Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

improved high speed performance with tunes?

my Fiesta is still stock however I feel the greatest need for improvement is at the higher speeds that I get on the highway. The cars acceleration at 80mph is pretty lack luster compared to what I am used to. at the higher speed torque becomes a non factor and the low HP really show through. is there any improvement in the sub 4k rpm acceleration at higher speeds with the stage 1 tune? what about stage 2.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
You're trying to gain acceleration from 80 mph for highway merging? That seems...excessive.

OP
MegaBuster
Thread Starter #3
where I live 80 mph is the speed of traffic. getting up to 80 quickly is important and there are also trucks that go only 55 so the need to accelerate from 60 mpg to 80 is more that I'm getting at. will the large torque increase below 4k make any difference at that speed at all? is the gains from stage 2 enough to make a difference there?

and furthermore what If I like to supercruise at 120 plus huh. what of it. the flow of traffic on my local highway can be up to 90 mph at times. I am not a speed demon that's just the speed traffic flows here

dyn085

2000 Post Club
'Supercruising' at 120+, huh? Chill out, it's not that big of a deal-I'm used to people trying to shroud 'because racecar' in all sorts of not-so-original ways. Acceleration is going to be 'lackluster' because the turbo is tiny.

You need to figure out what you're trying to ask. There's a difference between accelerating from 80 and accelerating to 80 from 60. If you're trying to get to 80 then you're not even getting out of third gear but if you're trying to accelerate from 80 then you should probably be in fourth. In sub-4k rpm's you probably don't want to be over third or fourth anyways simply due to the stress you're putting on everything. Either way, it's not a huge jump going from stage 1 to stage 2 (especially in the RPM range you seem to want improvement in), you're just keeping the power you would normally lose to heat-soak.

The TST FiST numbers, for gigles-

Stock- 189.8 hp/237 tq
Stage 1- 192.8/256.3
Stage 2- 210.6/272.2
[video=youtube;_fHRG8fINDs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fHRG8fINDs[/video]

Tl;dr-Downshift.

there is a very simple solution to your "need to get to 80mph faster" problem.

you bought a subcompact, small, efficient, fun, quick (not fast) quick car.

If you wanted more grunt to 80, the focus would have been wiser.

-Buy a bigger turbo
-Buy a down-pipe
-Buy a Access Port
-Or throw in a new engine
-Or have the heads ported

OP
MegaBuster
Thread Starter #7
I came out of a nearly 12 second miata. I am happy with my Fiesta and I know what I bought. I was inquiring mostly to the stage 2 crowd about how they feel the car has changed in the 60-80 mph range since thats where I do a great deal of my driving at the moment. I purchased the car for its light weight and agility not for the top end power. I just was interested in hearing from the tuned crowd what difference those 20hp made in that range

Pete

There is always the MP215 upgrade which I have. 6th gear accleration improved as well. But I noticed a huge change in the high speed accleration

[video=youtube;-196_RyZO_Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-196_RyZO_Y[/video]

[video=youtube;Ktb40fM_Jmg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktb40fM_Jmg[/video]

yea, I hear ya. that 60 to 80 range we don't have much grunt really. thats a tad disappointing honestly, but the low end up to about 60 is pretty gnarly.

I'm sure a tune would help slightly but at the expense of a warranty claim being nullified due to the mod, your call brother man.

You are at least downshifting when doing this right or are you just mashing in the pedal hoping it accelerates fast enough?

OP
MegaBuster
Thread Starter #11
Yes I downshift. Just used to having 240whp is all so its not as rapid as i would like but am still happier around town with the car thany miata

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
MegaBuster, I am in your neighbor hood very often.
I know the highway speeds can get up there.
I do however try only to do those speeds on the roads just a little west of you. [rolleyes]

Dave

pwnall1337

Vendor
Cobb Stage 3 + pro tune = fixed. I fly on the free ways and get to 80+ with out noticing and it hauls ass. This is coming from a previous 600 rwhp corvette z06 owner.

OP
MegaBuster
Thread Starter #16
I am going to do stage 2 with an e-tune. I don't like the idea of needing the AP to prevent a CEL from the downpipe. once the warranty is gone in a few years then I will do the downpipe. Just need to sell my Miata first