Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Keep or delete the engine appearance cover

meFiSTo

Is there any reason to keep the appearance cover, other than it covers up the messy wire and hose routing? I could not think of any place else to ask this although it is kind of a cosmetic question.

But: The reason I'm asking is that I'm wondering if it acts like an insulator, holding heat that could be otherwise escaping.

Anyone have opinions about this? My leaning is to pull it. I think I'd rather have air flowing unobstructed up and out through that space. And I really don't care what it looks like under there. The hood is closed when the car is doing its thing at the track.

Any thoughts are welcomed.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
After I put the vacuum pick up under the map sensor I left mine off and it will now be seeing time in the race trailer as a conversation piece .. While it help hide the ugly as you said it's not much use that I know of once the hood is closed .. Did also take the under hood insulation off too and saved 13 ounces or more and let the air flow thru better . With the 2j intake I have no need to hide the little engine noise with that pad now.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
It was the 3 mod to my car after removing the fiesta badge and putting a sock inside the sound symposer.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
with mine being a daily driven car, I am leaving mine in place to help keep things clean under the hood. Trying to clean the top of the engine after winter without the cover is a horrible process. All sorts of places for dirt and salt to hide. While I am usually against anything that covers up an engine, I have to say that the top of the 1.6L isn't very attractive. With an ugly top half of the engine and the cover keeping things clean, I am leaving it on. Also, with 99.99% of my driving time being spent commuting to and from work on the highway, I am not worried about the cover trapping heat. For a track day, yeah, I can see pulling it off. It only takes a second to pop it off.

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #5
with mine being a daily driven car, I am leaving mine in place to help keep things clean under the hood. Trying to clean the top of the engine after winter without the cover is a horrible process. All sorts of places for dirt and salt to hide. While I am usually against anything that covers up an engine, I have to say that the top of the 1.6L isn't very attractive. With an ugly top half of the engine and the cover keeping things clean, I am leaving it on. Also, with 99.99% of my driving time being spent commuting to and from work on the highway, I am not worried about the cover trapping heat. For a track day, yeah, I can see pulling it off. It only takes a second to pop it off.
That's a good point. Doesn't really matter for around town, but popping it off at the track is easy enough. Maybe the hood insultator too.

What got me thinking about it in the first place was that the PCV catch can plumbing is routed in a way that makes it pop up a bit. The hoses land in a spot that make it difficult to trim the cover to improve fit. It goes on, but is not flush like stock.

MAT

I hate these covers, engines can be works of art if they tidy them up a bit. I'm guessing the manufactures would rather you put a bag over your head than to take the time...