Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is this crack ok?

I was pulling away from being parked and noticed a loud metallic banging sound coming from the rear. I suspected the brake dust shield had come in contact with the rotor (this can happen occasionally). However considering the car isnt even a year old and has around 13,500, AND the abruptness of the noise appearing I decided to pull over and take a gander.

I duck under the rear of the car and notice what appear to me to be cracks in the frame. (Circled in pictures)
I should note at this point I have observed the gap between the top of the dust shield and the rotor is larger than the gap at the bottom, on both sides of the car. So now I'm thinking "**** my frame bent which tilted the dust shield into the rotor."

I'm not too far from home so I drive at a reasonable pace home. I should mention that I tried my best to bend back the dust shield and it was no longer making the metallic contact noise.

Please PLEASE tell me my initial impression was wrong. I am taking the car in to the dealer anyway because it shouldn't be making noises anyway.
left rear frame.jpg right rear frame.jpg

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Looks like a parting line from forming during manufacturing. Imho .

OP
Pyinator
Thread Starter #4
After having a nights sleep on it I'm starting to see how it might actually be part of manufacturing. Again I'll get back when I have a word from the mechanic at the dealer saying "Yes this is how it is supposed to be." Thanks for the replies!

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
exact same line on mine. it's normal buddy. don't go to the dealer. they might actually break something lol

OP
Pyinator
Thread Starter #6
Sorry for waiting a few days but I finally got back from the dealer and it looks like its normal. It is a seam-weld, and just because it is open-ended it can be easily seen. It makes sense they wouldn't be able to weld the inside of a tube with a budget car. I took the wheel off an took a picture of what I could see, which was in fact a weld. Overall gave me quite a scare but good to know for sure its supposed to be like that.
seamweld.jpg