Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Looking to increase engine and turbo spool sound?

At the risk of sounding like a "ricer" I just deleted my symposer the other day on my 2016 with 40k miles..

The car is quiet as a mouse now, lol, I like the lack of fake sound but I'd like to hear the turbo spool because I hear nothing till the engine revs over 5k rpm.

Im not looking for huge power numbers from an intake - I know that doesnt exist, but I would like to avoid losing power. In the future I may change the cat back, and get an accessport with a mild tune.

Would the following help:?

https://whooshmotorsports.com/colle...017-crossover-pipe-kit?variant=15261062070335
https://whooshmotorsports.com/colle...low-silicone-induction-hose-kit-free-shipping
https://whooshmotorsports.com/colle...-to-convert-2016-fiesta-st-to-2014-2015-specs
and then maybe..
https://whooshmotorsports.com/colle...ucts/fiesta-st200-airbox-w-cold-air-feed-hose
and even more of a maybe
https://whooshmotorsports.com/colle...air-big-mouth-intake-free-shipping-all-colors

This is a hell of a lot of money for an intake - maybe the Mishimoto intake would be "better" provided I get the 14/15 evap harness? I read that whole thread and wouldnt trust their "fix" on the '16 cars.

Ive never been a fan of cold air intakes - I am just too paranoid of sucking up water - roads get flooded easily where I live.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
If you want Turbo Noise...Get any open style "CAI" intake. Pick your poison...just remember that you may have to buy the adapter to fix the Check engine light that may crop up.

OP
B
Thread Starter #3
If you want Turbo Noise...Get any open style "CAI" intake. Pick your poison...just remember that you may have to buy the adapter to fix the Check engine light that may crop up.
Was trying to avoid those types of intakes - I think I am trying to go about this in the hardest way possible.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have a Intake hose.....ST200 Air box with a high flow panel air filter. I also have deleted my Sound Symposer....I run the Thermal R& D exhaust also...very very tasty piece I might add. I run a Gen2 GTX2860R ....it makes some noise with this setup but its not over bearing and its got a TIAL BOV.

OP
B
Thread Starter #5
I have a Intake hose.....ST200 Air box with a high flow panel air filter. I also have deleted my Sound Symposer....I run the Thermal R& D exhaust also...very very tasty piece I might add. I run a Gen2 GTX2860R ....it makes some noise with this setup but its not over bearing and its got a TIAL BOV.
The intake hose sounds like a good place to start. I'm not looking for obnoxious, I just want some extra sound. It's just too quiet with the symposer deleted (but I don't miss "fake" noise).

I also have to get the 14/15 evap hoses.. Lol

Whoosh crossover, whoosh hotside j pipe and a panel filter will definitely net some increased intake and turbo sound. Try a foam filter alone first, going from 3 inches of thick paper to 1.5 of foam let’s a lot more engine noise through. I find the 1.6t to have a nice growl. I actually have no plans to change the intake hose portion.

OP
B
Thread Starter #8
st200 box....intake hose ...high flow panel filter
Whoosh crossover, whoosh hotside j pipe and a panel filter will definitely net some increased intake and turbo sound. Try a foam filter alone first, going from 3 inches of thick paper to 1.5 of foam let’s a lot more engine noise through. I find the 1.6t to have a nice growl. I actually have no plans to change the intake hose portion.
I ordered a RAMAIR panel filter last night so ill see what that does first.

Does the intake hose help any with sound or just increase power slightly? Same question for the crossover pipe.

I may just dremel a hole in the bottom of the stock airbox and buy the cold air hose from Woosh.

OP
B
Thread Starter #9
I got my panel filter today and noticed that it did increase induction sound slightly. I'd like a little more.. does the metal crossover pipe or silicone induction hose do anything for sound or just add slight power?

I cut a hole in the bottom of my stock airbox for almost st200 airbox and for $free99.

Im thinking the car is quieter than it really is because that symposer was so damned loud. When I was test driving the different Fiestas it always sounded like they had aftermarket exhausts. Not that there is anything wrong with cat back exhausts, I just like hearing the engine & turbo spool more.

Last edited:
I got my panel filter today and noticed that it did increase induction sound slightly. I'd like a little more.. does the metal crossover pipe or silicone induction hose do anything for sound or just add slight power?

I cut a hole in the bottom of my stock airbox for almost st200 airbox and for $free99.

I have the stock airbox with holes on the bottom and fender side, a panel filter, induction hose, crossover pipe, turbo inlet, symposer delete and resonator delete.
The engine sound with my mods almost approaches the same level as the symposer did when it was installed.
The crossover pipe and resonator delete added more to the increased engine noise than all the other mods.

OP
B
Thread Starter #11
I have the stock airbox with holes on the bottom and fender side, a panel filter, induction hose, crossover pipe, turbo inlet, symposer delete and resonator delete.
The engine sound with my mods almost approaches the same level as the symposer did when it was installed.
The crossover pipe and resonator delete added more to the increased engine noise than all the other mods.
Resonator as in the exhaust? I may do the crossover pipe next along with the silicone hose from Mountune since I wouldnt need to change my evap lines. As of right now the car is pretty loud from the outside, I was hoping what I was doing would increase sound in the cabin when I had the windows up.

Yes resonator deleted from the exhaust increased the interior engine noise.
I'm sure it increased the exterior noise also, I just can't hear it from inside the car.

The crossover pipe is a win win for you then, it increases cabin sound and adds a little HP.

OP
B
Thread Starter #13
Yes resonator deleted from the exhaust increased the interior engine noise.
I'm sure it increased the exterior noise also, I just can't hear it from inside the car.

The crossover pipe is a win win for you then, it increases cabin sound and adds a little HP.
Sweet, thanks!

jeff

2000 Post Club
I’ve done it all, resonator delete, crossover and induction pipe and big mouth intake and all of that.

Each of those added a little bit of noise but if you want some real intake noise you need a CPE intake. I had one on my car for about two years and finally had to sell it because it was too loud. So much whooshing you would not believe it.

So if you want intake noise that is what I would recommend.

Injen or CPE. Injen has an open-to-the-engine-bay filter while CPE has its filter inside an air box. They are both all metal construction so you get more resonance and whooshy sounds.

Injen is a 'hot air intake'.

I have a Mishimoto intake which is silicone before the turbo and metal before that with an air box. It's not as loud as I hoped for.

HBEcoBeaST

The intake "hose" doesn't add a bunch of sound IME. I really love my ITG intake/ Whoosh hose combo. The ITG is an "open" style intake but it mounts below the headlight far away from the engine and low down to avoid hot air. I do not notice any type of "heat soak" at all and boy is it loud outside the car, sounds like a BOV and all types of mean turbo noises. I also love the fact that unlike the 2JR I can roll up the windows and can't even hear it unless the radio is completely off. Just my 2cents. Honestly if you just want noise, the GFB vent to atmosphere will give you performance gains and noise.

The st200 box is pretty darn quiet, although it performs excellent if you just want power.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Yes all the other parts add a little bit of noise but it’s getting that open exposed filter that gets most of it. And while the CPE is quite loud, from what I’ve read and heard it is the 2JR that is the most obnoxious.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Yes all the other parts add a little bit of noise but it’s getting that open exposed filter that gets most of it. And while the CPE is quite loud, from what I’ve read and heard it is the 2JR that is the most obnoxious.
With the stock DV the 2jr is really annoying because its constantly waffling between open, closed, half open, 2/3 open, etc. and the plastic piston never really seals. Once I reinstalled my Turbosmart EM2 with the 2JR it became a lot less aggravating - you still get suction noises but now the hissy partial-bypass sound. The turbosmart even sounded kinda neat with the stock dv, every once in a while you'd hear a little chittering from the intake at high boost levels. Sounds neato. Stock DV with 2jr, I was not a fan.

OP
B
Thread Starter #20
So far I installed a foam filter, and took a saw to the bottom of my stock airbox (I should have waited to have done this but too late now), and last night I installed a Woosh crossover pipe. Man it sounds great! I have a Mountune silicone induction hose on order so ill install that once it arrives. Its loud enough when I get on it and still pretty quiet when I am cruising around.