Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

LED Headlight Mod

Code99Kid

I've always thought it would be cool to have LEDs on my ST but of course, there are no aftermarket headlights that have them. At least not to my knowledge. Here is my LED mod that is in the beginning stages, this is my first go around with it and will probably modify it a few more times before I have the final product. This may not be for everyone but if someone may have better ideas that can help this mod be something other members may like then I am definitely up for some suggestions. Here is my build:

You will need:
-Basic tools
-Add-a-Circuit http://www.autozone.com/electrical-...oper-bussmann-fuse-and-accessories/32416_0_0/
-Black and Red 18ga wire
-LED strip http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MN9XYJ0...TF8&qid=1438576175&sr=sr-1&keywords=LED+strip
-Soldering iron
-Heat shrink tubing

I started off with removing both headlights so I could have access to the upper portion of the bumper that is below the headlight.

Then I placed the LED strip where it will lay between the headlight and the bumper edge. The LED lights will show on the outer edge of the lower headlight so it does not look as tacky. I am still exploring better LED options but this was the best I could find at the time.

Now I started with the wiring. I connected a red and black wire to the corresponding ends of the LED strip. Just to be safe I soldered each end and covered the end with waterproofing since it has a high chance of getting wet. I'm kind of OCD so just look at my pics:

I then ran the red and black wires across the front end of the car (sorry, forgot to take pics of that by my wires are very well hidden) and connected it to the other LEDs strip. I basically just removed the rubber on the outside of each wire and soldered the corresponding color wires where I stripped off the rubber. Of course I used some weather proofing just to make sure it will last. Like this:

I ran the wires to the fuse box and this is what I did to connect the power and the ground. I used the F33 10amp fuse to piggy back off of but it is your choice of what you want to use. Like this:

Here's what the final product looks like:

This is what it looks like when they are not on:

It looks much nicer at night. I think the LEDs I used were not very strong so the next upgrade will probably be the LED strip. I was just out during a clear summer day and it is not as bight so don't expect to be able to see it like the OEM ones on nicer cars. If you have anything to add or suggestions please feel free to post.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
there are no aftermarket headlights that have them. At least not to my knowledge.
This is a nice MOD and you have done very good work.

Just to let you know however, the Ford Euro headlight set does have LEDs built in.
They are a lot more expensive then your setup though.

Dave

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Great job and write up.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Are the European Headlight?s avariable in the US?
No, you will need to order them from Ford Parts UK.
You also cannot order direct from their site, contact Trevor by email, he will set everything up for you.
Make sure you order the German ones for LHD.

Dave

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Only by ordering German LHD headlights from Europe for a fair chunk of money.
They are about half the price of the US headlights.

I am German, so i have these. Its sad they dont have them in the US, dont know why Ford makes different ones...
It is because they are not DOT approved.

Dave

Perfblue15

1000 Post Club
No, you will need to order them from Ford Parts UK.
You also cannot order direct from their site, contact Trevor by email, he will set everything up for you.
Make sure you order the German ones for LHD.

Dave
I just did this. That is the exact procedure. Trevor is awesome BTW he got my lights shipped the day I paid.
They are about half the price of the US headlights.

It is because they are not DOT approved.

Dave
I think you mean they are double the price of the US lights. And I agree they probably could not get them dot approved so the lights never came over here.

I just did this. That is the exact procedure. Trevor is awesome BTW he got my lights shipped the day I paid.

I think you mean they are double the price of the US lights. And I agree they probably could not get them dot approved so the lights never came over here.
How much did you pay all told for them? Curious how much it ends up being with the wiring harnesses etc as I'm interested in doing it down the road.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran

Yes, you are correct.

Dave

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
How much did you pay all told for them? Curious how much it ends up being with the wiring harnesses etc as I'm interested in doing it down the road.
The total price is about $800.00 but that does depend on the exchange rate.

As for any wiring, nothing else is required.
Everything works except the parking lights.
You will just change one wire location in the car harness connector on each side.

Dave

Perfblue15

1000 Post Club
The total price is about $800.00 but that does depend on the exchange rate.

As for any wiring, nothing else is required.
Everything works except the parking lights.
You will just change one wire location in the car harness connector on each side.

Dave
What he said.

Ford Community Posts