Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Kaur Motorsport 4WD Fiesta Prototype

eq5

Hello everyone,

Although I am on the other side of the globe, I found my way here through some searches concerning 1.6 Ecoboost engine builds. Long story short, I am now posting our rallycar build here. The team we are operating is named Kaur Motorsport.

As to this date, the car is only using the engine and the body from ST180- I apologize if that is not enough of ST180 parts to qualify to this forum(or for your personal taste). But it seemed to me it is the best place to find likely-minded people where 1.6 Ecoboost is involved and I could also accumulate more knowledge myself through some discussions.

I will start with the body and what has been done:

1. Completely stripping the body and removing unnecessary components.
2. Modifications to the body to install R5 bodykit and custom suspension. Container for homologated ATL fuel tank.
3. Installing a TIG-welded CrMo rollcage kit with FIA approved homologation. Custom steering column attachments to move seating position towards the rear of the car.
4. New tunnel to accommodate the propshaft.
5. Mounting points for custom subframes, engine and transmission.
6. A lot of smaller modifications.
7. Glass blasting.
8. Paintwork.

In every area we were working on, the keyword has been weight. Haven't done it yet, but I am even now thinking of lighter nuts and bolts. The idea of the car is to get the same level of performance as an R5 rallycar, but at half the cost.

Feel free to throw any questions at me. Will post about the engine and transmission next, with the engine being particularly a roller-coaster ride so far and still a development in progress.

20190418_153405.jpg 20190411_140616.jpg 20190411_140550.jpg 20190425_120957.jpg 20190503_160019.jpg 20190503_160026.jpg 20190503_160031.jpg 20190614_131439.jpg 20190614_131450.jpg

That's great, I need one of those!!! Too bad you couldn't make some of the sheetmetal like fender liners out of aluminium alloy bonded/riveted instead of steel. Or carbon roof. Being in motorcycle racing for over 20 years, I get the hardware tactics, especially for unsprung weight, weight on the nose, or weight up high. I've hollow drilled a LOT of titanium hardware on the lathe. Seems like most bang for the buck would be caliper bolts, wheel studs, suspension bolts... they make some low cost alternatives for circle track racing such as interesting looking bolts made from threaded tubular chrome moly steel, heat treated... might be a consideration for large hardware for engine compartment, not sure about suspension for a rally car. Also move as much equipment as you can further towards the center and down low, everything on the car evaluated for lower position and more towards the center... great stuff.

OP
eq5

eq5

Thread Starter #3
That's great, I need one of those!!! Too bad you couldn't make some of the sheetmetal like fender liners out of aluminium alloy bonded/riveted instead of steel. Or carbon roof. Being in motorcycle racing for over 20 years, I get the hardware tactics, especially for unsprung weight, weight on the nose, or weight up high. I've hollow drilled a LOT of titanium hardware on the lathe. Seems like most bang for the buck would be caliper bolts, wheel studs, suspension bolts... they make some low cost alternatives for circle track racing such as interesting looking bolts made from threaded tubular chrome moly steel, heat treated... might be a consideration for large hardware for engine compartment, not sure about suspension for a rally car. Also move as much equipment as you can further towards the center and down low, everything on the car evaluated for lower position and more towards the center... great stuff.
Replacing some steel with aluminium is a good thought, but as we mostly run on gravel, for body components we need to make sure we still have proper seal against dust and proper protection against wear. Same goes for load bearing bolts and nuts, we need to think of reliability as a similar priority, the gravel surface creates some massive dynamic stresses on different components. 180 kmh between trees, you really don't want suspension bolts to fail. But tubular chrome moly bolts are a good idea in some other areas, something I will surely look into, thanks!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
This is TOO COOL!! [twothumb] [coolsmile]

Since the R5 class was formed to be a more 'cost friendly' class (than an all-out factory works WRC car, IF the teams would even sell you one for ANY price!) for less 'filthy-rich' privateers to begin with, IF you can do the same at HALF the co$t, that would be phenomenal!!

As to the use of carbon fiber on body panels, the FIA requires a steel roof, and hood, on even the actual top level WRC class cars, so I am sure that those panels in carbon fiber are also verboten on the R5 class cars. [wink]

I like the Mk7 WRC wing you are using better than the specced R5 wing (if I were lucky/wealthy enough to be able to campaign an R5 here in the states, like Barry McKenna has/does as a 'backup car' to his national rally level, 2.0 liter Focus WRC engined, Fiesta S2000 car, I would also put that wing on it [wink]).

The workmanship looks exceptional on this built, PLEASE continue with updates!!!!

Are you going to use Speedline Corse 2118 wheels, Braid Acropolis', or the M-Sport OZeds on this monster??

Very cool. Excuse my n00b, but is running the 1.6 ecoboost a need or a want? I thought most people were running 4g63s.

Very cool build, I'm excited to see more updates :)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Very cool. Excuse my n00b, but is running the 1.6 ecoboost a need or a want? I thought most people were running 4g63s.

There is only one crew running an R5 based Fiesta 'Proto' (but with that better, upgraded Mk7 WRC wing as well) with that engine in it here in the U.S. (Piotr Fetela's team), and he bought it that way from someone in Poland, so yes, it could be a somewhat popular 'swap' over there in eastern Europe/western Asia.

The FIA dictates that one MUST use an original road car block from the given base model car, 1.6 liter max, engine in their R5, and actual WRC class cars, but the various sanctioning bodies' National level rules could be different, allowing 2 liter engines currently (yes, with varying turbo inlet restrictor sizes as well), like ours (the ARA) do for the Open class AWD cars.

Last edited:
OP
eq5

eq5

Thread Starter #7

Going back 2 years, we actually built two Prototype-s with 4G63. There are basically 3 reasons, why we chose 1.6 Ecoboost for this latest build:

1) Weight- together with body modifications, we have achieved R5 minimum weight of 1230kg. This is not possible with 4G63.
2) Turbo restrictor- we must use a 34mm turbo restrictor and there is only so much air you can push through it. The 2-litre 4G63 runs out of air much earlier and although Ecoboost having the peak power number slightly lower, the average hp through the usable powerband is actually same or even higher. So together with the first reason we are not giving away engine performance, but we are winning on weight. Engine is important for accelerations, weight is important for everything(acc, brake, cornering).
3) Modern solutions and new engines' availability- 4G63 is a bit dated, Ecoboost uses newer solutions. But having now spent more time in the Ecoboost world, I actually expected this to be higher up in the "reasons" list. Getting some parts for the Ecoboost is a real pain, you can't even order engine main bearings from the Ford dealer. And the stock engine block itself is quite weak and not from the best aluminium.

OP
eq5

eq5

Thread Starter #8
This is TOO COOL!! [twothumb] [coolsmile]

Since the R5 class was formed to be a more 'cost friendly' class (than an all-out factory works WRC car, IF the teams would even sell you one for ANY price!) for less 'filthy-rich' privateers to begin with, IF you can do the same at HALF the co$t, that would be phenomenal!!

As to the use of carbon fiber on body panels, the FIA requires a steel roof, and hood, on even the actual top level WRC class cars, so I am sure that those panels in carbon fiber are also verboten on the R5 class cars. [wink]

I like the Mk7 WRC wing you are using better than the specced R5 wing (if I were lucky/wealthy enough to be able to campaign an R5 here in the states, like Barry McKenna has/does as a 'backup car' to his national rally level, 2.0 liter Focus WRC engined, Fiesta S2000 car, I would also put that wing on it [wink]).

The workmanship looks exceptional on this built, PLEASE continue with updates!!!!

Are you going to use Speedline Corse 2118 wheels, Braid Acropolis', or the M-Sport OZeds on this monster??
What do the regulations require over there, for McKenna's class for example? Same make engine, some size turbo restrictor, minimum weight limit?

With wheels we went the cost effective way- due to many Subies and Evo-s out there, 5x114.3 wheels are widely available. So we are using OZ wheels originally made for Evo9.

OP
eq5

eq5

Thread Starter #11
The engine saga, starting from spring 2019 and still in progress.

So to begin with, the hardware that is (most likely) here to stay in one form or the other:

- Custom made turbo from Turbo Technics with 34mm restrictor and electrical WG. Spools so quickly that we do not use anti-lag, which in return should also increase the lifespan of the turbo once we stop flowing rod bearing particles through it (ok ok, the particles should not reach it, but its the hot stop that is killing it).
- tubular manifold
- 3" exhaust all the way, sounds like a less powerful WRC
- port injection kit
- Titan 2-stage dry sump kit
- Powertrain Racing clutch
- custom flywheel to match the gearbox + ARP bolts
- SBD/WOSP 95A race alternator
- Sytec dump valve
- Davis Craig electrical water pump
- bunch of billet blanking plates
- ARP head studs, OC main studs
- MBE 9A6 ECU, Ecumaster ADU5 Dash, 2x Ecumaster PMU16, full milspec wiring
- custom radiator and custom IC with Setrab core fitted side-by-side, 2x Spal fans,
- Setrab oil rad
- loads of extra sensors
- loads of AN6 to AN12 hoses and tubes
- Bosch 040 fuel pump and 6-bar fuel filter for returnless fuel supply
- probably some other stuff I forgot

20190221_180514.jpg 20190307_170748.jpg 3d Scan 1.6 ecoboost.jpg 20190307_171116.jpg 20190321_141548.jpg 20190403_110136.jpg 20190307_094136.jpg 20190911_113642.jpg 20190911_113819.jpg 20190709_154451.jpg
20190710_002745.jpg

Version 1:

- bought a brand new complete engine from Pumaspeed (if someone needs some stock items, I still have those, turbo, clutch, flywheel etc)
- ran a "safe" map with 1.6 bar of peak boost, giving approx 280 hp/330 ft-lb
- pushed it for 350 competitive km-s
- Polo R5 with Oliver Solberg at the wheel was not far away, but we wanted to get closer, so we opened it up to go for forged internals and give it 2 bars of boost. We also wanted to check the liners, as the internet searches suggested some common problems with liners could take place at higher cylinder pressures
- photos attached, liners indeed had deformed towards each other and a piece of the top aluminium ring had broken off. Hence opening it up was good decision

received_954657358037956.jpeg received_2430903007226399.jpeg

Version 2:

- ordered the bulletproof built-up short block from Pumaspeed. According to their homepage a "all the abuse you can give it" type of a block. Ductile sleeves, PEC rods, Wiseco oversize(+1mm) pistons. From the looks of it, sleeving and machine work was done very well
- break-in and dyno. Very good results, approx 310 hp/360 ft-lb
- ran 5 km in a test and a hole appeared on the side of the block. Some photos are attached, on one of them guys in the garage are holding a wooden bottle opener in the background for hole sizing reference, also giving an idea of the mood that we had when this happened.

20191009_135432.jpg 20191014_123339.jpg received_1453563088132134.jpeg
20191014_123316.jpg

- we did a thourough analyzis what could have caused this. We arrived at rod bearing clearance which was much smaller than Pumaspeed claimed it to be. With 2 bars of boost and our 4WD transmission giving a lot of load, tight clearances are not a safe way to go. This is when we also learned Ford's oil pump gives a constant oil pressure of 40 psi, even at 7000+ RPM. With older engines the rule of thumb has been 10 psi per 1000 RPM, so oil pressure is also not a supporting factor here. Also another factor in play concerning bearing load is the piston and rod weight. The piston+rod assembly is approx 20% heavier per cylinder compared to OEM. Have it rotating at 7000 RPM and you get significantly higher loads on the bearings.
20191105_113442.jpg
- in addition to the whole block being a pile of scrap, the head got hit, sump got hit, Titan pump is done, oil pump is done, oil cooler needs changing and turbo needed a rebuild. A nice pile of money out of the window right there....
20191016_181704.jpg 20191016_151716.jpg 20191016_151706.jpg
- block has also now been sent back to Pumaspeed for inspection and I am waiting for their take on it. Will post any updates when they come.

Version 3 is the one we are working on this very moment and it will be coming in the next post.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
What do the regulations require over there, for McKenna's class for example? Same make engine, some size turbo restrictor, minimum weight limit?

With wheels we went the cost effective way- due to many Subies and Evo-s out there, 5x114.3 wheels are widely available. So we are using OZ wheels originally made for Evo9.
The Open AWD ARA regs also call for a 34mm inlet restrictor @ 32PSI, with a (ballasted if necessary) 2900 POUND minimum weight, but they allow for up to a 2.6 liter [crazyeye] displacement at these restrictions, so McKenna has a bunch of leeway even running that old Focus WRC sourced 2.0 in that S2000 chassis/X-Trac drive train, Fiesta he uses on the full National grade rallies.

The ARA rules do stipulate that whenever there is a conflict between FIA WRC/R5 rules and theirs, that a competitor could get approval to run those strict FIA reg meeting cars with a 45 day ahead of the event, pre-approval, for whatever that's worth. [wink]

I am trying to find out exactly WHAT PCD the actual M-Sport built R5/WRC cars run, but have not been able to so far.
I thought it was a 5x120, but all of the prep shops here are telling me that it is the Focus/FoST 5x108, which i find hard to believe, given how few real rally (gravel OR tarmac) options there are in that bolt pattern. [???:)]

OP
eq5

eq5

Thread Starter #14
The Open AWD ARA regs also call for a 34mm inlet restrictor @ 32PSI, with a (ballasted if necessary) 2900 POUND minimum weight, but they allow for up to a 2.6 liter [crazyeye] displacement at these restrictions, so McKenna has a bunch of leeway even running that old Focus WRC sourced 2.0 in that S2000 chassis/X-Trac drive train, Fiesta he uses on the full National grade rallies.

The ARA rules do stipulate that whenever there is a conflict between FIA WRC/R5 rules and theirs, that a competitor could get approval to run those strict FIA reg meeting cars with a 45 day ahead of the event, pre-approval, for whatever that's worth. [wink]

I am trying to find out exactly WHAT PCD the actual M-Sport built R5/WRC cars run, but have not been able to so far.
I thought it was a 5x120, but all of the prep shops here are telling me that it is the Focus/FoST 5x108, which i find hard to believe, given how few real rally (gravel OR tarmac) options there are in that bolt pattern. [???:)]
Over here engine displacement is connected to weight. Lower displacement allows for a lighter minimum weight. If I would compete with my car over there, I would probably add a steel tunnel guard to reach the allowed minimum weight of 2900- weight is kept as low as possible and as middle as possible.

We had an R5 in our garage for some time, the wheels are 5x135. The center bore is 100mm already, so this is pretty much the smallest PCD you can drill on it for the aluminium nuts they are using.

20190627_102810.jpg

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The rules for our Open and Limited 2WD classes work that way, i.e.; lower displacement boosted engine cars can run MUCH lower weight limits.

One could potentially run a 1950 lb. FiST in OPEN Class 2WD (which allows sequential gearboxes as well), and a 2300 lb. FiST in Limited Class 2WD (which is much more restrictive on mods/demands factory gearboxes be used, etc., think the old Group N FIA class ) IF one could get a fully prepped one, with all of the requisite safety equipment/etc. to be THAT feather weight! [wink]

The naturally aspirated AWD weight limits DO go up even further yet for the larger displacement competitors, up to a 3200 lb. minimum for the 4.5 liter and up rides, but I have yet to see anything like this out on the stages.

OP
eq5

eq5

Thread Starter #16
The rules for our Open and Limited 2WD classes work that way, i.e.; lower displacement boosted engine cars can run MUCH lower weight limits.

One could potentially run a 1950 lb. FiST in OPEN Class 2WD (which allows sequential gearboxes as well), and a 2300 lb. FiST in Limited Class 2WD (which is much more restrictive on mods/demands factory gearboxes be used, etc., think the old Group N FIA class ) IF one could get a fully prepped one, with all of the requisite safety equipment/etc. to be THAT feather weight! [wink]

The naturally aspirated AWD weight limits DO go up even further yet for the larger displacement competitors, up to a 3200 lb. minimum for the 4.5 liter and up rides, but I have yet to see anything like this out on the stages.
Just to be sure I understand correctly- the Subies that Higgins and Solberg drove, they both are 4WD Open class cars and must be over 2900 pounds? Doesn't matter if it is 1.6L or 2.6L turbocharged engine on it, just needs to run the 34mm restrictor?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Just to be sure I understand correctly- the Subies that Higgins and Solberg drove, they both are 4WD Open class cars and must be over 2900 pounds? Doesn't matter if it is 1.6L or 2.6L turbocharged engine on it, just needs to run the 34mm restrictor?
CORRECT, and I believe that they are using the 'good'/strong 2 liter Scoobie block in those cars, but I forgot which EJ engine code that one is.

OP
eq5

eq5

Thread Starter #19
What's your thoughts on this Cylinder Block? The Mountune MRX says they've integrated a cylinder support system which may solve your problem?

https://www.mountuneusa.com/mountune-MRX-1-6L-EcoBoost-Short-Block-Engine-p/6064-sb-160a.htm
I asked Mountune for more information, specifically concerning the factory groove/slot that is still present even after the support system is fitted. Quoting their reply: "We do not think removing the slot is a good idea as there needs to a passage for coolant. Perhaps there was also a lot of heat? Overall the deck support we install does improve overall rigidity so it may help with the slot distortion. Perhaps adding a small wedge in the center of the slot would help with you issue."

Personally, after having thrown a bunch of money at my previous engine, I really am looking only for as "sure bulletproof thing" as one can find. Words from Mountune as "may help" and "perhaps" do not raise my confidence for going for the purchase right here and now, also the fact that they are not really aware that this groove distortion is one of the main reasons for engine failures on stock engines.

As I also understand, cylinder wall cracks are not uncommon- do you know the reasons for this and does this support system solve this? Or is a new ductile sleeve actually also necessary to avoid this issue from happening? Pumaspeed for example does think it is necessary to avoid the liners from warping and cracking: http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/product-Pumaspeed-Bulletproof-16-EcoBoost-Engine-Block_17863.jsp

In additon, got the piston and rod weights for the MRX block: piston with pin is 365g, rod is 462g. The ones I use: piston with pin is 327g and rod is 416g. Piston+rod assembly difference is 84g or approx 11% more than mine. Not as big as with Wössner piston + PEC rod combination. Logic dictates that extra weight is a contributing factor for avoiding rod bearing failures for high boost, high torque, high load and high rev engines. Specifically due to the nature of the factory oil pump only feeding about 40-45 psi of pressure at high revs.

But I also might be overthinking here...I am just made really cautions after my last engine failure and I really want to make sure on my next one all bases are covered as thouroughly as possible.

Rocketst purchased one complete MRX engine. Might get some answers from there...also might not, depending how the engine is eventually used and abused.

Last edited:
It might be worth your time to reach out to Tim at pwnall performance, he sells a reinforced block.

I don't think anyone has asked yet ... What 4wd tranny are you planning on using?