Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Latest 'MotorTrend' magazine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I watched this today.
Anybody that has a home and works during the day like the vast majority of people do can easily charge at night time when there is much less load on the electrical grid. Most electric car chargers don't use any more electricity than a electric water heater or dryer. I'm not talking about the insanely fast ones in parking lots, but what you would use at home.

I'm personally pro nuclear power problem solved no more emissions. Regardless green energy is the future nuclear, solar, wind and so on. I have no desire to argue with anyone so we can just agree to disagree. Have a good one.

View: https://youtu.be/Iyp_X3mwE1w

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I watched this today.
Anybody that has a home and works during the day like the vast majority of people do can easily charge at night time when there is much less load on the electrical grid. Electric car chargers don't use any more electricity than a electric water heater or dryer. I'm not talking about the insanely fast ones in parking lots, but what you would use at home.

View: https://youtu.be/Iyp_X3mwE1w

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk
Moreover, every EV and most Level 2 chargers designed for home use can be set to only charge during certain periods or at reduced rate. Add a little smart grid and V2G and the EV becomes part of the solution.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
My dad lives in another state, almost hired an electrician who tried to scare him into installing a new meter because there was rust on the meter can, and upsell him to a 200A panel. He knew my dad wanted to install a level 2 charger and his estimate showed he planned to install a 50A breaker (should be 60A). What a crook.

I’m a master electrician, I FaceTimed him and verified his 100A panel could definitely handle the level 2 charger, the only other heavy load he had was the AC, even his clothes dryer is gas. He found an electrician who was willing to do it right for a fair price.

I said worse case scenario you’ll trip the main, reset it, and just be careful when you charge. He hasn’t had an issue yet.

Dialcaliper

Yes, bad stuff happens when people find and exploit things that become worth money.
Unless you’re going to put money where mouth is and live without a car, you’re going to accept that supply chain will never be perfect and all you can do is advocate for change and improvement.

I mean given that the world has been very civilized and congenial about extracting oil from the ground, clearly battery resource extraction must be way worse… 🤣

Move east, plenty of power when everyone isn't crammed as close to the Pacific as they can get.

EVs are the future... fossil fuels ain't. Cry foul and resist if you want in the name of nostalgia/purism/politicking, but the table has been set.
Guess you forgot about the 4 day outage in the North East when a couple of high voltage lines grounded out on some trees and dropped power to about 1/4 of the nation for 4 days. So, do you have enough battery to keep your house going for 4 days? How about your water supply, is it a well or city water. Note many city water districts are served by POWERED pump that won't be operating for a major outage. Expanding the Grid to provide power to a 100% fleet of electric vehicles will require that every vehicles be designed to minimize energy usage. This means that every single one of those electric cars will be regulated to the Speed Limits in place and not 1 mph more. In addition since rapid acceleration is wasteful it won't be available, you will be limited to about 30 HP of output. Because expanding the grid is NOT going to happen, last cost estimate I found was 180 Trillion Dollars and people won't be willing to pay that bill.

I'll also note that electric cars at present are actually powered by fossil fuels. That blows up all those "green" feelings you have, they are not Green at all, they are simply cheaper to build. In addition that electric car in your driveway is toxic enough to be declared a Superfund site. Note funny thing about that is that currently every single failed battery from an electric car gets parked in a field or desert somewhere. In the US it's a desert in New Mexico. Wonder how long it will be before we see a 2 headed baby born in New Mexico. All because nobody has figured out how to recycle a failed battery using a method that actually returns a profit. Currently it's cheaper to get Lithium from an Open Pit mine instead of an old worn out battery.

Personally I believe that in about 8 years we will see the grid crash in North America for probably 3 to 6 months. During that period there will be a lot of lives lost because it's kind of hard to get by without any water. Yeah, it will get that bad.

Dialcaliper

Guess you forgot about the 4 day outage in the North East when a couple of high voltage lines grounded out on some trees and dropped power to about 1/4 of the nation for 4 days. So, do you have enough battery to keep your house going for 4 days? How about your water supply, is it a well or city water. Note many city water districts are served by POWERED pump that won't be operating for a major outage. Expanding the Grid to provide power to a 100% fleet of electric vehicles will require that every vehicles be designed to minimize energy usage. This means that every single one of those electric cars will be regulated to the Speed Limits in place and not 1 mph more. In addition since rapid acceleration is wasteful it won't be available, you will be limited to about 30 HP of output. Because expanding the grid is NOT going to happen, last cost estimate I found was 180 Trillion Dollars and people won't be willing to pay that bill.

I'll also note that electric cars at present are actually powered by fossil fuels. That blows up all those "green" feelings you have, they are not Green at all, they are simply cheaper to build. In addition that electric car in your driveway is toxic enough to be declared a Superfund site. Note funny thing about that is that currently every single failed battery from an electric car gets parked in a field or desert somewhere. In the US it's a desert in New Mexico. Wonder how long it will be before we see a 2 headed baby born in New Mexico. All because nobody has figured out how to recycle a failed battery using a method that actually returns a profit. Currently it's cheaper to get Lithium from an Open Pit mine instead of an old worn out battery.

Personally I believe that in about 8 years we will see the grid crash in North America for probably 3 to 6 months. During that period there will be a lot of lives lost because it's kind of hard to get by without any water. Yeah, it will get that bad.
Ironically, it’s not EVs stressing the grid in places like California and Texas as most charging is done at night when the grid is lightly loaded. It’s primarily from increased A/C loads in record heat waves.

Or else it’s heating during cold snaps, which is and more coming from more efficient heat pumps instead of gas heating. But it’s happening when it gets below freezing and heat pumps have a hard time keeping up, and the electric resistance “backup” kicks in, which adds a massive load since pure electric heat requires 2-3x as much power to run as an equivalent heat pump wringing heat out of the environment. And because it’s typically a temperature threshold, the shock loading happens simultaneously over wide areas.

The irony being that our grid problems are primarily from consuming even more electricity to keep ourselves comfortable/alive during temperature extremes made worse by carbon emissions…in a large part from electricity generation.

Reminds me of the “Rat Race” story from the Rats of NIMH about Ms. Jones with her new vacuum cleaner and the coal plant next door!

gtx3076

1000 Post Club

Bros burning gas complaining EV tech isn’t green enough for them.

Do you have a closet full of incandescent bulbs from 2007?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Not enough minerals in the Earth to produce all the batteries needed. If you think slave labor is bad now...just wait as most of the lithium comes from...Guess who...CHINA. Who pollutes the most China and India currently lead that group and they aren't slowing down PERIOD. Elon even said there isn't Enough resources to make batteries for everyone. Electric vehicles have their place. But it isn't the future.....Sorry to bust all your sheople bubbles.

Last edited:
Yeah, I won't be supporting the slave labor & destruction of resources. I'd rather pay 5 bucks a gallon for US oil and grown men and women working to collect it. Not enslaved children in shitty countries. In my location there are zero electric chargers anywhere. Plus the range is super shitty from the gate much less when you wear the battery out. I'll build my own car before that shit. 😆

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Anyone who claims to take the high road by refusing to use any goods delivered by a supply chain that exploits the underprivileged has no idea of how the world works.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Not enough minerals in the Earth to produce all the batteries needed. If you think salve labor is bad now...just wait as most of the lithium comes from...Guess who...CHINA. Who pollutes the most China and India currently lead that group and they aren't slowing down PERIOD. Elon even said there isn't Enough resources to make batteries for everyone. Electric vehicles have their place. But it isn't the future.....Sorry to bust all your sheople bubbles.
Given that we have 50-80 years of oil left, what is your vision of the future?

Anyone who claims to take the high road by refusing to use any goods delivered by a supply chain that exploits the underprivileged has no idea of how the world works.
I'd think someone who makes the assumption of how everyone lives is the true person who doesn't know how the world works. Keep paying for slave labor and accepting it. The world is what you make it.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Centralized electricity distributed to almost every structure in the United States decades ago and folks think chargers are a pipe dream.

Now people are saying they prefer paying $5 a gallon for gas. [emoji38]

I think I’ll take affordable EV’s AND $2.95 gas.

Centralized electricity distributed to almost every structure in the United States decades ago and folks think chargers are a pipe dream.

Now people are saying they prefer paying $5 a gallon for gas. [emoji38]

I think I’ll take affordable EV’s AND $2.95 gas.
Do a little research. You are supporting slavery with just that simple statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.