Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Isabella de la fiesta

xxiaze

Link to air to water intercooler? Or is that something to retrofit? I also have BA intercooler, I don’t see anything about like 7-14 ambient. Then again I’m stock snail OTS 3 currently. Which whoosh intercooler performed better?

Link to air to water intercooler? Or is that something to retrofit? I also have BA intercooler, I don’t see anything about like 7-14 ambient. Then again I’m stock snail OTS 3 currently. Which whoosh intercooler performed better?
I’m on a 2860 Gen 2. I had the whoosh v3 before and during pulls it stayed within a few degrees of ambient. Switched to BA because I believed it would be better for when I got a bigger turbo.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Also, you guys know me better than that. I'm not just gonna bash a product just cuz it didn't own up to my expectations. And even then, the bravo alpha did meet my expectations. But after I realized how much boost I was gonna need to hit my goal, heat management is coming center stage. It's gonna be a real issue.

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk
Where are you going to put the pump for the charge air to water system??

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
What math are you doing? I can't see this statement being super accurate unless you are drag racing and want the benefit of adding ice to the water reservoir for the air-to-water intercooler. How much boost are you running? I would expect that turbo to be pretty efficient for a 1.6l engine.

Obviously I could also be very wrong as well :)
It definitely will 'work', but just be kind of impractical for street use (or even open track use).
Whenever I hear of an air to water heat exchanger for charge air temp lowering, I also immediately think about (LSx engined or otherwise) Pro Mods or 10.5 Outlaw DRAG racing only, with HUGE setups/piping/tanks intruding into, or completely housed in the interior spaces of the cabins of those single purpose cars. [wink]

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #505
Where are you going to put the pump for the charge air to water system??
Right after the radiator probably. It will be a tight fit. I'm still working out the kinks. Yes air to water is reserved for high hp builds.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #507
It's gonna be retrofit. But the aftermarket support is there and more than adequate. Currently looking at frozen boost

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
My Typhoon has a factory Air to liquid intercooler system. It has its goods and its bad things. You need room to have the intercooler..... heat exchanger and a pump for it. Pumps run all the TIME* They aren't too expensive and there are options for Flow output. It will be interesting to see the outcome if this happens. Why not go Meth injection instead? .So much less crap to install and similar effect. IMO

Last edited:

Erick_V

I feel like 70/30 meth would accomplish your goals without the obvious risk of fire. If you weren't running a lot of meth your tune shouldn't have to be changed, obviously consult your tuner on that one. A W2A setup would be a rad option but the packaging would be the largest hurdle. I personally couldn't imagine trying to fit even more stuff into the engine bay lol

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #510
Some progress. Torque is going up. Boost is kicking in sooner. Slight power bump. Still crazy to think, I make the same power as the stock car does at full tilt... at 4400 rpm and at only 16 psi of boost. Boost comes in at 1 atmosphere at 4100 now. It was 5k. 3rd revision.jpg

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #511
For anyone curious this has been the progression since starting on the base tune. Looks like I'm gaining 20-30HP per rev at the cost of 2psi extra of boost. So, without thinking of diminishing returns here. I predict at 36 PSI I should be making 673? No that can't be right.... I guess we will see.
first 3 revs.jpg

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #512
Revision 5, Hit a rock in the road mid pull and it kind of messed up the log. Smoothed it out to 6 and cleaned up the log and reposted on vdyno. pull 5.jpg

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #514
Yeah, I think that's why I was having trouble with 3rd. I have made a habit before I make a log now of warming up the tires a little bit cuz it helps a ton in addition to doing the logs in 4th. Adams been tuning this thing great. I'm very pleased.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #515
So I took the old block apart today. Really glad I didn't try to rebuild the motor, the blocks fucked. I cracked 2 cylinder walls and shattered 2 of my pistons ring lands. Remarkably, the head looks unphased.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So I took the old block apart today. Really glad I didn't try to rebuild the motor, the blocks fucked. I cracked 2 cylinder walls and shattered 2 of my pistons ring lands. Remarkably, the head looks unphased.

Which engine? Stocker?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Ford Community Posts