Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is it possible - B6 to MMT6 swap?

I know many of us hate first in our cars, tried to dig around a bit and apparently the B6 in our cars is a weaker derivative of the MMT6 available in the FoST/FoRS. Wondering if anyone has or knows of swaps done (besides the insane lad who swapped an entire FoST drivetrain in)? I know it wouldn't be worth the time to tear down and rebuild, but maybe 1st gear or the whole gear set can be swapped? Not a tranny expert (heh) and our shop manual shows nothing for bellhousing patterns.

Maybe I've been watching too much MCM lately lol.

I second this, it's really not bad idea, a lot of good can come from this. I've been juggling the idea myself in my head for awhile.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

OP
S
Thread Starter #5
What’s wrong with the first gear? Too tall? Too short?
I know it is a small car and rather puny engine, but getting up to 40+ driving "normally" is a bit of a hassle with first being so short.

I vote you Find a wrecked FoRS and take the Trans an try to fit in in the Case of a FiST trans.
We do have a used FoRS on the lot lol. Don't think they'll let me do that though lol. Wish I had the money to just buy used FoST and FiST transmissions and see if they are the same or similar...too many project cars that need $$$.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
I know it is a small car and rather puny engine, but getting up to 40+ driving "normally" is a bit of a hassle with first being so short.

We do have a used FoRS on the lot lol. Don't think they'll let me do that though lol. Wish I had the money to just buy used FoST and FiST transmissions and see if they are the same or similar...too many project cars that need $$$.
People go to lower ratios deliberately - the name of the game is acceleration, not top speed. Just work on your shifts...[emoji2957]

OP
S
Thread Starter #7
People go to lower ratios deliberately - the name of the game is acceleration, not top speed. Just work on your shifts...[emoji2957]
I agree completely, it just feels like 1st is too low sometimes. Even more so with more power. If gears could be swapped at least, it's an option for those who want it.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
I agree completely, it just feels like 1st is too low sometimes. Even more so with more power. If gears could be swapped at least, it's an option for those who want it.
The heart wants what it wants.... Maybe shift at redline then? That’d be badass, but probably too taxing in the end.

Fusion Works

The Focus Transmission is longer and bulkier than our transmission. This was part of the reason our transmission was used instead of just using the Focus Transmission. Frame rail clearance on our cars is narrower than the Focus.

The first gear is pretty close to the same as the Fiesta ratio. It seems the designers wanted to use a very short first for leverage and acceleration at low throttle angles and heavy vehicle loads. Think fully loaded with a tandem jet ski trailer sitting on a hill at a redlight with traffic behind you. This is a trait of all street car gear boxes, first gear ain't meant for road race speeds, but stoplight and parking lot driving. You can try to install it, but I don't think you get that much benefit for all the extra work.