Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Key Fob Battery

The last few days I've been getting a warning on the screen "Key Battery Low, Replace Soon". I figured that looking in the "SEARCH" function at this site would yield quick results. It must be a common issue. Search results were nil. I tried "Key Fob Battery Replacement" in my search request and this was not adequate to return any results. My FIST is closing in on 6 yrs so it's no surprise the battery is giving out. Yes, I do have the second fob. I'd just like to replace the battery in the current one. Can anyone here enlighten this old fart?

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Yeah, I think the owners manual has instructions like what's on the forum. Pry open the battery compartment, take out the battery and head down to WalMart or wherever you can buy batteries and get a new CR2032 to replace it. This is the same battery used on computer motherboards to power the BIOS when the computer is shut down.

OP
S
Thread Starter #6
I think the site's search function ignores 3 letter words, so "key fob battery replacement" looks like "battery replacement"

I just googled it, and the best link came from here :)
Probably for the best, I can only imagine my results by using 4 letter words! LOL

pixelzombie

The last few days I've been getting a warning on the screen "Key Battery Low, Replace Soon". I figured that looking in the "SEARCH" function at this site would yield quick results. It must be a common issue. Search results were nil. I tried "Key Fob Battery Replacement" in my search request and this was not adequate to return any results. My FIST is closing in on 6 yrs so it's no surprise the battery is giving out. Yes, I do have the second fob. I'd just like to replace the battery in the current one. Can anyone here enlighten this old fart?
I only got 1 Fob with my used FiST. Is it supposed to come with 2?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I only got 1 Fob with my used FiST. Is it supposed to come with 2?
Brand New they FiST comes with Qty- 2 FOBs ..Used its a crap shoot. If you have a good owner they turn in both...If you have a Lazy owner they turn in the one they have and left the other at home upon trade in.

I've had my fiesta 3 years now and I'm about to replace the batteries in both remotes for the 3rd time. They barely last 6 months.
How did your battery last 6 years?? Do you not drive your fiesta much?

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Change both batteries at the same time. Don't buy off brands. Life depends on use, I use mine only to start car so no real activity. I absolutly LOVE the lock/unlock buttons on the door handle.

. So my batteries lasted over 3 years.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I've had my fiesta 3 years now and I'm about to replace the batteries in both remotes for the 3rd time. They barely last 6 months.
How did your battery last 6 years?? Do you not drive your fiesta much?
What are you doing with your remote to eat batteries is the question, are you putting correct type battery in? I replaced mine at 3 years so I didn't have to jump to change them with a message.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
A CR2032 should last a really long time. In computers they go 5, maybe 10 years. My F150 key fob uses one, and I have to use the fob to unlock the door every time, as well as for the remote start function. It's now in its 4th year.

One of my fobs went through the laundry when I carelessly left it in a pocket. I took it apart and did all I could to dry off the internals, and replaced the battery immediately. Still, that fob will go through a battery in four or five months now. I've swapped it to the other fob and haven't had a problem.

If your battery is not lasting too long, did it get wet at some point?

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
A CR2032 should last a really long time. In computers they go 5, maybe 10 years. My F150 key fob uses one, and I have to use the fob to unlock the door every time, as well as for the remote start function. It's now in its 4th year.
In a computer the drainage is in microamps and used only keep the Real Time Clock active so they usually out live my laptops software support!

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Change both batteries at the same time. Don't buy off brands. Life depends on use, I use mine only to start car so no real activity. I absolutly LOVE the lock/unlock buttons on the door handle.

. So my batteries lasted over 3 years.
I also just use the fob to start the car, and I got the low key fob battery warning at about two and a half years. I agree, the door unlock/lock buttons on the handle are very handy.

I love those little buttons too. Pisses me off now when I drive my wife's 11-year old Honda or when I get a cheapy rental car on a business trip that doesn't have one.