Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Intermittent starting (Crank no start)

So recently have an issue with intermittent starting. It would drive fine. I go to park and restart shortly after and the car would just crank with no start. Had it towed the first time and as I got home the car start right up of drove it off the tow truck (Smfh $375 later!). Up until now I can start it and drive but with out notice it will act up and not start! Right now there is no current codes so I’m kind of lost as where to start.(fuel, crank sensor) I was hoping to reach out to the community before I start the self diagnosing as time is very limited for me.

*I can remember back a few weeks ago I had the car stall on my as I got out to go into a store. But back then car started right up and I thought nothing of it.

Greatly appreciate any input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M
Thread Starter #3
due for a new one! 3yrs... that was one of the things I checked with my booster pack the night I got stuck ;(

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Did you actually take it out and load test it and charge it? When was the last time the key Fob batteries were replaced?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
M
Thread Starter #5
No ddnt load test it. Key fob was changed about a yr now

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Did you try the other key if you have one? Does it do anything at all when your trying to start it? Does the engine try to start/fire or is it nothing at all?

xxiaze

Starter teeth possibly broken in some places. Would be my guess... when to starter tries engaging it’s possible that it’s not making correct contact with the flywheel. Hence why it will start sometimes, but because it might be broken the more you do it the more you will sheer the cog. Do you live in a rust prone climate? As for it dying at the store, that could be your battery due to an alternator.. seems to me based off your symptoms you have multiple issues.

OP
M
Thread Starter #10
This is only after the engine is warmed up? Not on cold starts? Any mods?
I going to say yea after engine is warmed up! Cold starts for the most part are good. Mods e40 tune,BT, Aux fuel

OP
M
Thread Starter #11
Does it throw codes of any kind? I've seen similar issues in other cars with faulty Evap solenoids and such.
No codes! Someone mentioned evap. Is there more than one solenoids??

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I've been Running...1 step and 2 step colder plugs with no issues in starting it at all in Temps ranging from 90° to -20°. Fires up every single time* what i wanna know is what it does when he tries to start it....does it turn over/ fire or nothing at all or just click*

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
If I had to guess, as most of the above are, I would look at the crank sensor first.
The crank sensor is mostly only used for start up, one that is starting to go bad or intermittent, could be it.

OP
M
Thread Starter #18
I've been Running...1 step and 2 step colder plugs with no issues in starting it at all in Temps ranging from 90° to -20°. Fires up every single time* what i wanna know is what it does when he tries to start it....does it turn over/ fire or nothing at all or just click*

The engine turns over but no start....keeps cranks but won’t start