissions
This is literally every reason I could never live someplace like CA. Beautiful place, but I’m good without the overreach lol

Dpro

6000 Post Club
This is literally every reason I could never live someplace like CA. Beautiful place, but I’m good without the overreach lol
That overreach you seem to be loudly proclaiming would make you never live here is not everywhere. I.E. he lives in Palm Springs an area known for super rich retiree’s . Its not like the cops have much else to do it out there unless they head over to the weirdness that is the Salton Sea and mess with the meth-heads.
So ya I drive around Los Angeles all the time with a S280 powered FiST Orange I might add and cops barely look it a me if they look at me at all. Its usually in the slower more super upscale boring area’s where there is nothing going on to begin with i.e. Palm Springs, Irvine etc…..

P.S. I always find it extremely funny that the people that bag on Cali the most all are out of staters that do not live here.
Not saying its perfect but ya leave your criticisms to your own state and let us take care of ours

P.P.S thats a rhetorical thought do not even think of answering it.

Last edited:
That overreach you seem to be loudly proclaiming would make you never live here is not everywhere. I.E. he lives in Palm Springs an area known for super rich retiree’s . Its not like the cops have much else to do it out there unless they head over to the weirdness that is the Salton Sea and mess with the meth-heads.
So ya I drive around Los Angeles all the time with a S280 powered FiST Orange I might add and cops barely look it a me if they look at me at all. Its usually in the slower more super upscale boring area’s where there is nothing going on to begin with i.e. Palm Springs, Irvine etc…..

P.S. I always find it extremely funny that the people that bag on Cali the most all are out of staters that do not live here.
Not saying its perfect but ya leave your criticisms to your own state and let us take care of ours

P.P.S thats a rhetorical thought do not even think of answering it.
coming from a “flyover state” I’m pretty used to people having high opinions of a place they’ve never been or lived. Sorry to have hurt your feelings

Fiestig

Coming from ND to CA I thought it would be impossible to mod anything out here (I was one of the naysayers)... Simply put.... I was wrong :cool: I can live with not removing a catalytic converter which seems to be the only real holy crap no-no. Keep in mind, growing up in the upper midwest (in the 80s) you also had the assumption that California was a dirty concrete jungle of buildings.... Again.. I was wrong. It is by far one of the most insanely beautiful states I have ever been in. I am NEVER moving back to the midwest...lol. I am good with just visiting...:sneaky: and then coming back to Cali to get back to driving my happily modded cars:p.

Status
Not open for further replies.