Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Kona N

Business6

Hyundai has gone elbow-deep in committing to their performance line and confirmed (some) specs of the new Kona N.

For those of you who don't know the current Kona has five trim levels with the top two featuring AWD and the 1.6l turbo 4 producing 173hp and 199lbft of torque or thereabouts. It's been on the market for a few years and is one of the last models to receive the N performance treatment.

I think the cheapest of the two trims starts at $26k so you can obviously guess that these go for $30k quite frequently, which is a lot for this segment. My guess was they'd keep the cost down by more or less fleshing out the line with a bit more powerful model with output similar to what we have at like 200hp/215-230lbft. Instead Hyundai has confirmed the 2.0l powerplant and 275hp/260lbft but not yet the drivetrain.

I'd be shocked if the Kona N wasn't AWD due to how the trim levels are arranged and the mating of the 8 speed DCT but the price is going to be hard to keep under $30-32k to start. There's a lot to like about the Kona, even with that quirky ass front end, but we like the FiST enough to be here, too.

hyundai-kona-n-prototype-teaser-02-1610410397.jpg
hyundai-kona-n-prototype-teaser-04-1610411138.jpg

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hyundai has gone elbow-deep in committing to their performance line and confirmed (some) specs of the new Kona N.

For those of you who don't know the current Kona has five trim levels with the top two featuring AWD and the 1.6l turbo 4 producing 173hp and 199lbft of torque or thereabouts. It's been on the market for a few years and is one of the last models to receive the N performance treatment.

I think the cheapest of the two trims starts at $26k so you can obviously guess that these go for $30k quite frequently, which is a lot for this segment. My guess was they'd keep the cost down by more or less fleshing out the line with a bit more powerful model with output similar to what we have at like 200hp/215-230lbft. Instead Hyundai has confirmed the 2.0l powerplant and 275hp/260lbft but not yet the drivetrain.

I'd be shocked if the Kona N wasn't AWD due to how the trim levels are arranged and the mating of the 8 speed DCT but the price is going to be hard to keep under $30-32k to start. There's a lot to like about the Kona, even with that quirky ass front end, but we like the FiST enough to be here, too.

View attachment 37551
View attachment 37552
I saw this also....its making me a believer in Hyundai and even Kia. But it won't arrive.....If it even arrives here in the States till 2022. Grrr....I have the feeling we will get stiffed * we can only hope! At least I do....

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

She's a thicc girl.

What's the goal for competition with this car? It's too small to compete with most crossovers but too big to compete with hot hatches

OP
Business6

Business6

Thread Starter #4
I think they have the best line up, top to bottom, in the industry. No one offers the price/performance ratio that they do right now thanks to Ford ditching cars and enthusiasts entirely unless they want to spend $50k or more on a mustang.

I'm very curious to see how this plays out against the GR Corolla.

OP
Business6

Business6

Thread Starter #5
She's a thicc girl.

What's the goal for competition with this car? It's too small to compete with most crossovers but too big to compete with hot hatches
Hyundai's press release pits this as a "hot SUV" which you and I both know was a struggle for them to pin down. The Kona is clearly a crossover so giving it that label is quite interesting. To be honest I don't think this directly competes with anything at all but it would be in the same pool of consideration for people with a FiST all the way up to people considering an A3/S3 assuming it is AWD. That might be a really good strategy given the regular Kona's position: the more conversations this car is in the better.

Another shot from the press release csm_hyundai-kona-n-prototype-teaser-06-1610_e6f5a93233.jpg

The thing I've never understood about Hyundai is why they sell so many cars that are basically the same. What's the direction of this company? Throw as many cars on the board as possible and hope one sticks?

1610470188191.png

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I could see myself in one of these when I have kids.. Or if the Golf R Crossover "thing" ever comes to the USA.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Korean car culture. Did you read the article last year in either R&T or Car and Driver? Rules are so rigid on what you cannot do to your car, that minute model differences are probably the only way to individualize.

Korean car culture. Did you read the article last year in either R&T or Car and Driver? Rules are so rigid on what you cannot do to your car, that minute model differences are probably the only way to individualize.
I haven't but I'll give it a read. I'm sure it's weird laws like Americas Chicken Tax and Safety Regulations.

She's a thicc girl.

Same size as a Crosstrek, Q3, CX-3/30, CH-R, Venza are all about the same size as the Kona. But those are all incredibly boring cars, so this might set them apart.

The thing I've never understood about Hyundai is why they sell so many cars that are basically the same. What's the direction of this company? Throw as many cars on the board as possible and hope one sticks?

View attachment 37557
it's like Ford with the Size differences.
Ecosport,
Escape,
Edge,
Explorer,
Expedition

it's like Ford with the Size differences.
Ecosport,
Escape,
Edge,
Explorer,
Expedition
We live in a crossover era. I get the appeal (I drive/modify my wifes Forester more than my Fiesta) but I have no interest in one, yet. I will say that Cross Overs are looking significantly better within the last 5 years. The Rav4, RDX and Forester Sport are great looking cars with everything most people would like.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
This, in an N version with AWD and the 'correct' gearbox, is about the ONLY SUV/CUV I'd ever be interested in owning. [wink] [driving]

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
On a side note: This Kona makes me wish the Hot Wagon would be popular in America again. The RS 6 Avant and Subaru Levorg are two cars I'd be more interested in. I just want a 4 door Dad Sedan that can fit stuff in the back.

View attachment 37558
The elantra gt n line is a wagon, but they call it a hatch. It was nice to drive and the interior is way beyond the FiST of course, but I wanted to wait for a possible full N version. Plus the price.

I miss my V70 wagon

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
Business6

Business6

Thread Starter #19
I was all excited to learn about the Buick Regal Tour X after you said that, but then I found this:

https://www.motor1.com/news/387128/buick-regal-tourx-discount/
I liked your post but unlike the content very hard :( that's a shame, but not a surprise.

Same size as a Crosstrek, Q3, CX-3/30, CH-R, Venza are all about the same size as the Kona. But those are all incredibly boring cars, so this might set them apart.
A Miata is about 155-158" in length for any generation.
Our FiST is 160"
Kona is 164"
CX3 is 168"
HR-V is 170"
Cx30 is 173"
Crosstrek is 176"
Q3 is 176"
Q5 is 183"
Venza is 186"

Being around a Kona in person it feels very similar to the ST minus the downward sloping roofline.

OP
Business6

Business6

Thread Starter #20
The elantra gt n line is a wagon, but they call it a hatch. It was nice to drive and the interior is way beyond the FiST of course, but I wanted to wait for a possible full N version. Plus the price.

I miss my V70 wagon

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
My wife leased an EGT but not the N Line because there wasn't time for us to wait for one. It's a very solid car and we both like it a lot. I totally get the comparison to a wagon more than a hatch with it.