Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Installed intercooler, tightened clamps, still seeing only 23psi

Today I finished installing my whoosh v3 intercooler along with a stratified e30 tune.

The new aggressive throttle mapping makes the car feel faster but I’m a bit disappointed that I’m not seeing closer to 27lbs.

Anyone have any idea of what could be causing this? Are there any more common boost leaks that occur in our cars? It’s just shy of 7000 miles, brand new. I rather figure it out my self without buying a boost leak tester or paying a pro while waiting for the weather to clear up to test it.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How are you driving it when you are monitoring?

With the stock turbo I have observed that boost reduces pretty quick as RPM raises. I don't remember where I was seeing peak boost but it was probably 2000-3000 RPM.

OP
C
Thread Starter #5
How are you driving it when you are monitoring?

With the stock turbo I have observed that boost reduces pretty quick as RPM raises. I don't remember where I was seeing peak boost but it was probably 2000-3000 RPM.
Rolling into wot in second gear usually

PunkST

2000 Post Club
a few things are going on here.
1. The stock turbo cant keep ahead of the draw under wot and high rpm.
2. The larger intercooler does create a small pressure drop from one end to the other, larger chamber with the same air VOLUME pumped in creates less registered pressure
3. 27 psi is not good for a stock or hybrid turbo, and will shorten its life
4. These cars are tuned for a target torque number. Thanks to variables in weather and atmospheric pressure the amount of boost used changes. Just as long as it hits the target torque.

Erick_V

Boost leak, I regularly see my max boost at 27.x psi at pretty much sea level. If anything you could reload the map or drive on it for a couple more days to see if it compensates for the extra g/s of air your seeing

OP
C
Thread Starter #17
Boost leak, I regularly see my max boost at 27.x psi at pretty much sea level. If anything you could reload the map or drive on it for a couple more days to see if it compensates for the extra g/s of air your seeing
I had the same problem prior to the new tune and intercooler. Any idea where it would be other than the hot/cold side clamps? Car is under 10k miles

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Could be leaking past the factory bypass valve. They have a weak rubber diaphragm instead of a brass piston.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Best option is going the the gfb dv+. Lots of threads covering it.

This replaces the lower portion of the factory bypass valve with stronger components. There are also the plethora of vent to atmosphere BOV setups and some 50/50 and full recirculation ones.