Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Looking for helpful dealers

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
So I'm thinking about sending emails to the service managers of some dealers asking if they were mod-friendly. Below you what I intend to send. Feel free to give it a read and let me know what you think.

Hi there,

My name is (name), and I am the owner of a Fiesta ST and am interested in getting into the modding world for my car. I know some dealers will work on a modified car with tunes and the likes, and some are a lot more stringent with the vehicles they work on. Before I pursue any modifications, I was wondering if I took my car to you with mods and a tune, would you be able to work on it and help me out if something goes wrong under warranty due to an aftermarket part? To summarize, are you a mod-friendly dealer? Thank you very much.

(name)

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I hope you are aware that dealers are not able to answer that.
Working on the car is one thing but with mods there is no way for them to determine a time for the work as it would not be in a book.
Next it is Ford or an aftermarket maintenance company that pays for warranty work and they won't pay for work on mods.
You only have the Magnuson Moss Act to protect you.

Good Luck

OP
Hypergram

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
I hope you are aware that dealers are not able to answer that.
Working on the car is one thing but with mods there is no way for them to determine a time for the work as it would not be in a book.
Next it is Ford or an aftermarket maintenance company that pays for warranty work and they won't pay for work on mods.
You only have the Magnuson Moss Act to protect you.

Good Luck
Thank you, but I've heard of so many mod-friendly dealers. I just wanna find one.

OP
Hypergram

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
So, do you guys that run tunes and have a warranty just hope nothing happens, and if it does, try and get lucky with your service manager?

HBEcoBeaST

So, do you guys that run tunes and have a warranty just hope nothing happens, and if it does, try and get lucky with your service manager?
Yes and uninstall the tune before you take it in for any type of service. I believe in the 'dont ask, don't tell' philosophy and just being polite in general. Most standard bolt ons like intakes and cat back exhausts will not raise an eyebrow, but if you have an oil line come loose on your aftermarket big turbo.....

I don't know your plans for the car, but if you just plan on doing a tune with the stock turbo and some bolt-ons, you're good. Our motors can handle a LOT. It's when you start messing with turbos, motor internals, fuel pumps, etc that warranty will be hard to claim.

Another good place to ask is your local car groups on facebook or instagram. Good chances are a member works at a dealership or shop in your area and can direct you accordingly.

OP
Hypergram

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
Yes and uninstall the tune before you take it in for any type of service. I believe in the 'dont ask, don't tell' philosophy and just being polite in general. Most standard bolt ons like intakes and cat back exhausts will not raise an eyebrow, but if you have an oil line come loose on your aftermarket big turbo.....

I don't know your plans for the car, but if you just plan on doing a tune with the stock turbo and some bolt-ons, you're good. Our motors can handle a LOT. It's when you start messing with turbos, motor internals, fuel pumps, etc that warranty will be hard to claim.

Another good place to ask is your local car groups on facebook or instagram. Good chances are a member works at a dealership or shop in your area and can direct you accordingly.
I don't plan on doing anything to the turbo for a while. For now, all I wanna touch is the intercooler, catch can, tires and suspension, and cosmetic stuff. Thank you. Once my AP comes in the post I'll try a Cobb OTS tune for a while before I get my FMIC.

HBEcoBeaST

I don't plan on doing anything to the turbo for a while. For now, all I wanna touch is the intercooler, catch can, tires and suspension, and cosmetic stuff. Thank you. Once my AP comes in the post I'll try a Cobb OTS tune for a while before I get my FMIC.
You will be good with all that stuff. THe cobb ots tunes are a little weak but looks like you have a proper upgrade path planned ahead. Regardless what the dealer tells you, unless your mod directly affects what was broken, they can't deny warranty just because you installed a basic aftermarket part. And if they do deny warranty, ask them to put it in writing. Great way to get a business to eat their words if they are being less than honest.

OP
Hypergram

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
You will be good with all that stuff. THe cobb ots tunes are a little weak but looks like you have a proper upgrade path planned ahead. Regardless what the dealer tells you, unless your mod directly affects what was broken, they can't deny warranty just because you installed a basic aftermarket part. And if they do deny warranty, ask them to put it in writing. Great way to get a business to eat their words if they are being less than honest.
Thank you again. I always document everything, especially something as important. Also, I bought the AP used and it comes with a stratified tune, so I've got that too. All I need is the intercooler first.

HBEcoBeaST

Thank you again. I always document everything, especially something as important. Also, I bought the AP used and it comes with a stratified tune, so I've got that too. All I need is the intercooler first.
I'm not 100% sure but I don't think you can utilize a "used" stratified tune since they marry the tune specifically to your VIN. I'm running their e30 tune on a stock FMIC but I let them know the parts I'm running.

Either way a tune from Stratified or any of the other recommended tuners is really worth it. And if you can go e30 your happiness level will go up, I promise.

OP
Hypergram

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
I'm not 100% sure but I don't think you can utilize a "used" stratified tune since they marry the tune specifically to your VIN. I'm running their e30 tune on a stock FMIC but I let them know the parts I'm running.

Either way a tune from Stratified or any of the other recommended tuners is really worth it. And if you can go e30 your happiness level will go up, I promise.
Once I get everything settled, I intend on getting a Dizzytune (since it's less aggressive) with a 91 and E30 option, as well as the Dizzypop