Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Key fob replacement 411 thread

jeff

2000 Post Club
After finding no good info via searching I decided to compile what I learned here for folks in the future to have a quick and proven resource for key fob replacement.

So, I lost one of my 2 fobs and decided to get another so I'd have a spare. I ordered a cheaper ($30) generic fob on eBay, it looks just like ours except no Ford emblem, and had great reviews. I even located the little ford emblem for it so it looked OEM. However the dealer was unable to program it so I returned it.

Then I bought an OEM fob, yesterday the dealer programmed it and it works perfectly. Note, the dealer charges $180 for the OEM fob but I found one for $54.94 shipped on eBay at the link below, and it comes with a battery. Dealer did charge $62.50 to reprogram but still I'm happy that I saved some money.

So if this happens to you and you want an OEM fob that is guaranteed to be programmable, buy this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-20...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Back in the day with the keys, if you had 2 keys you could program a 3rd key in like 5 minutes (there was a program procedure where you enter key 1, cycle, enter key 2, cycle, enter new key cycle, then it was programed or something like that). If you only had 2 keys, and you lost one, a Tech would have to reprogram everything, and it was 1-2 hours of expense.

With the fob, is it the same story, where if you have 2 you can do fob 3 cheap, or it always takes a tech to program a new fob?

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Back in the day with the keys, if you had 2 keys you could program a 3rd key in like 5 minutes (there was a program procedure where you enter key 1, cycle, enter key 2, cycle, enter new key cycle, then it was programed or something like that). If you only had 2 keys, and you lost one, a Tech would have to reprogram everything, and it was 1-2 hours of expense.

With the fob, is it the same story, where if you have 2 you can do fob 3 cheap, or it always takes a tech to program a new fob?
Yeah, I never understood that one either.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
I wonder if this actually works?

https://www.citrusford.com/parts/parts-tips/how-to-program-ford-key-fob/

If so, couldn't hurt to order a new fob and program for a future spare.

Anyone want to be the guinea pig?
Hey thanks for posting that. The top half procedure I’ve actually done on our church van, it is a Ford and we had to get a bunch of remotes for it and it worked fine. Looks like the bottom half is what would be needed for our cars with the theft deterrent transmitter.

I bet a nickel that that would work. At the same time, the service technician told me that they had a machine that was needed to complete the procedure, and I actually had an appointment last week but they were not able to program it because they said the machine was down which is why I came back a week later and had it done. Maybe that machine was a desktop computer that could get them the information you posted. I don’t know but I sure am curious now.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Dealer gave me 2 keys, but one doesn't work. I even tried the hidden key stick inside, so I don't think it belonged to my car at all. I would like to have a spare so when I'm employed again I intend on getting it reprogrammed.