Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Intake valve deposits (pictures)

All about that Nitro Plus baby! jk but really this is easy convincing to get a catch can.

25k seems really, with the amount of driving I currently do....I would be well over that in no time. Seeing this had me worried about buying this car because having to get the car walnut shell blasted after 25k takes this car outside of being cheap fun.
Not sure what you are getting quoted but I get walnut blasting up here for $225. Do it maybe 4 times over the life of the car for under $1000 is no big deal. Catch can won't stop all the blow bye anyway, it will just delay the inevitable.

Guys this is the bad thing about DI motors. OCC's work keeping the oily crud off but an ash like deposit still gets on there. We also discuss how to clean manually. Here are some links that a buddy of mine and myself did on the Focus. BTW it doesn't matter what kind of gas you run it never hits the valve so it matters not.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-maintenance/32284-valve-coking.html
http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...l-catch-can-vs-no-oil-catch-can-pictures.html

Not sure what you are getting quoted but I get walnut blasting up here for $225. Do it maybe 4 times over the life of the car for under $1000 is no big deal. Catch can won't stop all the blow bye anyway, it will just delay the inevitable.
I just hate that I have to do it regardless...but I guess this is the price to have DI without port injection assist.

Guys this is the bad thing about DI motors. OCC's work keeping the oily crud off but an ash like deposit still gets on there. We also discuss how to clean manually. Here are some links that a buddy of mine and myself did on the Focus. BTW it doesn't matter what kind of gas you run it never hits the valve so it matters not.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-maintenance/32284-valve-coking.html
http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...l-catch-can-vs-no-oil-catch-can-pictures.html
Thanks for sharing...as I don't believe in reinventing the wheel. There is tons of information on other forums that speak on this topic, that can be relied upon.

I'll still probably run an occ, but I also plan on running meth which should help even more. Anyone have an HSF-4 kit on their FiST?

dyn085

2000 Post Club
^ This, at best. I've seen a few BT FoST's on the FiST forums that tested this as well, one with and one without an OCC, and after 10k miles they looked identical. There have also been quite a few ST's (both FiST and FoST) that are running perfectly fine after 100k without any valve cleaning, though there are no dyno charts that I'm aware of showing possible performance loss.

Outside of restoring octane points, I have zero need/desire for an OCC in my life. Ymmv.

^ This, at best. I've seen a few BT FoST's on the FiST forums that tested this as well, one with and one without an OCC, and after 10k miles they looked identical. There have also been quite a few ST's (both FiST and FoST) that are running perfectly fine after 100k without any valve cleaning, though there are no dyno charts that I'm aware of showing possible performance loss.

Outside of restoring octane points, I have zero need/desire for an OCC in my life. Ymmv.
A comparison of two FoSTs (especially after only 10k) doesn't make for a very compelling argument. In the absence of more data points with info on confounding factors, it's hard to say an OCC will or won't reduce carbon build up on intake valves. But, in the face of uncertainty, I'd prefer to pay a small price up front just for the potential reduction.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
A comparison of two FoSTs (especially after only 10k) doesn't make for a very compelling argument. In the absence of more data points with info on confounding factors, it's hard to say an OCC will or won't reduce carbon build up on intake valves. But, in the face of uncertainty, I'd prefer to pay a small price up front just for the potential reduction.
True, but all comparisons have to start somewhere. You don't get to 50k immediately, and without updates along the way people will forget or lose their attention. 10k definitely isn't the best comparison, but it's definitely applicable and is still nearly a year's worth of driving for many.

I've seen plenty from the Audi/VW community to not care to waste my time with it. Obviously both sides of the OCC discussion tend to be pretty solidified in their position.

eieio

At least the intake valves are on the front of the car. When you have to do the walnut blast method (even if it is not approved, I think it is the best method) this will make it easier to do the procedure. The tools are available on line from Amazon and the vacuum attachment can be fabricated from an old radiator hose. You will need an air compressor and a shop vacuum. I have watched folks do the procedure on youtube and believe on a DIY scale of 1 to 5 (5 being very diffficult) I would say this is a 3.5. But I plan to install a OCC to keep as much oil from getting to the intake valves.

felopr

i wonder how mine would look since i added a catch can before at 1000 miles, i am at 34k

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
At least the intake valves are on the front of the car. When you have to do the walnut blast method (even if it is not approved, I think it is the best method) this will make it easier to do the procedure. The tools are available on line from Amazon and the vacuum attachment can be fabricated from an old radiator hose. You will need an air compressor and a shop vacuum. I have watched folks do the procedure on youtube and believe on a DIY scale of 1 to 5 (5 being very diffficult) I would say this is a 3.5. But I plan to install a OCC to keep as much oil from getting to the intake valves.
When I inquired about an intake valve cleaning service at the stealership, they looked at me kind of like your pet dog does when he does not understand a noise you are making or such. LOL
Mitch @ CP-E on here does this service at their shop in between Baltimore and Washington, and that's where I will go for it at the time it is needed. ;)

eieio

The intake manifold body is structured plastic and could be drilled for a brass o-ring sealed cap for a bore scope valve inspection access portal (with safety wires or something similar). JB Weld, oil resistant silicone adhesive sealants and 4 capped fittings that would allow a bore scope access to each set of valves. If the walnut blasting service did this modification to the intake manifold when the manifold is removed, you can monitor the carbon build up over mission driven miles and time and the OCC controversy could be put to rest. Of all the ecoboost valve accessibility and intake manifold designs, the 1.6 is probably the easiest to work with and probably has the easiest PCV design to prevent oil vapor re-introduction to the intake manifold. Talking like I know. But I would give the walnut blasting service $25 per port for the manifold service. If you're that deep might as well do the wild thing. They would definitely get my return business too. And you would know when the service would have to be done. Just saying....