Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Interior Plastic Ideas

So I've been thinking about ideas on a way to spice up the interior of my FiST. I'm not a fan of the cheap looking plastic surrounding the gear selector and climate controls, the plastic around the vents, radio, and LCD screen, the silver rings around the vents because they don't match anything else, and the door handles because the edges are sharp and annoying.

Initially I was thinking of wrapping in 3M Di-Noc but I don't want the final project to look tacky, and I fear that covering so much surface area with fake carbon will do just that. Also the wrap wouldn't help with my door handle issue.

The other option I was thinking is black flocking all those parts, which I think would look great but I don't have any experience doing it and is permanent so I can't afford to mess it up. Maybe I could apply flock on top of PlastiDip which would allow me to revert back to stock?

Has anyone else done anything similar to what I'm thinking to their interior? What do you guys think? Vinyl, Flock, mix of both?

I was wrapping the silver accents in my Fiesta SES with carbon fiber wrap before I got my ST.

It came out pretty decent and I was planning to do more, but the stupid chrome around the shifter kept cutting me and was being an asshole. I would totally go with a wrap/vinyl of some kind.
Either that, or you could get some ideas going and see about plastidip or painting interior pieces.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I had used 3M DiNoc on my 2011 Fiesta around the HVAC and shifter. The stuff is very thick and hard to conform to complex geometry.
2011 Ford Fiesta Cockpit by Bryan Redeker BRGT350, on Flickr

I am trying 3M 1080 on the ST interior. I have the top of the MFT screen done as a trial and it came out ok. The 1080 has more gloss to it, which I don't care for. It is easier to work with, but still sucks around tight corners. It is cheaper than DiNoc, which is good in case I decide to take it all off when I get sick of trying to get it right.

OP
I
Thread Starter #4
I had used 3M DiNoc on my 2011 Fiesta around the HVAC and shifter.
Thanks Brian, I've seen this before from you, and I think it looks great. My fear is that covering all the silver and the MFT hood in all carbon will just be too much. Im now also entertaining the idea of a blue vinyl to match the exterior paint instead of carbon.

BRGT350;63900 I am trying 3M 1080 on the ST interior. I have the top of the MFT screen done as a trial and it came out ok. The 1080 has more gloss to it said:
Do you have any pictures of your trials? What do you think about the Flock idea?

OP
I
Thread Starter #5
I was wrapping the silver accents in my Fiesta SES with carbon fiber wrap before I got my ST.

Either that, or you could get some ideas going and see about plastidip or painting interior pieces.
Yours looks good too, I really like the vent rings. I can't find a Dip colour that I really like for the interior.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Thanks Brian, I've seen this before from you, and I think it looks great. My fear is that covering all the silver and the MFT hood in all carbon will just be too much. Im now also entertaining the idea of a blue vinyl to match the exterior paint instead of carbon.

Do you have any pictures of your trials? What do you think about the Flock idea?
No pictures yet of the 1080 as it isn't fully done yet. I need to do some trimming. It is so cold this week that the stuff doesn't want to play nice. With the heat gun set on low, it gets really warm and then quickly cools when the heat is removed, so there isn't time to really work with it. If I do the interior trim, I will either wait until this spring or take the parts off and do them in my house. I am planning on doing the HVAC/shifter trim and radio/vent trim between the HVAC and MFT. With adhesion promoter, the HVAC trim shouldn't be too bad. I have done it a few times before on my 2011 getting it right, and the ST part has simpler geometry around the knobs. That with the adhesion promoter should help. The radio/vent trim is pretty flat in comparison to other parts.

I really like the flock idea for the large trim piece that goes from the MFT screen to the base on the windshield. It would look good and kill any glare. It is a win-win, except the cost is high.

As for colors, they make 1080 and DiNoc in a carbon fiber pattern with color. There is dark grey, silver, white, red, and blue. There might be more.

OP
I
Thread Starter #7
Ah no worries. Keep us posted, I look forward to seeing how yours turns out.

Thankfully I get to work on mine in the comfort of a heated car audio install bay at work. I'm going to be removing the interior plastics to wire an amp and sub, so want to wrap everything the same day to avoid stressing the clips more than once.

When I said I was considering colour I just meant regular glossy blue, not the carbon colours. Blue on the wheel chrome, vent rings, and around the centre vents & stereo controls, carbon around the climate knobs and gear shift.

The "hood" poses the biggest problem I guess, and I like flock for all the same reasons you list. I'm not sure it would be too expensive though if I do it myself. I found a kit for $35 from Lee Valley that I might buy as a test, and go from there.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
3M 1080 comes in regular colors and brushed metal as well. http://gpimmediacollections.3m.com/dmrweb/servlet/DmrWeb? Looks like there is one that is close to Performance Blue.

Here is the test part I did with the 1080 last weekend
3M 1080 Carbon Fiber Test Application by Bryan Redeker BRGT350, on Flickr

It still needs some touch-up and I might redo it in the spring.

The price you found on flock is really good! I found dash kits for $300 when I was thinking of doing the top of my Mustang's dash to cut down on glare.

I wonder how well that stuff holds up, I imagine some type of sealer is sprayed over it? Time to research...

This is awesome. Surely you'd need some sort of clear coat to seal it. I'd love to do a set of rims like that.
From what I've read, they sand blast your rim or do prep on whatever it is you choose, Then they do a base coat of whatever color you choose. From there it gets the dip. After the dip they do a clear coat to ensure everything is sealed away and protected.

Has anyone on here changed the regular plastic bezel around the HVAC and shifter to the Glossy black bezel found on the SE with the sport package? Ive wanted to do that to match the Sony bezel.

MPA

Here's an option that I'm thinking about trying. Kits are available for you to do this at home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKuXyeAGzEU
I had the radio surround of my C6 done in faux carbon fibre. It came out great, but the pattern warped a little bit due to the curves.

I had mine done in matte, and unfortunately do not have a picture of the console. Here's the one I saw that made me decide to try it out. I didn't go glossy because I thought I would leave fingerprints etc. I'd say this one came out a little better than mine