Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Jeff's new beater project, pt. 3

jeff

2000 Post Club
What's up Fiesta family,

I just accidentally acquired a 2003 Cooper S straight from the zombie apocalypse for $200. Yes, $200. Thought I'd share and get any intel you guys have.

First, a quick bit of story for context. You OG guys know I've been here 5 years and in addition to my Fiesta I always have one or two beaters in the driveway. Most recent builds are a '01 Insight and '01 Prelude. I have always respected Minis but never drove one and know nothing about them at all, except there is now one in my driveway.

Long story short, I've enjoyed my Prelude for a few years but decided to sell it and get something else to wrench on. I got top dollar for the Prelude which was amazing (bought $2900, enjoyed 18 months, sold today $4500). Now, the buyer drove here from another city, and told me he was going to buy my car, dump his car at the salvage yard, and head home. So, he gets to my house (this all just happened a few hours ago) in a Mini Cooper. The car is totally beat. But there is a gleam in my eye....hmmmmmmm. It did make it 100 miles from his town to mine. He says the salvage yard offered $350 over the phone. I do a 2 minute test drive, I offer him $200, he takes it, he drives away with my car and title and I now have a Mini in my driveway, with a clean title to boot.

Lots of questions, but it seems this is just someone who's done with one car and ready to wash his hands.

So, I have a Mini Cooper S. Could call the junkyard who will undoubtedly give me $200 or more for it. But maybe it can be restored. Here is a list of the good and bad. Keep in mind this all happened fast, I will learn much more about it when I take a look this weekend and drive it more.

THE GOOD
It has 76,000 miles
It is black
It is a 6 speed
It was $200
It has pretty good Yoko S Drives all around
When driving it it pulled hard revved easy
It was $200
It came with a stack of receipts for about $5000 of work in the last few years

THE BAD
Somebody punched the hood pretty hard
It has rust (Maryland)
It has some peeling paint
It is filthy, and I mean filthy
He said the wipers didn't work
The seal between the windshield and roof is gone (leaking bad)
Interior smells due to leak mentioned above
The passenger window doesn't go down
The glove box latch is broken
There is a coolant leak, owners said he thinks it's the reservoir (it obviously had coolant all over the exterior)
CEL is on
SRS light is on

I will surely discover many other issues with this car...but the point is it runs well enough for now.

I am pretty good at detailing (see pics, I already washed and waxed the rear hatch and rear driver 1/4 panel just for fun before dark) and can clean up the interior somewhat. I can clean up the paint, headlights, wheels, engine bay. I can change the fluids and plugs and filters and cheap easy stuff.

The question is, having mentioned the issues above I'm aware of so far, do I:

A - Clean/fluids/wax and sell as is for ?$1000? or so, not dealing with any of the pricy issues...
or
B - Spend some real money and make something out of this car?

So, what do I do with this car? I know zero about Minis and this one is a ZFG edition so it could be beyond hope. Keep in mind this all happened very fast...I didn't have time for a proper inspection and he didn't have time for me to do it. Minis are known for breaking every other day and horrible reliability. But for $200 I said what the heck I can't lose.

A few pics:

Hard to believe that's nearly 20 years old. They really haven't changed much with the modern Mini in all that time.

For $200, I'd definitely take a go at it.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
That does NOT look 1/1000th as bad as your written description, nor anywhere near as bad as paying only $200.00 for it would indicate (regardless of what other horrors may lie underneath it, and it's power/drive train). [wink] [thumb]

I also know ZERO about Minis, that one is supercharged, correct (I have NO IDEA of when they switched to turbo forced induction, or if it was just for much later 'special edition' S models)??

Last edited:
Oooof for $200... I would’ve bought it too. I’ve heard my fair share of horror stories with mini coopers but It was to do with the transmission (automatic). You’ve got a manual, so you’re already safe there. I’d just do minimal repairs/work to it, enjoy it while it lasts and then do whatever your heart desires.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
This ain't your first rodeo. For what you've go in it, I think you'll get something worthwhile out of it with a little cash and a lot of elbow grease.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Many seem to think that they are more than decent performing cars, when they are running properly, WHEN being the proverbial 'operative' word here. [wink]

That's a steel. I've always had a soft spot and love for those Mini Cooper S. I agree that actually doesn't look as bad as when I was reading your description. That's a great little project.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
^^^Many seem to think that they are more than decent performing cars, when they are running properly, WHEN being the proverbial 'operative' word here. [wink]
I have a neighbor whose mini was always on jack stands. I think he sold it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Motor Trend did a long term review and they liked it a lot. https://www.motortrend.com/cars/mini/cooper/2003/2003-mini-cooper-s-2-2/

This car has low miles for its age. That's a plus. The engine is probably fine.

With these types of cars, it's the little things that cost more than you'd expect. Jeff will certainly be joining a forum and getting the inside scoop.

Just like here. BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR!!! :p

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Your last two projects went well and I believe you made a profit on both.
I would definitely give it a try.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Your last two projects went well and I believe you made a profit on both.
I would definitely give it a try.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Yeah, I can't see you losing anything here at that price. You could just part it out right now and make a bundle.
It's a neat car, and it's worth a go.

It's supercharged!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnjr-EYQPLA

Last edited:

Erick_V

When I saw you got it for $200 I expected a lot worse lol. I would have impulsively snagged it too. I'd drive it till it dies then part it out, for that price you don't have much to lose. Interested where you go with this one (y)

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Jeff....It needs a union jack on the Roof ASAP or its not a true Mini! I always say..Anything that runs and drives down the road safely is at least a grand*[driving]

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Good thing about it is that the engine on the Supercharged version is much stronger than the later turbo engines.
Is that because they went to an aluminum ALLOY block for the turbo versions (vs. the iron block on the earlier huffer ones), or some other reason (i.e.; less built/forged parts in the bottom end, etc.)

Woods247

2000 Post Club
I kinda want one of these cars too. I have a couple of buddies that have built gorgeous examples. One is a fully caged track car and the other is a track capable show car. The latter is the first vehicle I sat in with a Coolerworx shifter.. I fell in love with it. I absolutely love the lines of these older Minis. For the price @jeff paid, I would build a similar track/show toy like my friend's. They are really cool cars with a lot of aesthetic potential. I was warned to keep the drivetrain stock, however.