Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Issues with Sync3 and Carplay

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Ever since I've got the car I've had issues with Sync3 and Carplay. The two that I need help with is (1) Occasionally when I plug in my phone Carplay does not automatically launch, and I have no way to activate it. It works the next time I get in the car, but occasionally it just won't work. (2) Siri almost never works. Whenever I press the voice control button on the steering wheel, it makes the noise like it is listening, and then just ignores everything I say and goes back to its previous app. To make a call or text, I have to use my phone itself, which completely defeats the purpose. Any ideas?

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I have the same issue with Android auto I just turn the car off, and try again it normally works after the second time.
I can't speak for your second issue I hate Apple products and I don't talk to anybody on the phone.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Ever since I've got the car I've had issues with Sync3 and Carplay. The two that I need help with is (1) Occasionally when I plug in my phone Carplay does not automatically launch, and I have no way to activate it. It works the next time I get in the car, but occasionally it just won't work. (2) Siri almost never works. Whenever I press the voice control button on the steering wheel, it makes the noise like it is listening, and then just ignores everything I say and goes back to its previous app. To make a call or text, I have to use my phone itself, which completely defeats the purpose. Any ideas?
Make sure the phone IOS is fully updated, and make sure the sync3 firmware is fully updated. You also might try another lightning cable, I know I had issues when using a low quality third party cable. Cables from Anker are generally pretty good and ridiculously durable.

You also might need to do a full phone reset - if yours is one with a home button, hold the power button (top right) and the home button for ~20 seconds until the phone goes dark. If it's on ios 12 it won't shut off it'll just bring up the "swipe to shut down" screen. Do so, wait ~20 seconds then power back on.

Last edited:
OP
Hypergram

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
Make sure the phone IOS is fully updated, and make sure the sync3 firmware is fully updated. You also might try another lightning cable, I know I had issues when using a low quality third party cable. Cables from Anker are generally pretty good and ridiculously durable.

You also might need to do a full phone reset - if yours is one with a home button, hold the power button (top right) and the home button for ~20 seconds until the phone goes dark. If it's on ios 12 it won't shut off it'll just bring up the "swipe to shut down" screen. Do so, wait ~20 seconds then power back on.
I've done all of these things at one point or another I believe, but next time I'm in the car I'll check for an update, and the third party cables are really poor. They break in like a month...

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I have the same issue with Android auto I just turn the car off, and try again it normally works after the second time.
I can't speak for your second issue I hate Apple products and I don't talk to anybody on the phone.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
I stopped taking calls in the FiST when I got a 2j intake lol

I experience the same thing with CarPlay. Similar to FordST, I have to reboot the car to get Sync 3 to recognize my phone, LOL.

I’m a few weeks into my 19 and have had the no CarPlay thing happen a few times already. I shut car off at next light and open and close door to shut car down all the way. That has worked so far but is irritating. I’m going to be paying attention to when I plug phone in to when I start car or when sync is up and running to see if there is a sequence that is the cause.
I updated sync the first week due to the Waze speed issue, and my iPhone auto updates with latest iOS.

OP
Hypergram

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
I’m a few weeks into my 19 and have had the no CarPlay thing happen a few times already. I shut car off at next light and open and close door to shut car down all the way. That has worked so far but is irritating. I’m going to be paying attention to when I plug phone in to when I start car or when sync is up and running to see if there is a sequence that is the cause.
I updated sync the first week due to the Waze speed issue, and my iPhone auto updates with latest iOS.
Got the same issue. It's VERY irritating.

The new twist on mine (with the Sync/iOS/Carplay updates) is that restarting the car doesn't help anymore. Now I have to reboot my phone.

Ok. Had it happen again. This time shutting car down did not get it to reconnect. But, I swapped which USB port my lightning cable was attached to in the center console and it appeared that the first one was not even charging the phone. The second one charged the phone but did not connect CarPlay. I ran like that for about five minutes and swapped the USB ports again. This time it recognized the phone and opened CarPlay. I’ll keep trying to figure out if there is a consistent way to get CarPlay back but might be worth swapping USB ports if you have this happen to you and see what happens.

Ok. Had it happen again. This time shutting car down did not get it to reconnect. But, I swapped which USB port my lightning cable was attached to in the center console and it appeared that the first one was not even charging the phone. The second one charged the phone but did not connect CarPlay. I ran like that for about five minutes and swapped the USB ports again. This time it recognized the phone and opened CarPlay. I’ll keep trying to figure out if there is a consistent way to get CarPlay back but might be worth swapping USB ports if you have this happen to you and see what happens.
Are you using a third party lightning cable or Apple Lightning cable? I’ve had many third party cables fail after first working flawlessly. They slowly would have issues connecting and disconnecting with Sync 3. I finally had it with third part cables and just went back with the white Apple Lightning cable. Didn’t learned from the countless times cables started to fail and not connect. Just threw money away with all the different third party cables I’ve bought (n).

I am. I have a braided Anker cable. I will try to carry an Apple cable as well and see if I can swap and get it to connect if I have the issue again and test the Anker.

I've had a few weird issues on the 2018... like volume control inoperative for the radio, just wants to adjust phone volume. Even if I turn the phone off. Weirdest one is that WAZE shows very high MPH on the car display... works perfect when not connected to the car but 86mph actual speed shows over 100mph. Also, don't get in the car and start it up while on the phone... it's a mess.

I've had a few weird issues on the 2018... like volume control inoperative for the radio, just wants to adjust phone volume. Even if I turn the phone off. Weirdest one is that WAZE shows very high MPH on the car display... works perfect when not connected to the car but 86mph actual speed shows over 100mph. Also, don't get in the car and start it up while on the phone... it's a mess.
For WAZE you need to update sync. I was able to do that over WiFi although in my other post about it I do mention there is no real feedback that it updated other than it corrected the WAZE speed issue.