Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Krug Throws Parts at His Car: The Thread

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Well, generally, working on my car is an exciting project and can usually be a "one and done" sort of deal. Even changing fluids or performing other maintenance is something that is done every few months at most. Refueling occurs often enough that the prospect of adding even a mild complication to the ordeal triggers that part of my lizard brain that would rather eat nachos and watch Netflix. And, as previously stated, when I'm gassing up I'm usually in pure lizard brain mode. That said, while it isn't high on my list of priorities, I may give it a shot down the line, so thanks for the enthusiasm!
Hey, I get it, I was hesitant at first too but since I got an e30 tune for free when I got a regular 93 tune from Dizzy, I sat on it a while but eventually tried it just to see what the fuss was about... so that's why I just try to explain just HOW much better it is, it literally makes the car JUMP to life almost as much a turbo upgrade..... but then you feel it peter out up top again too but still. The difference is indeed amazing and for you guys with e85 available at the same station as premium AND self serve, I personally will never ever understand the logic or type of laziness to not take advantage of that, and I'm a lazy fuck! LOL. I don't know what can possibly be more exciting than literally an extra 2 minutes while fueling giving you an instant 20hp and 40 torque that completely changes the car. Working on the car otherwise is usually far from exciting and is a pain in the ass mostly, this is the *epitome* of instant gratification with our cars... I won't say a word more, you've heard everything I have to throw at you. Just like you can't get someone to flip their political party no matter how much logic you throw at them, at a certain point there is that utter disagreement on what is simply more important to YOU... Well work is busy as hell today, but I have vDyno charts at home between 93 and e30, I'll post one later... Thanks as always for the awesome discussion, love to chat it up with people not afraid to explain their feelings and logic when challenged, that is how we all grow and learn!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
No prob. I should give credit to koozy for (maybe) doing it first, though. I'm pretty sure he used the 02600 plug, going by the appearance. Just make sure you expand it a bit by tightening the nut before you slip it into the charge pipe, so that it will grip against the sides enough to allow you to expand it nice and tight instead of spinning freely. There's little to no danger of it falling into the charge pipe, as the large washer on top is just a bit too wide to slip in.
I even put a little blue Loctite on the threads of the expander just to be sure, and I also put one of those Sure Motorsports (Ron @ Whoosh now carries his own version of these!) silicone cover caps over the whole thing as well. ;)

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I even put a little blue Loctite on the threads of the expander just to be sure, and I also put one of those Sure Motorsports (Ron @ Whoosh now carries his own version of these!) silicone cover caps over the whole thing as well. ;)
Nice, I have that Whoosh silicone one as my only plug right now, for $3 I might add the Dorman 02600 as well since that silicone one alone doesn't look all that great as far as longevity and staying on for good...

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Nice and concise write up. Watching SirSinclairs vid about his experience finding a shop to put it in it sounded like s hassle. Though from your install write up it does not look bad at all mainly time consuming. Lol thanks for the write up.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Yes, the hardest parts were removing and reinstalling the trans itself. Whole process took me about 14 hours but I am meticulous and did it on the ground. Would be much easier and faster with a lift and/or trans jack.
Ya there is a shop up in Simi that does this stuff all the time their street quote is $1200, my friend can get the hook up for $800. The LSD is definitely rising to the top of my list of mods even before a turbo upgrade. It just makes sense . I know Butterybunz was saying it is unescessary for a car used mainly on the street but damn it I want all the positives about it. Taking away torque steer is big! The minute I added tunes TQ steer reared its ugly head.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Depends on the person, I suppose. It's worth it to me, but I love to wrench and making things better. All told it cost me about $900 in parts/chemicals and two days of my time.
Ya I am like the money is worth it. I am most likely going Wavetrac so I am going to have $1800-2k in. It seems expensive but when you add up the mods and what you wind up getting back car wise its a relative bargain. As you will be able to spank cars 2-3 times more costly.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Were things posted out of sequence? Because it looks like way the axle seals were removed are only an option with the gearbox removed from the car and split?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

koozy

3000 Post Club
Yeah, trying to see if there’s a tool/puller to remove the seals without risk of gouging the case. It not practical to split the case open to change seals.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Ah, okay I read it as you used the punch to knock the seals through to the other side and retrieved them there.

koozy

3000 Post Club
BTW, nice job. I know how inconvenient it is to take photos and document the process.

Good to know you didn’t find it necessary to put the differential in the freezer prior to.

koozy

3000 Post Club
IIRC, the Ford Quaife install instructions made no mention of freezing. Some things get blown out of proportion by IMO, monkey wrench hacks. I find those videos entertaining and barbaric lol. Certainly not the elegant or sanitary way of doing things.

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
IIRC, the Ford Quaife install instructions made no mention of freezing. Some things get blown out of proportion by IMO, monkey wrench hacks. I find those videos entertaining and barbaric lol. Certainly not the elegant or sanitary way of doing things.

Ya like how many real shops go and put diffs in a freezer before installing them. Lol 😆

koozy

3000 Post Club
A few days and some miles later, everything is holding up fantastically. No leaks, no grinding, no weird noises. By the way, everything that people have said about Ravenol MTF-2 is true. It's most noticeable on "cold shifts," the first few shifts after the car has been sitting for a while. They're as buttery smooth as you can imagine.

@koozy, here's a seal puller that should be able to yank axle seals out without tearing them or gouging the case: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FPYW4K/
View attachment 19890

There are also slide hammer attachments that could work well, if you have the space to work with them.
View attachment 19892
Awesome news with you differential.

Great just what I need, another toy for the tool box. LOL.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Mountune triple-pass radiator, Whoosh silicone coolant hoses, and Motorcraft 180F thermostat on order. Cooling system wasn't next in my plans, but everything for $551.70 shipped I couldn't pass it up.
Where?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Mikey456

Ya there is a shop up in Simi that does this stuff all the time their street quote is $1200, my friend can get the hook up for $800. The LSD is definitely rising to the top of my list of mods even before a turbo upgrade. It just makes sense . I know Butterybunz was saying it is unescessary for a car used mainly on the street but damn it I want all the positives about it. Taking away torque steer is big! The minute I added tunes TQ steer reared its ugly head.
If you don’t me asking... what shop in Simi works on our cars? Do they do all performance installs? I went down to Mod bargains to install my springs but it was too far for me.

Thanks

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Coolnezzz For Sale 7