Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Jerking after installing my Cobb AP

OP
M
Thread Starter #21
Yeah, I definitely don't think this is just the inadequate RMM, I'm talking just about normal driving conditions shifting around 3k. I feek like if I push the accelerator in quicker than I normally would after shifting sometimes this helps it.

I have been working with Braden from Cobb on another thread about this very issue. I'm glad others are reporting the same problem because now I know it's not just me or my car.
I emailed Cobb about the rev hang a few weeks ago asking if they could eliminate it. Their response was:

"Rev-hang has been disabled on all Ford OTS maps as best we can for the moment. It is better than stock. However, it is still going to do it a little. There are other things in the ECU that are making it do that."

I'm hoping they can further eliminate this in future maps. FWIW I did notice the hang on the stock maps too. I even commented on it to the salesman during the test drive, and how it made the car awkward to drive smoothly. I tried another FiST just to verify "they all do that".

51t

I sent Cobb Tuning a PM with the data logs. Not expecting anything till after the July 4th weekend.

I sent Cobb Tuning a PM with the data logs. Not expecting anything till after the July 4th weekend.
I look forward to seeing their response. I experience the rev-hang and slight jerking as well after installing the AP on my FiST when it was stock. Stage 1 91 & 93 maps as well as Stage 0 all do it. Uninstall the AP and the rev-hang goes away.

I have since installed COBB's RMM and this did not remedy the issue. You have to drag the clutch out slower than normal to avoid the slight jerk caused by the rev-hang.

I LOVE my AP so hopefully COBB will fix this soon!

iso100

1000 Post Club
Same experience here. The jerking is from the RPM being higher than expected for the driving conditions. My "fix" has been to shift slow as molasses.

OP
M
Thread Starter #26
I look forward to seeing their response. I experience the rev-hang and slight jerking as well after installing the AP on my FiST when it was stock. Stage 1 91 & 93 maps as well as Stage 0 all do it. Uninstall the AP and the rev-hang goes away.

I have since installed COBB's RMM and this did not remedy the issue. You have to drag the clutch out slower than normal to avoid the slight jerk caused by the rev-hang.

I LOVE my AP so hopefully COBB will fix this soon!
Yep, I've found that letting out the clutch slower does remedy it most of the time, but it not always practical to do that

I'll have Braden, our lead Ford calibrator take a look at this thread and the logs on Monday!

Ian

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thanks Ian, we truly appreciate it! It's literally the only downside I can see so far with the AP.

For anyone having this particular issue please download and install one of these maps and let us know if the behavior ceases.

View attachment Stage1 91 v103 WSA.ptm
View attachment Stage1 93 v103 WSA.ptm

These maps are identical to the standard v103 but the OEM settings have been restored for the "Shift Assist" feature.

Logs would also be appreciated if time permits!

Cheers,
-Braden @ COBB

iso100

1000 Post Club
Wish I could help you test right now Braden since I was one of the first to complain. Sadly Ford has my car troubleshooting "ring and pinion" noise right now.

Thanks for going above and beyond working on a Sunday to help address our concerns. I'm glad I chose Cobb!

For anyone having this particular issue please download and install one of these maps and let us know if the behavior ceases.

View attachment 1403
View attachment 1404

These maps are identical to the standard v103 but the OEM settings have been restored for the "Shift Assist" feature.

Logs would also be appreciated if time permits!

Cheers,
-Braden @ COBB
You guys rock! I added those maps to my AP. Will install and test them in the morning. Thanks for going above and beyond on a Sunday! I will be a Cobb customer for a long time!

51t

Loaded it up and sent a data log to Cobb. It act just like the v103 Stage 0. The initial rpm drop is much faster than the v103 Stage 1.

I drove along at 3,000 rpm in 3rd gear. Released the gas while engaging the clutch. The numbers are averaged over doing it 4 times for each map.

On average the v103 91 Stage 1 drops ~84 i the first .25 seconds. Drops 285 at .5 seconds.
On average the v103 91 Stage 1 WSA drops ~203 in the first .25 seconds. Drops 460 at .5 seconds.
On average the v103 Stage 0 drops ~185 in the first .25 seconds. Drops 445 at .5 seconds.

I also noticed that if you leave the clutch in the rpm drop slows down after about 800 rpm's. This has nothing to do with the hanging rpm's but just something I noticed. It happens no matter the map.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Does that mean it's fixed with the new maps? And if anybody can do v103 93 Stage 1, I'd appreciate it!

Loaded the 93 tune before leaving for work this morning. The rev-hang is now gone. RPMs drop like they should and the jerking is gone. Huge thanks for throwing up a fix so fast!

iso100

1000 Post Club
Loaded the 93 tune before leaving for work this morning. The rev-hang is now gone. RPMs drop like they should and the jerking is gone. Huge thanks for throwing up a fix so fast!
YYYESSSSSS!

Thank you Braden! I can't wait to get my car back from the dealer now! Waah.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Yesss!! Can't wait to download this and upload it. Thank you Cobb for all this.

This is why I'm waiting for their intake. Customer service like this is hard to come by nowadays and with this fix, plus everything else they have done for us, I will gladly wait for the intake.

I just have a quick question to Cobb; what if I wasn't a part of this forum and didn't see this update? I don't see you guys posting any tweets or anything on Facebook about these changes, unless I'm missing them of course. I'm just speaking for those people who might not be on this forum but have the same problem. Will you be changing/updating the maps on your site as well, to reflect this change?

Yesss!! Can't wait to download this and upload it. Thank you Cobb for all this.

This is why I'm waiting for their intake. Customer service like this is hard to come by nowadays and with this fix, plus everything else they have done for us, I will gladly wait for the intake.

I just have a quick question to Cobb; what if I wasn't a part of this forum and didn't see this update? I don't see you guys posting any tweets or anything on Facebook about these changes, unless I'm missing them of course. I'm just speaking for those people who might not be on this forum but have the same problem. Will you be changing/updating the maps on your site as well, to reflect this change?
In situations like this we will continue to look for feedback on not only the Stage1 customers but also some of the Stage2 and Stage3 people as well. This change has been in all of our release maps since v100 and you guys were the quickest to provide a description and data of the perceived problem. That perception turns into reality quickly when data logs are provided and confirms the issue. Upon further analysis of the code that is responsible for the "hang" it appears that the result of the tests performed against the hang timer are stored as a bool flag (true/false) and when true allows for a selection of either a minimum or maximum target RPM. In the case of the Fiesta ST, the vehicle targets a minimum speed, however on the Focus ST it targets a maximum speed. So it's a miscue on our part as the previous pass through the logic appeared to be identical to the Focus ST where the hang had been removed by setting these values to 0.

If the feedback continues in a positive fashion for all of our calibrations, I will make this change permanently to all OTS maps and you'll see updated versions in the next firmware update. My apologies for introducing an issue that had diminished your driving experience!

Cheers,
-Braden @ COBB