Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Learnings from installing the 2j intake, since I couldn't find much install help.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #21
I gotta say this sounds like a lot of effort and hassle. Makes one think an ItE maxogen intake might be a simpller solution if its sound your after.
It is annoying, but it's doing what I wanted - more noise inside the car, a little less outside. I'm tired of getting pulled over constantly; I've avoided driving through Irvine for the most part, but I'd like to be able to without getting immediately pulled over for intake noise. I might even put my exhaust back on just to cover the intake sounds, though totally quiet exhaust with turbo noise is kinda great.

SrsBsns

How often are you getting pulled over? I know Irvine and some of the coast cities like Newport/Huntington can be touchy, but are you running into problems with noise?

I've been doing my best to avoid the cops since installing my Stratified crackle tune. I love the popping but feel that the cops won't.

Aside from the install troubles, would you recommend the 2J?

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #23
How often are you getting pulled over? I know Irvine and some of the coast cities like Newport/Huntington can be touchy, but are you running into problems with noise?

I've been doing my best to avoid the cops since installing my Stratified crackle tune. I love the popping but feel that the cops won't.

Aside from the install troubles, would you recommend the 2J?
3 times in two weeks, there's an initiative to profile "tuner" cars due to excessive street racing in irvine.

Every time I have been pulled over I am let go without penalty, despite no front plate, front tint, obviously not legal intake, etc. simply because I do not fit the demographic. Irvine is best avoided at all costs.

I gotta say this sounds like a lot of effort and hassle. Makes one think an ItE maxogen intake might be a simpller solution if its sound your after.
Eh, like I said, it wasn't bad minus a little bit of creativity. Being that the 2J intake did not come with instructions the bulk of wasted time was in problem solving. Total install time was probably two-three hours soup to nuts. If there were instructions, and if 2J Racing included a cowl cutout mock up, you could probably install in 90minutes or less.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #25
Eh, like I said, it wasn't bad minus a little bit of creativity. Being that the 2J intake did not come with instructions the bulk of wasted time was in problem solving. Total install time was probably two-three hours soup to nuts. If there were instructions, and if 2J Racing included a cowl cutout mock up, you could probably install in 90minutes or less.
yeah my first go round my cut in the cowl was perfect, less than 1/16" all around the pipe, after it vibed (I'm a dum dum and forgot the engine moves even with mounts) I enlarged, reassembled, drove, then hogged that mofo out with an angle grinder in frustration :p

I removed part of the edging to allow more vertical movement and it squeaks less, but I think I need to readjust the filter. I might try the intake with a longer/narrower filter from one of the fiat intake systems I have sitting around.

yeah my first go round my cut in the cowl was perfect, less than 1/16" all around the pipe, after it vibed (I'm a dum dum and forgot the engine moves even with mounts) I enlarged, reassembled, drove, then hogged that mofo out with an angle grinder in frustration :p

I removed part of the edging to allow more vertical movement and it squeaks less, but I think I need to readjust the filter. I might try the intake with a longer/narrower filter from one of the fiat intake systems I have sitting around.
That is a good call. At the checkup if I have any holes I might jump down the smaller element route if needed.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #28
I am 75% sure I am going to sell the 2j and move on to something else. I must be getting old, but I really want factory fit and finish; even the injen intake (hot air) was a much cleaner install than the 2j - I just can't get past the fact that every 2-3 days I need to pull it apart and adjust it because its rubbing *something*. That, coupled with the way the newer-gen vac lines need to double back on themselves and join together with a check valve, PCV CEL, etc. makes it just not worth it *to me*. I think I'll maybe go ST200 airbox if it adds some noise over the stock airbox; I just want to hear the diverter valve without going to a noisy external BOV (because that gets me pulled over). I like this product, and were I 10 years younger or if the FiST wasn't my daily I would probably be ok with it. I find that since I installed the 2j intake, I am avoiding driving the FiST for fear of finding another annoying rattle or buzz that makes me not want to drive it. Great upgrade for a fun/track car, terrible for a daily. Also a 3 hour drive on the freeway made me want to pull the wheel to the right and plant my car into a wall.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
This is the exact reason I didn't want the 2j intake. I feel I would get tired of it and I'm not even old. The ITG intake gives you the same sound but(obviously) a little quieter. Granted I'm BT and the whistle may be a little louder since its a bigger turbo but the whistle from the ITG is perfect tone and volume IMO.

I do occasional road trips too and I couldn't imagine dealing with it on the highway. I'm actually road tripping to EuEx in Georgia and hitting TOTD on the way back.

I highly recommend the ITG intake.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I would say the ITG Maxogen would be the ticket for you. Though with Whoosh crossover pipe and Mountune intake tube I can hear the stock diverter valve letting off with the ST200 box. Not super load but you do hear it.

I am waiting on the 2j intake and was hoping it wouldn’t be too loud on the 2867r. I have only seen videos of stock and hybrids running this set up and it’s crazy loud. Is it super annoying even with the biggest turbo for the FiST? I know the MAP intake I have on quieted down greatly on switching to the larger turbo. I have to ditch the factory intake location due to the tubular manifold.

I am waiting on the 2j intake and was hoping it wouldn’t be too loud on the 2867r. I have only seen videos of stock and hybrids running this set up and it’s crazy loud. Is it super annoying even with the biggest turbo for the FiST? I know the MAP intake I have on quieted down greatly on switching to the larger turbo. I have to ditch the factory intake location due to the tubular manifold.
I'm running a stock turbo and on an OEM setup the intake is loud but not overbearing. I've pulled my db meter and at 60-70mph cruising it is typically between 70-73db to the driver. On heavier acceleration I've seen low 80db. Something else that I haven't quite figured out is that if I have the sunshade on the sunroof closed the sound is noticeably deadened. I think one of the things that surprised me, and why everyone complains about it being loud, is that in our minds eye boost doesn't come on until you start to play. With the lil ecoboost the turbo starts humming around 100rpm so its every present.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #33
I'm running a stock turbo and on an OEM setup the intake is loud but not overbearing. I've pulled my db meter and at 60-70mph cruising it is typically between 70-73db to the driver. On heavier acceleration I've seen low 80db. Something else that I haven't quite figured out is that if I have the sunshade on the sunroof closed the sound is noticeably deadened. I think one of the things that surprised me, and why everyone complains about it being loud, is that in our minds eye boost doesn't come on until you start to play. With the lil ecoboost the turbo starts humming around 100rpm so its every present.
I was ok with it until a freeway trip, the noise from my passenger seat *about* the intake was a significant contributor.

Something I tried that really helped "clean up" the sound was a K&N filter wrap. I bought a road race intake for a fiat a long time ago and it came with a filter wrap to "help with intrusive whistling sounds". I wrapped the 2j filter with it and it helped significantly, but I was still getting issues with the intake flopping around and a strong oil smell each time the DV blew off.

I was ok with it until a freeway trip, the noise from my passenger seat *about* the intake was a significant contributor.

Something I tried that really helped "clean up" the sound was a K&N filter wrap. I bought a road race intake for a fiat a long time ago and it came with a filter wrap to "help with intrusive whistling sounds". I wrapped the 2j filter with it and it helped significantly, but I was still getting issues with the intake flopping around and a strong oil smell each time the DV blew off.
I bought the hydropbic k&n sock that 2J offers so I might have already checked that box. The sound level also changes depending on the load exerted. Solo the intake is noticeably quieter then when I have three passengers.

I don't have much issue with passenger noise about the noise. I've framed the sound with new passengers as 'The car is modified, there is no need to worry about the noise, the turbo is very loud but it is doing what it is supposed to.' So far everyone has thought the sound is cool or bad ass and get that little glint in the eye. The wife doesn't mind as the last car was borderline race car so this is quiet and refined in comparison.

PhoenixM3

I installed some adhesive sound dampening material which eliminated any knocks or rattles and greatly reduced the intake noise.
B21BC7AD-6080-411F-9DBC-DD7158A5042F.jpeg 233DC3D0-7071-403C-AE76-DC1CCD09E35F.jpeg

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #36
I bought the hydropbic k&n sock that 2J offers so I might have already checked that box. The sound level also changes depending on the load exerted. Solo the intake is noticeably quieter then when I have three passengers.

I don't have much issue with passenger noise about the noise. I've framed the sound with new passengers as 'The car is modified, there is no need to worry about the noise, the turbo is very loud but it is doing what it is supposed to.' So far everyone has thought the sound is cool or bad ass and get that little glint in the eye. The wife doesn't mind as the last car was borderline race car so this is quiet and refined in comparison.
Wife was mostly ok but after 2 hours of gentle uphills the passenger seat noise started. She was mostly annoyed that i picked the FiST instead of one of our other cars for the trip :p we’re both over 6 feet and she’s all legs so the FiST isn’t ideal for her.

I had the filter sock too, the wrap I’m talking about is a large pore foam thing that wraps around the outside of that like a blanket. It killed a lot of the part throttle oscillation so it was just good clean succ. I might 2j again in the future but with the constant adjustment I just can’t keep doing it (medical reasons) so I went back to my dorky injen. I can flip from injen to stock in about 15 minutes.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #37
I installed some adhesive sound dampening material which eliminated any knocks or rattles and greatly reduced the intake noise.
View attachment 20362 View attachment 20363
I added some strips but I was hesitant to blanket the whole thing. Maybe in the future after i get a spare cowl. Is standard fiesta cowl the same?

I wish the 2j attached to the bolts that hold the crossover to mitigate vibes a bit. The real concern was, everywhere I heard contact is a wear point and I’ve had an aluminum intake wear thru before resulting in the engine sucking in aluminum dust. I’m about to have a hand surgery and won’t be able to pull the cowl for months, so the smart move is back to something easier until I’m physically able to give myself that peace of mind. I think it’d be fine, but peace of mind is a powerful thing.

PhoenixM3

I added some strips but I was hesitant to blanket the whole thing. Maybe in the future after i get a spare cowl. Is standard fiesta cowl the same?

I wish the 2j attached to the bolts that hold the crossover to mitigate vibes a bit. The real concern was, everywhere I heard contact is a wear point and I’ve had an aluminum intake wear thru before resulting in the engine sucking in aluminum dust. I’m about to have a hand surgery and won’t be able to pull the cowl for months, so the smart move is back to something easier until I’m physically able to give myself that peace of mind. I think it’d be fine, but peace of mind is a powerful thing.
I gave our second daughter our 2012Fiesta SES. When I see her next time, I’ll see if the cowls appear similar.

I just installed my 2j on my 16 and it's not as loud on the inside as I expected it to be. With how loud I normally play music I think it'll work out just fine. I should've recorded some intake temps prior to changing it out but I'm sure it'll be fine. Also I almost didn't know where to put the adapter because one of the lines was tucked and hiding away but luckily we found it. I used the Cobb adapter but also didn't end up using a couple parts and just reworked the ones I had.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Y'all wanna see some janky gold tape work and the rest of the engine bay now

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk