Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Limited Slip Diff Install

Fusion Works

You don't really need to "shim" the diff like you think of a standard hypoid rear axle setup. The "shim" sets the preload on the diff bearings more than anything else. So you can measure the diff bearing turning torque and see if its correct. I didn't have to change my shims on my Mfactory diff. If anything you can remove the original bearing racers and measure the diff stack up as removed, then compare to your new setup. That will tell you if you need to plan for shims.

For the most part I don't think its a major concern, but its worth checking. One thing to keep in mind, the Quaife unit was designed with input from Ford engineers. I suspect there was some dimension sharing, if not the direct transfer of diff drawing files to ensure that Quaife stayed within Ford's design specs to limit the amount of "shimming" necessary.

Do you have any idea how much increases the LSD gearbox oil temperature?
Is it possible /or healthy for the gearbox/ to use the same gearbox oil like without LSD?

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I replaced my diff with a Mfactory, on the ground with hand tools. No shims required. Took about 14 hours, mainly because I'm very meticulous and, again, I was doing it on the ground. Total cost for me was in the low-mid $900 range including parts and fluids. There are various tools you will need on hand as well. Page 5 (I think, I'm on a phone and don't want to search) of my build thread goes through the process and what's required. You DON'T need a diff install kit, you can buy all the parts separately and save yourself about $40. I HIGHLY recommend using a lift as it will save you a lot of time and a sore back, but it's not required. You can also reuse the case bolts, just put some blue loctite on them.
Where did you source the diff bearings outside of the lsd install kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk