Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Looking for a new exhaust

Hey guys, I've been looking around for a new exhaust for the FiST and I've been leaning towards the Thermal R&D since it seems like it's the most popular and I prefer the sound of it to many others I heard. My only question is with it being a 3" system, will it be bad? I was hoping to stick to a 2.5" since I don't plan to do an upgraded turbo kit on the car for a quite awhile (if ever). I think a MAPerformance video I watched mentioned sticking to 2.5" if you can if you don't plan to turbo upgrade.

Anyways...just asking for thoughts on whether it would be okay to run the Thermal exhaust or not. I think it would but I wanted to ask some people that know these cars better than I do.

Current mods for reference-
-Boomba Racing 50/50 BOV
-Cobb AP (Stage 1, 93 oct)

Mikey456

I would not worry about it IMO The back pressure starts at size of the catalytic converter. The sound difference I think would due to the difference in the size of the tubing. A lot of folks on this forum say that the cat back does not make much difference in power. Just sound.

LucasHigh

Premium Account
If you want your car to sound better buy the thermal if you want it to perform better get a downpipe, however you will still get a pretty good sound with a different downpipe with the stock exhaust.
I am catless with the thermal exhaust

Hey guys, I've been looking around for a new exhaust for the FiST and I've been leaning towards the Thermal R&D since it seems like it's the most popular and I prefer the sound of it to many others I heard. My only question is with it being a 3" system, will it be bad? I was hoping to stick to a 2.5" since I don't plan to do an upgraded turbo kit on the car for a quite awhile (if ever). I think a MAPerformance video I watched mentioned sticking to 2.5" if you can if you don't plan to turbo upgrade.

Anyways...just asking for thoughts on whether it would be okay to run the Thermal exhaust or not. I think it would but I wanted to ask some people that know these cars better than I do.

Current mods for reference-
-Boomba Racing 50/50 BOV
-Cobb AP (Stage 1, 93 oct)
From what everyone writes, the exhaust won't affect anything unless you upgrade to a high flow cat or catless downpipe. And a high flow cat/catless downpipe won't matter unless you increase the flow of the exhaust manifold (tubular or ported). And an increase flow exhaust manifold won't matter unless you go Big Turbo. Going bigger 3" catback exhaust won't affect anything except sound if you have the OEM downpipe. @M-Sport fan has a 3" cp-e with stock downpipe i think if you want his trusted take.

And even if you go Big Turbo, you don't need ANY of those other things. They're just nice to have if you want to add a little more HP safely.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
On stock turbo, the catback makes literally no difference. Could probably argue that even with a big turbo, a 3" isn't really necessary.

OP
R
Thread Starter #6
Thanks everyone, I know my power gains are going to be really minimal with just a catback, I just want better sound at this point. I'm looking at doing an exhaust and the rear motor mounts the same weekend so I appreciate the advice! Looks like I'll be going Thermal R&D, now I just need to find a vendor with a decent price lol

haste

1000 Post Club
Just gotta say I LOVE my CPE. It is not for everyone though. It does have slight drone under load between 2700-3000 RPMs or so but is bearable. If you do a lot of highway driving at 70-80mph in hilly terrain it may not be for you, otherwise it's great.

My CPE with tubular manifold and S280 sounds amazing.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Just gotta say I LOVE my CPE. It is not for everyone though. It does have slight drone under load between 2700-3000 RPMs or so but is bearable. If you do a lot of highway driving at 70-80mph in hilly terrain it may not be for you, otherwise it's great.

My CPE with tubular manifold and S280 sounds amazing.
What downipipe? I bet that sounds awesome.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Man I noticed exhausts went up like 200 bucks across the board, most brands at all vendors.

haste

1000 Post Club
What downipipe? I bet that sounds awesome.
It's a complete turbo back CPE system. Only on my 2nd revision for tuning on the S280 and it already sounds great. Should sound even better when it has more oomph thrown into the tune. =D
The pops when hitting the fuel cut at the RPM limit are insane.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
It's a complete turbo back CPE system. Only on my 2nd revision for tuning on the S280 and it already sounds great. Should sound even better when it has more oomph thrown into the tune. =D
The pops when hitting the fuel cut at the RPM limit are insane.
I bet that sounds wild. Catless?

haste

1000 Post Club
Yeah there’s really no way other than a go pro with good mic
Don't have a mic attached to it but I believe this video replicates the sound I get inside the cabin very well. ;)

I was able to borrow a buddies GoPro 4.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Thanks everyone, I know my power gains are going to be really minimal with just a catback, I just want better sound at this point. I'm looking at doing an exhaust and the rear motor mounts the same weekend so I appreciate the advice! Looks like I'll be going Thermal R&D, now I just need to find a vendor with a decent price lol
You will not gain even a tenth of a pony anywhere in the power band from a 3" cat-back on the factory snail/down pipe/manifold, but you will not hurt anything, power/torque wise either.

You WILL gain some 'sound', which is *mainly why* I went with the 3" CP-E resonated NEXUS system (with my hearing loss I could not even hear the factory exhaust 'note' AT ALL, causing me to over-rev on take off and shifts!!).

*I also had fantasies of going big turbo way down the road with this car, albeit that is now fading as even a remote possibility. :(

The Thermal was not yet available for our rides way back when I bought the CP-E system from Ron.