Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Isabella de la fiesta

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #301
Pictures of spark plus. What do you guys think? I see a ton of carbon but nothing too concerning

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #302
Cleaned the carbon off. Hopefully this helps with the knock I've been experiencing at very high revs.

Cleaned the carbon off. Hopefully this helps with the knock I've been experiencing at very high revs.

If it doesn’t I have a set of one step colder iridium ngk’s in the garage. I think they’re gapped to .027?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #305
Thermal is in. I am very impressed. Especially when I lines up their "ball joint" on the curve to muffler, fit extremely tight. The only complaint I have is on that bend they kind of crimped the pipe.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #306
Need to show us the business end of the spark plug if you want us to offer opinions on how they look. Threads and top end are meaningless. Need to see the electrode, ceramic tip and ground.
I realized my stupidity 5 mins after uploading it haha.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account

Is it primarily knock in cylinder 1? Curious if you have similar false knock issues to what I am seeing on my car.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #308
Nope. Exclusively cyl 2 and 3 lol. Most troubleshoot guides say that indicates a blown head gasket but I am not burning coolant at all. I'm not even burning oil. Which tells me the valve job was correct as well.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #309
So swapped out spark plugs with brand new 1 step cold gapped at .027 and my knocks gone. Guess 2 steps were too cold for right now. Going to try to get my downpipe finished so I can log a wot pull. Car still dies but runs better now. I'm thinking with this next revision though it'll be spot on. When I first started logging ltft on the first tune I was seeing the engine pull almost 25% of the fuel sometimes on cruising speeds. Now the max I see is 7% and as long as it's within +-5 I'd be comfortable with that.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #311
This is a picture of how the 2 step colder look before swapping to the one steps above.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
The 2 step colder plugs look fouled. I can't see how going from a fouled plug to one step hotter would cause overheating, so I'm thinking the whiteness of the ceramic is just the newness. After all, they start out white. I'm kind of wondering about the soot around the base of the body of the plug.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #314
Well I know I'm not burning oil or coolant, I checked after I pulled the plugs. It's just carbon but it shouldn't be doing that after 50 miles and no excessive idle... The afr is off and I feel like going colder made it better but it still is not where it needs to be. I can literally feel the car when it's having issues. At idle I feel like the cars flooding and at cruising highway speeds and wot it's way too lean. Especially over 80 it gets so bad that it won't accelerate past a certain point like it's starving.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #315
I say the afr is off but what I mean is I think the afr is off. I know stratified is doing their job but I wish I knew what was going on just for myself. I feel like so many misfires are going to hurt the engine.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Those plugs look fine but you should be sending these photos to your tuner. What fuel are you running?

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #317
Those plugs look fine but you should be sending these photos to your tuner. What fuel are you running?
Jdg I did contact my tuner and I'm currently running 93. I sent him a bunch of logs of just driving around and he sent me back a tune. I was just asking you guys to understand a little more about spark plugs. So Alex upped the idle to 1000 which completely fixed my stalling issue. He also messed with the fuel trims a bit more and it looks like he got it perfect. I went on a 30 Mile drive and still haven't had it change my ltft. It looks like we are almost ready to actually tune for power.

Jdg I did contact my tuner and I'm currently running 93. I sent him a bunch of logs of just driving around and he sent me back a tune. I was just asking you guys to understand a little more about spark plugs. So Alex upped the idle to 1000 which completely fixed my stalling issue. He also messed with the fuel trims a bit more and it looks like he got it perfect. I went on a 30 Mile drive and still haven't had it change my ltft. It looks like we are almost ready to actually tune for power.

Hell yeah bro. What did Alex say about which plugs to use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #320
He didn't say anything currently. He said it's odd the plugs are fouling at all and he says he can actually see that the plugs are fouled just by my logs. I will say though with this revision I made the same drive I did coming home today so I went all the way to work and back and only got 630 misfires both ways this time. So how many misfires do you guys get on average for a 30 min drive? I never looked at them until a few days ago when I started tracking it so I can't tell if it's always been that way or if its just happening since the new motor. I'm wondering if me fouling the plugs was related to too low of an idle?